Anybody has the airbag recall done?

I’ve not heard of anything recently… Know there was some talk of a recall some years ago but I never got a letter. I think you can check on the Gov website for outstanding recalls, if not ring you’re local Audi dealer.

IMG 5353

Randomly mine has too… didn’t last time I checked back in January. Probably worth us all checking this. Nice one gents, will be getting onto Audi next week.

Says mine needs a recall but doesn't say what the recall is for...

Yeah it doesn’t say what it’s for, just to contact Audi. It’ll be the airbag though

I wonder if it's a fairly simple job...I don't really want the dashboard to have to be ripped out...

Not sure they will do mine with the rs4 steering wheel fitted unless the defective part is located elsewhere.

Airbag safety recall​

The worldwide recall of Takata airbags affects many manufacturers, including Audi models. These airbags have been installed in some vehicles between 2005-2018. If the airbag is triggered in an accident, the pressure generated when the gas generator is ignited may be too high. This can result in pieces of metal being ejected inside the vehicle. Enter your vehicle identification number (VIN) below to check whether your vehicle is affected. The list of vehicles is updated regularly, therefore, please check here on a recurring basis whether your vehicle is affected

what are the chances of all the B7 made I get one of thec39 effected.

what are the chances of all the B7 made I get one of thec39 effected.
I know right. Weird it's only a few effected. I can drop mine in yet, id be too embarrassed with it's crusty wings lol. I do have brand new wings ready to go on, just waiting for them to be painted in a couple of weeks so when that's sorted I'll drop it in for the recall.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
If it takes two hours they must need to pull a fair bit out to replace the defective part.

You can book in online here:

If you put your VIN in, it’ll confirm the recall.

I’m not particularly looking forward to taking my wagon in. I wonder if they’ll notice my mismatched seating :whistle2:

I had this same Takata recall on my 2007 Subaru....crikey must be 8 or more years ago now...but was a very quick job.

Just checked the Audi link (thanks Rob) and it says mine is affected....two hour job must be quite involved, and after all that it may not actually need the airbag doing.

Just booked my oldbus in for the 28th June , with a courtesy car for the day.
Seems to effect a fair few models around the same era, the guy had already booked in two 2006 A6's this morning.
Anyway,its a free fix so cant complain. :thumbs up:

I expect i'll get a letter about the recall 2 days after its been done..lol

I think it’s just a glovebox out and some small bits to replace the problematic unit.

I think it’s just a glovebox out and some small bits to replace the problematic unit.
My fear is broken hinges and scratched plastics that were "There already"
A lot of techs are just bodgers now, they know it and so do their managers even worse. Sorry, but just speaking from experience. Corners are being cut all over the place to sell more hours so they get more bonus, trust me, it's going on....

With this sort of situation I make it crystal clear when I drop the car off that I know exactly what marks are where and will be inspecting it at the dealer before accepting the car back, just because it’s an older car is no excuse for shoddy workmanship .

Just booked my oldbus in for the 28th June , with a courtesy car for the day.
Seems to effect a fair few models around the same era, the guy had already booked in two 2006 A6's this morning.
Anyway,its a free fix so cant complain. :thumbs up:
Good to hear Rob. I’m going to ring Audi next week and get booked in. Did you wangle the courtesy car for free or did they charge for it?

My old wagon is not exactly concours condition, far from it, I still don’t want the courtesy wash and clean though. Always seems like a rush job with inferior quality products :sadlike:

Good to hear Rob. I’m going to ring Audi next week and get booked in. Did you wangle the courtesy car for free or did they charge for it?
They just asked if I was going to wait, I politely said no thanks I'll take a courtesy car, and the guy said that was fine, no charge full stop for anything.
what they give me is another matter..lol
In the past, they have supplied me with some nice kit, not sure they will be so generous on this one.

Reactions: B7Tourer and Rob Avant
Only 39 cars effected seems a bit low.
Mine's got the recall too, Rob. I think judging from here, it's way more than 39 cars affected; maybe they mean 39 variations? It's like waiting in one of those Ministry's for years; being long forgotten, then suddenly someone calls your name. Earlier Audi's had this recall so I'd wondered in the past, if they'd get round to the B7s. This issue was very widespread since Takata made most all the airbags in every car going. I think Audi wait till the last possible legal moment for this; when they reckon there will be fewer on the road, to minimise costs. It's true that there's a lot less B7's around now than when I bought mine 6 years ago, even; but they may get a shock - I hope I get in there while they still are of a mind to hand out courtesy cars.

Nonetheless, the old gal is tidy, but she's getting a clean and spruce, so as some snooty Audi staff can't look too much down on her.:thumbs up:

Last edited:
I think it is 39 B7’s , still seems very low given how many would have been on the production line at anyone time.
Maybe it is only certain spec cars that are effected , or , that’s all that’s left on the road that are affected.

That seems incredible; this is just 1 forum and quite a few of us here have the recall. The vast majority of owners don't go on forums or know of them. Judging by how all forums tend to amplify 'issues' that the vast majority never experience; I would say there is a good chance that most B7s of this era have the recall.

Unless there really is only a few more than 39 of us left, yikes!

I did a bit more research and I think it’s more down to small batches that were defective.
Given certain special edition etc were made at the RS factory and are effected and other at the main factory that were also effected may suggest batches of faulty units , A6 of the same age are effected a fair bit.

According to 'How Many left', there are just 5 2005 140 TDIs (that BLB killed 'em all), and 224 for 2006, like mine, left registered on the road; that is not sorned, for which there are no figures. In the UK this is obviously. That's still pretty shocking, though this is just one model of A4 B7; probably the most common variant.

I reckon once you've done all that work, Rob to the old bus, you should garage it in cotton wool - it's gonna be worth a fortune one day!

Can you do a similar search for the 2.0tfsi Quattro 220 special editions avants
Would nice to see how many left given the amount that get scraped with engine failure.

Not easy to get the exact model on a search but seems to be about 50ish left on the road.

What year Rob? For 2006 that is 233, for 2007 279; but it's a bit difficult to be sure I am looking at the exact model. Have a check here:

In any case it seems that the 140 TDI, that would have been by far the biggest seller has suffered the most loss; that figures since they are not as cherished as others; just old bangers mostly ending up with people who would scrap before uneconomical repair. It's quite shocking still though because they would have sold them in the many many thousands then. There was quite a high survival rate and much higher number when I last looked a few years ago.

If rarity alone was an indication of value; a running BLB engined 140 TDI from 2005, would be one of the rarest and most valuable Audis on the roads. But I suppose if you've got one and you haven't sorted the oil pump, you'll be a lot more worried about a sudden failure there than an airbag going off.

Last edited: