About FLAC files and album art on MMI

Roaudi

Reaction score
I have a problem with the covers of my FLAC files. I use a micro SD to USB-C adapter with a full card of FLACs perfectly classified and ordered, with their metadata written. The problem comes with the covers, no matter how much I attach them correctly to the file, in the MMI they simply do not appear, or they appear replaced by those used by the Gracenote system. I have read that it could be due to a resolution issue, but I have tried making them smaller, below 600x600px and nothing... There is no correlation to know what I have to do. In some cases, such as albums that are more recent than the Gracenote database, the covers inserted in the FLAC files should appear, but generic photos of the musical style appear directly. Hope someone can help me.

I've got the following setup with my FLAC files, hopefully it helps:
  • I haven't embedded the album art into the FLAC files
  • In each folder, I've got the album art in the file: folder.jpg
  • Image resolution in folder.jpg is 800x800.
As far as I know, it's using my album art rather than Gracenote. Might have to check that using a dummy image.

Reactions: Roaudi and AdamInKent
As far as I know, it's using my album art rather than Gracenote. Might have to check that using a dummy image.
Thanks! I will check this soon and report lately

Tried, but doesn't work...
I have placed the folder.jpg file in the folder of different albums: An album without an embedded cover, an album with an embedded cover by the same artist, and a disc by another artist with an embedded cover. In none of the scenarios is it able to read the folder.jpg file. The measurements and size are correct. There are albums published in 2023 that Gracenote does not recognize and does not allow the folder.jpg to be read. What can we do?

I've just been out and done a test.
I used a USB drive that's not been in the car before. I put one album on it (Depeche Mode - Momento Mori, 2023).
I replaced the folder.jpg with album art from another Depeche Mode album - Live in Berlin.
The folder on the USB drive looks like this:
Folder

Putting it in the car and playing the first track gave me this:
20240215 224047as

You can see it's showing the Live In Berlin artwork (i.e. the contents of folder.jpg).

Interestingly enough, I then removed the USB then deleted the folder.jpg.
Re-inserting the USB and playing the same track resulted in the artwork still being shown, even with no folder.jpg present. So it must be doing some form of caching.

Here's my software versions for information (my car was built in Sept 2023):
20240215 224304as

20240215 224311as

The only other setting that could make a difference according to the manual is: 'Additional Online data' in the Entertainment settings.
I have it turned off:
20240215 224745as

The handbook describes it as follows (taken from a US/Canada PDF version. In my printed UK version, it refers to page 220 for the data plan):

Reactions: Roaudi
I've just been out and done a test.
I used a USB drive that's not been in the car before. I put one album on it (Depeche Mode - Momento Mori, 2023).
I replaced the folder.jpg with album art from another Depeche Mode album - Live in Berlin.
The folder on the USB drive looks like this:
View attachment 274351
Putting it in the car and playing the first track gave me this:
View attachment 274352
You can see it's showing the Live In Berlin artwork (i.e. the contents of folder.jpg).

Interestingly enough, I then removed the USB then deleted the folder.jpg.
Re-inserting the USB and playing the same track resulted in the artwork still being shown, even with no folder.jpg present. So it must be doing some form of caching.

Here's my software versions for information (my car was built in Sept 2023):
View attachment 274353
View attachment 274354

The only other setting that could make a difference according to the manual is: 'Additional Online data' in the Entertainment settings.
I have it turned off:
View attachment 274355

The handbook describes it as follows (taken from a US/Canada PDF version. In my printed UK version, it refers to page 220 for the data plan):
View attachment 274356
I have already solved! It was a cache problem, as you have rightly indicated.

You must delete a text file that the MMI generates in the root folder of the pendrive. In this way, it rebuilds every database that is generated; It has been able to read the folder.jpg file and has prioritized the jpg file over the file integrated into FLAC, and also over those generated by Gracenote.

Now I want to try inserting the covers with high resolution into the FLAC files themselves and leaving the folders without JPG files. I will inform you about the resolution I will use.

Reactions: marshalld
Glad you've fixed it.
Personally, I don't bother embedding covers into the FLAC files. Hope it works for you.

Reactions: Roaudi
Well, I have done another check:

-The covers inserted in the metadata that are larger than 800px. it does not read them, but instead if the folder.jpg file is bigger, for example, 1600px. yes, he reads it.

-On the other hand, I have verified that it is capable of reading FLAC 24bit and 96kHz, when the manual says that the maximum supported is 48kHz. I have not tested with 24bit and 192 kHz formats. Can the hardware decode 96kHz? and 192kHz?

-From what I see, covers less than 600px. they are represented correctly inserted in the metadata of the files.

Tested:

192kHz 24bit FLAC files plays correctly.