P0299, P2181, P2309, P0300, P0304 fault codes help needed

Andy. A

Reaction score
Audi A4 2.0T FSI B7 Manual.

Before this happened I had no codes and the car ran perfect. I drove the car yesterday and about 1 mile into my journey I lost most power and the engine is running very very rough. I only drove it at 30MPH before this happened. I have the engine check light flashing.

I scanned for fault codes and got all of these together. P0299, P2181, P2309, P0300, P0304 fault codes

What can cause all these codes together? What should I check for first?

Thanks

P0299 is this.

16683/P0299/000665 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Control Range Not Reached​

Possible Symptoms​

• Reduced Power Output
  • Limp Mode

Possible Causes​

• Hoses/Pipes incorrect connected, disconnected or leaking
  • Charger Pressure Control defective
  • Turbocharger faulty
  • Diverter Valve faulty

Possible Solutions​

• Check Hoses/Pipes to/between Components
  • Check / Clean / Replace Charge Pressure Control
  • Check Turbocharger
  • Check Diverter Valve

Special Notes​

• If the Turbocharger is faulty due to mechanical / internal problems or the exhaust system is restricted (typically the Catalyst) this fault may be the end result.

Gasoline​

• When found in 2.0l TFSI:
    • Check Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249), for cracked rubber diaphragm. A new/optimized Valve is available, see parts catalog.
      • Audi NAR TPI 2013060
      • VW NAR vehicles see: TSB 01-07-70 or 2013392 for details.
      • RoW vehicles see: TPI 2016331 for details.
    • When stored in conjunction with misfire codes and/or fuel trim faults see the notes associated with the following faults regarding PCV failure: P2279, P1136, P1297, P1093 and/or P0507.
  • When found in 2009-2012 Audi with CAEB engine:
    • See TPI 2031245 - turbocharger excessive waste gate play.
  • When found in All 2008 to 2015 Volkswagen vehicles with the 2.0L TSI Engines (codes CCTA and CBFA)
    • See Volkswagen Tech Tip 21-10-02.
      • This Tech Tip suggests to check if the wastegate valve and lever has dropped and become stuck/seized causing either an over-boost or under-boost fault. P0299, P0234 or P0236.
      • This concern can be intermittent also clearance between the turbocharger housing and the wastegate lever should be about 3.0mm.

Diesel​

• 2009-2014 VW NAR with 2.0 CR-TDI (CBEA/CJAA), TSB 21-14-03 or TPI 2026771 has several items to inspect and verify to factory design.
  • When found in VW Golf/Jetta (1K): 2.0l CR-TDI (CBEA/CJAA).
    • Verify the mechanical part of the Exhaust Valve Control Module (J883) is not seized or binding.
  • When found in the 1.9 L TDI-PD (BLS):
    • Check vacuum supply from the vacuum reservoir located in the valve cover for leaks. Using a vacuum gauge, wiggle the valve cover and hose connections to check for a leak. The following photo was submitted from a customer working on a 2010 VW Caddy (2K chassis) with this vacuum reservoir problem.

18613/P2181/008577​

Jump to:navigation, search

Contents​

18613/P2181/008577 - Performance Malfunction in Cooling System​

Possible Symptoms​

• Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
  • Reduced Heater Output - Cold toes
  • Incorrect Temperature Gauge Readings
  • Increased Emissions

Possible Causes​

• Faulty Coolant Sensor
  • Faulty Coolant Thermostat
  • Faulty Wiring, Connections
Note: This fault code sets when engine coolant temperature mapping is lower and out of expected range based on operating conditions of the engine.
  • For example: Engine warms up, thermostat opens and stays open, coolant temperature drops below normal operating range. The ECM knows the coolant temperature should stay within 80.0...110.0 °C typically after warm up. Thus a drop in coolant temperature below normal operating temperature is not possible without a Malfunction in Cooling System.

Possible Solutions​

• Check G62 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sender
    • Inspect wiring for G62 (Coolant Migration, damage, corrosion, etc)
  • Check (if applicable) G83 - Radiator Outlet, Coolant Temperature Sender
    • Inspect wiring for G83 (Coolant Migration, damage, corrosion, etc)
  • Check Coolant Thermostat
    • Use Graph function in VCDS, Measuring Value Blocks - MVB
    • Start Engine cold, graph Coolant Temperature Sender (G62) Typically MVB Group-001
    • Hold RPM around 1,500rpm and watch coolant temp increase in Graph until thermostat opens, indicated by a slight drop in coolant temp
    • If coolant temp drops below minimum operating temperature (80°C) or never reaches operating temperature, (verified by external thermometer) suspect failed thermostat
  • Vehicles with both G62-Engine Outlet, Coolant Temperature Sensor and G83-Radiator Outlet, Coolant Temperature Sensor
    • Use Measuring Value Block group MVB-130 instead on MVB-001
    • G62 should increase in Temperature before G83 increase when engine coolant is cold
    • G83 will increase when the thermostat opens and after G62 reaches operating temperature (80°C)
    • If G62 and G83 both increase while engine warms up, suspect failed thermostat

