S3 8V drumming noise

Trs001

Reaction score
Guys I need some help….

So recently I’ve noticed a drumming noise coming from the rear of the car not so much ant lower speeds but very noticeable from 65-70. I thought it could’ve been tyres so I’ve had all 4 replaced and balanced. Took it for a drive and could still hear it.
I’ve now also replaced both wheel bearings and can still hear the noise but now louder.

Any suggestions??

Thankyou!

As you have done rear tyres/balance and bearings then rear differential is prob top of the list. I doubt rear brakes / discs would cause this but can’t rule it out.

As you have done rear tyres/balance and bearings then rear differential is prob top of the list. I doubt rear brakes / discs would cause this but can’t rule it out.
I do also need to mention that I took it for a drive after I wrote this post, same thing again I could hear the noise so I pulled over. Passenger side disc was warm to touch but drivers side was way too hot for me to touch. When the bearings were done all the sliders for the callipers were greased but I am still having people saying to me it could possibly be the caliper ?

Get her on a car lift with rear wheels in the air off of the ground, dis the pads and/or calipers and put her in drive, see if noise persists?

Passenger side disc was warm to touch but drivers side was way too hot for me to touch. When the bearings were done all the sliders for the callipers were greased but I am still having people saying to me it could possibly be the caliper ?

Electric handbrake? I had exactly that problem with one rear brake seized on shortly after new discs and pads were fitted. Luckily I didn't drive far and the only clue was the smell of hot brakes when I got out of the car. It was a faulty rear caliper; one with the electric handbrake. A new caliper was needed - it clearly didn't take kindly to the pistons being retracted during the work. Your car would also have had the brake caliper pistons retracted during the wheel bearing replacement work.