TPMS Malfunction

SussexBunn

Reaction score
Morning - for some time been losing pressure on one tyre and have to top up every few weeks and store new pressures. I generally do all 4 tyres at the same time. The mechanic thought it might be down to corrosion on the alloy when he checked the tyre. The car is an S3 2017, Turbine design alloys.

Yesterday I went through the same routine and later in the day received a TPMS malfunction which flashed for a couple of minutes then stopped, but still displaying the tyre pressure warning indicator, and letters TPMS on the dash. This happens now each time I start the car.

I found this page which gives more info on the fault https://thehonestmechaniccolorado.com/audi-tpms-malfunction/ and was interested to know if anyone had tried the disconnect battery and if it worked.

I suspect it is stem corrosion and if that is the case can that be repaired or would it be a replacement alloy ?

One last thing do you think that it will be OK to drive the car for the next week as booked in for a service on Friday as the alert is nowhere near dramatic as the low coolant warning.

thanks very much.

Damian

The system your vehicle uses is based on wheel speed. A tire with less air will spin faster than the others and thus trigger an alarm. You could have an ABS speed sensor issue.

When You check Your tire pressures, when TPMS flashes, did You find a wheel with low pressure? Is it always the same wheel?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Pleased to say that I stored the tyre pressures again today, yesterday this failed and the alert has gone. Driven a fair miles today and no recurrence so looks good.

thanks.

In nearly five years of ownership I have had two false alarms, both on a motorway a significant distance between exits and with a caravan on the back,. Initially not a happy bunny, but in hindsight a bit happier.
Previous to this I owned a Skoda Yeti, so same base vehicle underneath and I'm guessing same software etc. This also had a couple of false alarms in my 5 years of ownership.

Colin

Can you just not check the tyre pressures manually every day to check whether or not it's the indirect TPMS giving false readings or if it's the tyre actually loosing pressure?

Take the wheel off and soak it with a weak soapy solution. Wait. For a slow puncture like you appear to have, it may take a minute or two but what you are looking for is a fine foam to appear. That’s your slow puncture. Make sure you soak the valve and the wheel bead area as well as the tread. You're looking for this:

IMG 6019