Special Notes​

• Check the stored Freeze Frame data with this fault code. Freeze Frame information will be found in the fault code description (if the module supports it) or in Generic OBD-II if the vehicle complies with those regulations.
    • Freeze Frame data stored at -40*C is generally an indication of a faulty ECT or wiring.
    • Freeze Frame data stored at +140*C is generally an indication of a faulty ECT or wiring.
    • Freeze Frame data stored with in the 68*C ~ 80*C range is an indication that the vehicle was close to, but not within, the cooling systems normal operation range. The Thermostat itself or Cooling system components may be at fault.

16684/P0300/000768​

Jump to:navigation, search

Contents​

16684/P0300/000768 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected​

Possible Causes​

• Air Intake System leaking
  • Fuel Supply faulty
  • Injector(s) faulty
  • Ignition Cable(s) and/or Spark Plug(s) faulty
  • Ignition Coil(s) faulty
  • Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18) stuck/open
  • Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty

Possible Solutions​

• Check Misfire Recognition
  • Check Air Intake System
  • Check Fuel Supply
  • Check Injector(s) and Injector Sealing
  • Check Ignition Cable(s) and Spark Plug(s)
  • Check Ignition Coil(s)
  • Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18)
  • Check Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)

Special Notes​

• This DTC indicates that one or multiple cylinders are misfiring, but the ECU fails to identify the cylinder.
  • When found in 2008-2013 A3, TT and 2009-2013 A4, A5, Q5 and A6 vehicles with the 2,0l TFSI (EA888) engines it maybe necessary to Reset the Misfire Adaptions.
    • As per TSB [01 13 73] | TPI [2033223] - 01 Engine warning light on after engine replacement EA888 2.0 TFSI
    • To Reset Misfire Adaptions: Clear the 01-Engine fault codes three times in a row in less than 29 seconds "to remove the programed values."
  • For the Tiguan with the 2.0T DGUE engine that has one or more of the following fault codes, please see TSB 054615 for possible ECM update and hardware update.

Just those 3 alone would point a finger in the direction of the relays in the ecu box, well docemented failure relays that cause multiple faults in modules that are in fact ok, but they control important functions hence why numerous errors are reported for mostly one failed item.

Is it difficult to start and sometimes just goes into limp mode randomly?

Nice info Chilling Out, Thank you.

I have just printed it and will go through and check it ASAP.

Check your boost pipe hasn't popped of the IC before checking electrics etc.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
It turned out it was a bad coil on cyl 4.

I got a new diagnostic tool and it showed the counts of misfiring on that cyl. The misfiring count just kept going up. I swapped the ignition coil from cyl 4 to cyl 1 and the misfire count shifted to cyl 1.

Fitted 4 new Bosch ignition coils and rechecked on the scan tool, no more misfires detected and all fault codes have disappeared/gone.

I put the 3 old working ones in the boot with a small tool kit for next time.

For any one reading this that are short for cash you can just change the bad one for a new one although the others are just as old so it's good practice to change them all. Once confirmed that a coil pack is causing the fault.

Thanks for your time and help.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and NHN
The benefits of a decent scan tool pay dividends in a more precise starting point of failure.
That's why we always suggest doing a decent scan to start with, glad its all sorted. :thumbs up:

It turned out it was a bad coil on cyl 4.

I got a new diagnostic tool and it showed the counts of misfiring on that cyl. The misfiring count just kept going up. I swapped the ignition coil from cyl 4 to cyl 1 and the misfire count shifted to cyl 1.

Fitted 4 new Bosch ignition coils and rechecked on the scan tool, no more misfires detected and all fault codes have disappeared/gone.

I put the 3 old working ones in the boot with a small tool kit for next time.

For any one reading this that are short for cash you can just change the bad one for a new one although the others are just as old so it's good practice to change them all. Once confirmed that a coil pack is causing the fault.

Thanks for your time and help.

Hi Andy,

May I ask what diagnostic tool you got?

Hi . Matt.

I got the OTOFIX D1 PRO Car Diagnostic Scanner Really good price on Amazon at the moment.

Every one in the family has different makes of cars so it was worth the expense.

Andy