Water ingress - B9 Avant Tailgate.

Jonfun

2016 A4 Avant B9 190 Quattro S-Line
Reaction score
Water ingress - B9 Avant Tailgate.

Hi All - really hoping at least 1 person has experienced this also with their B9 Avant and can offer some insight.

Had my B9 Avant for around 5 years now, in the last 6 months it has developed an issue after heavy rain whereby the tailgate (Not boot interior) fills with water and when opening, the water pours out through any exit it can find (interior trim edges, rear light covers, boot hinges).

We had the boot completely apart this weekend and the trim and lights out to try and identify where the water may be getting in - back of the lights? car reg plate? .. I even sat in the boot and father in law hosed the car down! But we're struggling to identify anything.

As I say the water isnt getting into the actual boot interior, so water is getting past the boot seal - just into the actual metal work of the tailgate.

.. Sorry, ramble over. If anyone has had any experience with this or a similar issue, I'd really appreciate your input :)

Thanks all
Jon

Edit:

As I say the water isnt getting into the actual boot interior, so water isn't getting past the boot seal - just into the actual metal work of the tailgate.

Funnily enough we did swap out the motor this weekend as the washer was blocked,

We found no evidence that the motor had been leaking or been causing any issues.

not so say there isnt an issue with the hose somewhere further up the pipe ...

but the sheer volume of water that collects in the tailgate is shocking and always after heavy rain storm.

plot thickens.

remove tailgate trims, sit in the boot with hatch closed and have someone use the rear wiper / washer in order to test. Only other way in for water would be via the high level brake light, rear light clusters, a gap in the aperture runner seal or via the rubber wiring pipes / grommets.

Last edited:
Thanks @DJAlix .. appreciate the input, will add these suggestions to the list for the weekend.

Thanks
Jon

Motors are made by Valeo. The copper pipe that runs to the washer jet eventually breaks and applying the washer just pours screen-wash into the tailgate. Warning signs apart from a wet tailgate is erratic electrical behaviour. There will be a part number on the old motor if you're swapping out.

I accept the jet can block. You can use a needle with pliers to unblock and use a little mineral oil to lube.