Buying Sdvice - 2018 A6 50TDI

joost

Reaction score
Hi all

Been registered on here for a while, back when I had an old B5 A4, but shamefully I've not been active for some time,..

I'm currently in an older A5 3.0tdi Tiptronic and am looking to buy a 2018 A6 50 TDI auto with 34k miles.

Is there anything I need to look out for? Do these have an Achilles Heel (or heels?)...

Any advice gratefully received!

Most of the issues on the C8 are software related. The MMI software was clearly released way too early and is ridden with bugs. Also on early cars, as the one you are looking at is, are prone to throwing errors with the camera based assist systems. One test is to start the car and then a few minutes later turn it off and then restart it. You may find that the yellow assist system warning light fails to go out and also you get error messages. It is a bug and irritating but clears itself providing there is about a 10 min gap between switching off and restarting. Later software release have improved things but it still happens (happened to me on my 2021 car on Saturday).

Be aware that wireless CarPlay and Android Auto were not available on early cars. I think wireless CarPlay can be added to even early cars but wireless android auto requires MIB-3 and that is only in cars from mid-2020 onwards.

To use all of the connectivity functionality in the car requires an active Audi Connect licence which needs to be bought from Audi (new cars come with 3 years free)

Reactions: joost
Thanks @elan2s that's really helpful - bit of a pita about the assist based warning! Suppose you get used to it eventually...

Thanks again for taking time to reply, it's much appreciated