S6 C8 Reliability w/o warranty..

tonipahnig

Reaction score
So I've been an owner of the 2019 45 TFSI A6 C8 for the past 3 years. Bought it CPO at around 30kkm mileage and have it under warranty until June 2024. There was one recall but apart from that the car has been bulletproof. It's at 67kkm. I love it. It rides like a dream, coming from 3 generations of Skoda Octavia estates, an A6 wagon has forever been a dream of mine. There was one more dream, however - the S6 Avant..
I went through some life **** last 2 years and feel like I want to splurge on one of my 'endgame' cars. I'm debating getting a C8 S6 3.0 TDI Avant (I know it's a diesel but I'm in europe and don't care). I'm thinking of getting a 2020 or 2021 with up to 40-45k km mileage. Most offers that I see are CPO with up to 12 months of warranty that could be extended by maybe 12 months and then a 'Car Protect' which is kind of like a warranty extension by VAG here in europe.
My question to everyone here is - if the car 2-3 years old will be CPO and later inspected by my local audi dealership and I do all my checkups on time - should I be worried about this car getting to e.g. 150k km within 5 years? Or should that engine be rather worry-free? I don't drive like a maniac, but since forever, I have been kind-of scared of high mileage cars and would like to keep this one for at least 4 or 5 years.

Can't answer your specific question, but one point I would make is that you should look for a car with the MIB-3 MMI system rather than MIB-2 system that your current car will have. You can determine which it is by whether it has USB-A (MIB-2) or USB-C (MIB-3) sockets in the driver's arm rest. Whilst there is not too much difference int he functionality of the two systems, the MIB-3 version seems to be more stable and less prone to issues, it also supports wireless CarPlay and if not can be made to support wireless Android Auto

Historically within the VAG group the v6 and v8 engines (both diesel and petrol) have had a much shorter life span than the 4 cylinder engines.

This is drawn from general consensus of the internet:
- An average of 300km-500km for the 4 cylinder before complete failure or beyond economical repair.
- An average of 250km-400km for the v6/v8 cylinder before complete failure or beyond economical repair.

This is down to a number of things, moving parts complex designs etc. The interesting point, regarding field research and how that translates to the reliability metric is the committed expenditure of research and development VAG group has invested a lot more money into refining the 4 cylinder engine variants globally then any other engine variant when it comes to reliability and serviceability this is likely due to the possible risk of defect costs arising from the units sold.

VAG group (Europe) historically has sold on average 75 4 cylinder units for every 25 v6/v8 cylinder units. Since 2018, with model line up changes this is now 90 4 cylinder units for every 10 v6/v8 cylinder units.

If you need reassurance for reliability you will not get it from the statistics I'm afraid. You should make the purchase on the commitment you can factor the likihood of incurred running costs with the possibility (if a daily driver) around 300km+ you may be facing significant bills in maintenance vs looking to move onto something else.

If you are looking at buying the vehicle has a long term keeper you may wish to consider a 2nd vehicle to offset the wear and tear, and if that is the case i wouldn't be looking at an S6 (diesel) and look at an RS6.

Audi's line up is clear in regards to their market, they consider the A6 platform a lower management business vehicle for business and personal commuting, the S6 is regarded as the senior executive's company vehicle, and they consider the RS6 his weekend toy. According to your personal income you should look at addressing where this places your interest in either model of vehicle and weigh in your personal opinions to the latter.

Last edited:
Do you have any actual references to cite to back that up? Because it looks utterly made up.

The year of S6 you are looking at will most likely be the EA897Evo3 engine with the cast aluminium intake manifold. There isn't much information out there just yet but I wouldn't think it would be less reliable than the Evo2 of which there are a few cars with 200,000 miles.

Do you have any actual references to cite to back that up? Because it looks utterly made up.
The numbers are speculative yes…the numbers have been converted from data in the annual VAG group annual delivery report including an internal report (dealer network) that is not available to public.

Speculative, you say. If you are using actual data, even if you can’t share it, the numbers would not be just speculative.

Your original response reads as personal opinion only with no basis, and that is useful only to you without any evidence.

Speculative, you say. If you are using actual data, even if you can’t share it, the numbers would not be just speculative.

Your original response reads as personal opinion only with no basis, and that is useful only to you without any evidence.
Go google and get hold of the public available document.

If VW group state that in 2022 they sold 1,111,316 units of model x, and y. Of which are only available only in 4 cylinder format.

They then state in 2022 they sold 110,518 units of model z. Of which are available in either: 4 cylinder, v6 units. Then the speculative data suggests that for every 10 units of x, y sold, 1 unit of z units sold.

Speculative data that has some basis on actual data of units sold according to VW group data.

No basis? An absolutely argumentative statement with out any basis itself which is your personal opinion without any evidence of fact finding.

Can't answer your specific question, but one point I would make is that you should look for a car with the MIB-3 MMI system rather than MIB-2 system that your current car will have. You can determine which it is by whether it has USB-A (MIB-2) or USB-C (MIB-3) sockets in the driver's arm rest. Whilst there is not too much difference int he functionality of the two systems, the MIB-3 version seems to be more stable and less prone to issues, it also supports wireless CarPlay and if not can be made to support wireless Android Auto
good thing I read that as I spent hours to try get my apple car play work wirelessly. I've been told this option can be enabled but looks like it is the MMI version as I have normal USB in the arm rest...shame

So I've been an owner of the 2019 45 TFSI A6 C8 for the past 3 years. Bought it CPO at around 30kkm mileage and have it under warranty until June 2024. There was one recall but apart from that the car has been bulletproof. It's at 67kkm. I love it. It rides like a dream, coming from 3 generations of Skoda Octavia estates, an A6 wagon has forever been a dream of mine. There was one more dream, however - the S6 Avant..
I went through some life **** last 2 years and feel like I want to splurge on one of my 'endgame' cars. I'm debating getting a C8 S6 3.0 TDI Avant (I know it's a diesel but I'm in europe and don't care). I'm thinking of getting a 2020 or 2021 with up to 40-45k km mileage. Most offers that I see are CPO with up to 12 months of warranty that could be extended by maybe 12 months and then a 'Car Protect' which is kind of like a warranty extension by VAG here in europe.
My question to everyone here is - if the car 2-3 years old will be CPO and later inspected by my local audi dealership and I do all my checkups on time - should I be worried about this car getting to e.g. 150k km within 5 years? Or should that engine be rather worry-free? I don't drive like a maniac, but since forever, I have been kind-of scared of high mileage cars and would like to keep this one for at least 4 or 5 years.
I was in the same boat as you. The only difference was I went into my S6 from 40 TDI A6. Unfortunately I was too worried about the warranty and I've managed to get very good better then Audi own warranty from third party with no claims limit, no claim value limit and also covering some wear and tear. I suspect is different over here in UK then in rest of Europe but I personally wouldn't buy the S6 without proper cover there is too much advance technology in the car like that additional electric turbocharger etc...My warranty also allowed me to increase power for up to 25 % :)