Tailgate Trim removal advice.

Jonfun

2016 A4 Avant B9 190 Quattro S-Line
Reaction score

HI All

Was hoping for a little advice on the process of removing the Tailgate plastic trim on my Avant.

Due to some water ingress issues and debris in the wiper washer pipes, I need to replace the rear wiper motor and possibly the boot switch ...

Hopefully going to have a crack at this myself, but wondered how awkward removing the Tailgate plastic trim is going to be?

Any gotcha's or special tools needed at all?

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

Jon

Last edited:

HI All

Was hoping for a little advice on the process of removing the Tailgate plastic trim on my Avant.

Due to some water ingress issues and debris in the wiper washer pipes, I need to replace the rear wiper motor and possibly the boot switch ...

Hopefully going to have a crack at this myself, but wondered how awkward removing the Tailgate plastic trim is going to be?

Any gotcha's or special tools needed at all?

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

Jon
This is for B9 Q5 but I suspect B9 A4 Avant won't be very different. There's a couple of Torx screws. The majority of the plastic trim uses metal clips that engage with the tailgate.

A set of anti-marring trim tools are very handy to get leverage initially. For interior lights - you can normally prize out and disconnect wire. For buttons such as auto-boot close, remove trim, then disconnect wiring, or indeed remove the button altogether. If you're replacing the wiper motor - there will be a Valeo part number on it already. From memory it's 10mm - perfect with 1/4 socket and ratchet.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPxQt_GnsPk