A3 8y 2.0TDI

Paulie69

Reaction score
Good morning all.....

I have a 2023 a3 35tdi black edition and it has broken down twice now with the same issue. Both times it was very cold. All lights on but it came up with lots of beeps and messages and now yet again the air bag light is on and the yellow waning triangle saying take to dealers. Has anyone had this ???

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 223
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 72
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 68
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 71
  • a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 64
  • a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 69
I have never had this exact fault but I do have a question. On each occasion that it broke down, what did you do to fix it?
The first time was when my wife was in the car after work. I rang Audi service and they sent the AA out and guess what..... it started straight up. The second time, yesterday, I came to put it in the garage and it just came up with a Christmas tree and loads of faults. Went to get the other key and hey presto it started. Audi had it for a software update but obviously nothing do with that. Both times it has left air bag light on and the warning light. I'm an ex technician and to me it seems like a voltage issue ??

Reactions: AdamInKent
How cold exactly? Mine (not TDI though) showcased all the possible warning messages at once, because the parking brake had frozen stuck. That can happen if the air is moist or there's slush flying and then temperature goes below 0 °C. After I had warmed the brake pad a bit with a hair dryer like heating fan the brake got loose. Then after several restarts and few kilometers driving the warning lights cleared themselves one after another.

OBDEleven scan looked interesting after that...

How cold exactly? Mine (not TDI though) showcased all the possible warning messages at once, because the parking brake had frozen stuck. That can happen if the air is moist or there's slush flying and then temperature goes below 0 °C. After I had warmed the brake pad a bit with a hair dryer like heating fan the brake got loose. Then after several restarts and few kilometers driving the warning lights cleared themselves one after another.

OBDEleven scan looked interesting after that...
Around zero to -2. Not the handbrake as the car didnt even crank over. The headlights never dipped in power so maybe not a voltage issue ?

Ok then it sounds like a real problem and a need for inspection. Hard to believe it was a battery issue, since it's not that cold yet. Unless it's now giving bad voltage and should be totally dead if there was more cold. Sometimes only half a year old batteries break down in new cars here, where it can be -25 °C like right now.

Reactions: Paulie69
Ever tried to put it in a heated garage for a day or two?

Around 2 months ago when it was around -10 degrees I got every single warning message there is on my A3 35 tfsi . When I mean every it was literally every message like brakes, tmps, airbag, lights, esc etc.

I called dealer immediately and he told me to just put it inside for a a day or two if I can as he told me it was most likely a faulty sensor or a sensor that had been frozen.

Anyways 24hours in a heated garage did it the next day every message was gone and it never came back.

Ever tried to put it in a heated garage for a day or two?

Around 2 months ago when it was around -10 degrees I got every single warning message there is on my A3 35 tfsi . When I mean every it was literally every message like brakes, tmps, airbag, lights, esc etc.

I called dealer immediately and he told me to just put it inside for a a day or two if I can as he told me it was most likely a faulty sensor or a sensor that had been frozen.

Anyways 24hours in a heated garage did it the next day every message was gone and it never came back.
Too be honest if the dealer told me that they’d be having it back. It’s a car and meant to be outside so in that case not fit for purpose and I’d want it fixing. I don’t think the dealers know what the issue is but know there’s an issue.

Too be honest if the dealer told me that they’d be having it back. It’s a car and meant to be outside so in that case not fit for purpose and I’d want it fixing. I don’t think the dealers know what the issue is but know there’s an issue.
Well I can only talk about my case and when it’s cold new cars usually have problems this is not just an Audi/VW problem funny enough my A3 has had 1/10th of the problems I had with other "new" cars during this winter.

Compared to a 2022 KIA Sportage, 2022 Polestar 2 and my company’s new E-class my A3 has only had this problem once compared to these cars which broke down on me with all kind of problems during this winter.

I would assume some sort of sensor has been freezing which then caused these errors to just all come up at once at least this is what my dealers workshop told me. And No cars are not meant to be outside and be cold started everyday?? Especially not newer cars. Also why would you not just go to your dealer straight away and ask them for help? This is a new car and if something is broken warranty will cover it anyways.

Also I can tell you its most likely not a voltage/Battery problem. I cold started my car last month at -40 and when the voltage is low the car will start but the headlights will not even turn on when you unlock the car.

Well I can only talk about my case and when it’s cold new cars usually have problems this is not just an Audi/VW problem funny enough my A3 has had 1/10th of the problems I had with other "new" cars during this winter.

Compared to a 2022 KIA Sportage, 2022 Polestar 2 and my company’s new E-class my A3 has only had this problem once compared to these cars which broke down on me with all kind of problems during this winter.

I would assume some sort of sensor has been freezing which then caused these errors to just all come up at once at least this is what my dealers workshop told me. And No cars are not meant to be outside and be cold started everyday?? Especially not newer cars. Also why would you not just go to your dealer straight away and ask them for help? This is a new car and if something is broken warranty will cover it anyways.

Also I can tell you its most likely not a voltage/Battery problem. I cold started my car last month at -40 and when the voltage is low the car will start but the headlights will not even turn on when you unlock the car.
cars arent supposed to stay outside in cold weather then ??? not everyone has a garage unfortunately and what happens when you go out for the day and the car is sat then it wont start???? blanket it up ? i have been back to my dealer twice with the same issue. Its a voltage issue not a sensor freezing problem ....

lol I had to read your post a few times to double check.
If a car can’t run properly in winter weather (I mean we are talking UK winters not Canadian ) then I’d say Audi need to stop making cars now.

In over 15 years of owning Audi / VW group cars I’ve never had a winter related issue with any of them, parked outside / inside etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol I had to read your post a few times to double check.
If a car can’t run properly in winter weather (I mean we are talking UK winters not Canadian ) then I’d say Audi need to stop making cars now.

In over 15 years of owning Audi / VW group cars I’ve never had a winter related issue with any of them, parked outside / inside etc.

You must be an expert. Ex as in has been and spurt as little drip ;-)

You must be an expert. Ex as in has been and spurt as little drip ;-)

Hang about I’m referring to the guy who replied to you.
I’m actually in agreement with you, in that if a car can’t be left outside overnight in cold weather then that’s just plain bonkers.

Sorry pal. I think if you can’t leave your car out in the cold then it’s time catch the bus. Unless buses have diesel engines and electrics too. Omg what a mess we are in. Apologies mate.

Reactions: 8YARWY