C7 A6 suspension/ride questions...

wadsy

Reaction score
I tried my brother-in-laws 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro last Sunday.

I quite liked the car, it felt solid and quiet, but the ride was a bit firm for me: S-Line on 20's!

So, a few questions!...

I presume an SE would have a less firm ride?... but I don't want something that's "wallowy" it needs good damper control.

As there aren't many 3.0 TDi (or my preferred BiTDi) in SE spec about (most being S-Line or Black Ed), would a suspension swap do the job?... say Bilstein B4 dampers and Eibach Pro springs?... and, I'm thinking an S-Line or BE would be more highly specced too!

If going for an S-Line/BE, are there any issues with downsizing wheels from 19/20 to 18's?

Any help/advice greatly received.

Cheers

Yes an SE would be softer, however it is quite possibly the tyre/wheel choice on the car. As standard the SE came with 225/55 R17 and the S-Line 245/45 R18 wheels. The 20" wheels 235/35 R20 were standard on the BE. Dropping down to the 18" combination would probably make a significant difference. As long as you keep to the correct wheel tyre combination then there is no issue. Also worth checking the tyre pressures as the A6 ride is notorious for being really sensitive to the correct tyre pressure.

Also does the car have the Sport Suspension or the S Line Sport Suspension. The latter was a NCO on the S-Line and lowers the ride height an additional 10mm. If you look in the build sheet, either in the handbook or service book or in the spare wheel well. If it has the code 1BE then it is the normal sport suspension if it has 1BV then it is the optional S-Line Sport suspension

Reactions: wadsy
My BiL has checked in his book and it has the 1BE code