Facelift 2017 S3 8v - Coolant question

Scotty75

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Question for S3 owners……

How often do you top up with coolant ?

Reason I ask is that I seem to be topping up every 2 to 3 months. No obvious leaks, reservoir cap seems tight. No other issues at all.

Engine is stock and still under extended warranty. Any thoughts appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question for S3 owners……

How often do you top up with coolant ?

Reason I ask is that I seem to be topping up every 2 to 3 months. No obvious leaks, reservoir cap seems tight. No other issues at all.

Engine is stock and still under extended warranty. Any thoughts appreciated

most likely will be the water pump housing as it is made from plastic and over time are known to fail. guessing this is due to the heating up and cooling down every time you start and turn off the engine.

Reactions: Scotty75
Notorious cooling systems on these, difficult to bleed properly, the silica bag in the header tank and as above the waterpump/thermostat issues which sounds like what you’ve got.

Iirc water lump is one of the main culprits, I would check this 1st, the bag is one that causes issues but only if it blocks should you see any issues with levels, not loss tbh.

Yeah it was the same on my previous 8V. Top up every six weeks or so, no obvious signs of leaks, no puddles etc. Waterpump/Thermostat housing.

Thanks for the replies , very helpful I’ll be calling Audi to book the S3 in asap.

It’s does get worse. Mine started loosing a little and every month or so need a top up. Then it was like weekly.
If you can get under the car and get the under tray off the sump and all around with have a crusty white stain. Cause it’s so little the heat from exhaust and engine dries it up so there’s no puddle.
I was quoted over a grand to sort it at dealers, luckily it was covered under extended warranty.

Reactions: J0N and Scotty75
Thanks for the tip I’ll get under the car at the weekend and have a look. Definitely booking it in for repair either way.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Well Audi Portsmouth are certainly busy ! S3 booked for 11th of April.

If you want it looking at sharpish you need to call recovery which you will have with your warranty, they have to look at it within 72 hours. (My salesman told me this).

I wasn’t aware that Audi roadside was included with extended warranty ?

Being honest it’s not leaking coolant so badly to warrant going that route but I’ll certainly keep it mind should it get worse any time soon.

I've topped my coolant a couple of times over the last 3/4 months with
no visible leaks under the front end of the car should I be worried :grimacing:

I do get a puddle of water coming from the back end around the exhaust from time to time tho .
My cars in for a Mot / Inspection service at a Audi main dealer on the 2nd of march is
this something that will be checked ?

My car is still under extended warranty .

Firstly, I love how Mr Freeze has a question in a coolant thread ;). Does sound like the waterpump/thermostat housing though….

Reactions: Mr Freeze
Firstly, I love how Mr Freeze has a question in a coolant thread ;). Does sound like the waterpump/thermostat housing though….

I'll get it checked when it goes in for its service to make sure .

Reactions: J0N
I've topped my coolant a couple of times over the last 3/4 months with
no visible leaks under the front end of the car should I be worried :grimacing:

I do get a puddle of water coming from the back end around the exhaust from time to time tho .
My cars in for a Mot / Inspection service at a Audi main dealer on the 2nd of march is
this something that will be checked ?

My car is still under extended warranty .
That’s how it starts of it the thermostat housing.
Just tell them you using a litre a week with no puddles. They will have to investigate.

Reactions: Mr Freeze
So the S3 went in today. Oil service and investigate the coolant leak. No surprise…… thermostat housing is leaking.

Thankfully under warranty.

In the meantime we’re now driving a Q4 etron…….. fully loaded but it ain’t no S3

These housings are just so bad on the 8V.

You’d think they’d be more robust on a performance model. Must have cost them a fortune in warranty claims.

In answer to my own question…….
Thermostat housing and water pump are two separate parts. Audi are only replacing the thermostat housing at this point pending warranty approval.

The mind boggles why they aren’t doing the pump as well ! Kind of hoping they fit the thermostat housing and find the pump leaking…… save me some ball ache later on !

Reactions: AlS3BE