Does the B&O system have a DAC?

Jason1987

Reaction score
As I now use Apple Music as its better quality than Spotify and it has lossless. But I read you need a dac for lossless. Am I just wasting data using lossless with the car B&O? Or does it benefit from lossless?

With the sound system in your car, you’ll only really need 16bit 44.1khz (CD sound quality) Apple call this lossless, it’s only there high resolution service that needs an external DAC to get the best out of it. I doubt the B&O system will support much higher than 48Khz natively. That said, Apple Music at CD quality is still miles better than Spotify’s basic 320kps.

It must have a DAC, question is does is support a hi bit rate up to 320kps and above which I doubt it would.

We would need to find out from Audi what chip the dac is to find that out.

Yes this is true, the B&O unit will have a DAC otherwise it would not allow you to play any digital music. 320kps is lossy compression, it will definitely support that. As the B&O system is using CarPlay it will support up to 16bit 48Khz which is just above CD quality of 1411kbs.
This will be more than adequate for Apple Music’s ‘lossless’ format.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdamInKent
My audio quality is currently on “high quality” and the next one up is “lossless” so I should use “lossless” setting then and it will be better? Or not worth the circa 40mb per song compared to the 6mb on “High quality” then the next one up from lossless is “hi res” is that the setting that you say is pointless on the car system as it won’t work?

Yes, set it to lossless. That’s effectively CD quality and is the best setting for your system.

Unless you are 'stuck' in traffic all the time, or just listening to the B&O in the A3 while being stationary, the road/wind noise (plus fan noise) whilst the car is moving is going to make whichever audio quality format irrelavent. I never found the engine noise an issue, it is very hushed.
My experience (I have 17 inch rims with 45 profile),
Stationary or parked up: Sound is excellent
Moving less than 20mph: very good
Moving faster than 20mph: good but maybe cannot tell it's B&O over A*S sound system or stock.
Highway speeds (non smooth road): I hear mainly drone of road
Highway speeds (smooth road): very good, mainly hear wind noise besides music.
Shame cars these days don't come with CD players. I had loads of CDs I would have loved to try!

BTW, what do the C pillar speakers do. On most songs there seems to be nothing coming from them, some songs, I hear some 'faint' treble like noises from there.

I would say even with the road noise and other contributing factors there is a good difference between 320kps and 1411kbps. It all depends on how good the audio system is. I’ve never been massively impressed with any stock system, including Audi’s own, Bose, B&O etc.

I would say even with the road noise and other contributing factors there is a good difference between 320kps and 1411kbps. It all depends on how good the audio system is. I’ve never been massively impressed with any stock system, including Audi’s own, Bose, B&O etc.
Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that it comes down to personal experience. If 320kps sounds good to you, then you can happily use the smaller file sizes. If not, then use the better quality files. The same rule applies to buying hi-fi: if you can tell the difference between a more expensive component and a less expensive one, buy the more expensive one; otherwise spend your money on something else.

Reactions: Rob Avant
I also find some days the stereo isn’t as loud and I’ve got it turned up more. Maybe that’s the stream changing or my ears? Lol. I still don’t understand the “subwoofer “ and “bass” settings as subwoofer doesn’t do anything if bass is off or vice versa. Usually subwoofer settings would just be for the sub but it’s different in the Audi.
“bass” seems to make the sub louder and “subwoofer” seems to make door speakers louder. I’m confused? But then I also turned subwoofer right down and bass on max but then I had no bass at all? How does it work?

Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that it comes down to personal experience. If 320kps sounds good to you, then you can happily use the smaller file sizes. If not, then use the better quality files. The same rule applies to buying hi-fi: if you can tell the difference between a more expensive component and a less expensive one, buy the more expensive one; otherwise spend your money on something else.
100%. It’s all down to the individual, we all hear things differently. I’m a massive fuss pot when it comes to audio, I can’t stand heavily compressed music unless it’s internet radio.
My wife on the other hand thinks it all sounds the same!

Reactions: AdamInKent
I also find some days the stereo isn’t as loud and I’ve got it turned up more. Maybe that’s the stream changing or my ears? Lol. I still don’t understand the “subwoofer “ and “bass” settings as subwoofer doesn’t do anything if bass is off or vice versa. Usually subwoofer settings would just be for the sub but it’s different in the Audi.
“bass” seems to make the sub louder and “subwoofer” seems to make door speakers louder. I’m confused? But then I also turned subwoofer right down and bass on max but then I had no bass at all? How does it work?
That does sound a little odd, but I wouldn’t put it passed Audi to have the settings back to front.
Our hearing does get progressively worse the older we get which doesn’t help either. You could always do some subtle mods to the audio system, speak to your local reputable car audio centre.

That does sound a little odd, but I wouldn’t put it passed Audi to have the settings back to front.
Our hearing does get progressively worse the older we get which doesn’t help either. You could always do some subtle mods to the audio system, speak to your local reputable car audio centre.
Or maybe subwoofer just adjusts the sub level to match the bass setting? So if bass is on zero , there will be no sub at all either. Or if bass is on max it maxed the sub