8Y vs. Golf 8, build quality

JKP

Reaction score
As it looks like Volkswagen renewed the Golf user interface, I'm starting to get interested about the new GTE. One thing I need to know is how it's built and how it compares to my current Audi. I've not been totally satisfied with Audi, it's got too much resonances and rattles that I hate. The dealer's done good job fixing them, but it seems like something new always keeps coming up after one gets fixed. I'd like to hear if you have some experiences with the Golf and how's it like compared to the A3. I had a Golf 7.5 before the 8Y and after 2 years if felt like the entire interior got loose somehow. Lots of sqeaks when driving over bumps. When I test drove the 8Y it was like I was driving a solid rock compared to my Golf. Well, the first 8Y I had was like that after one resonance got solved, but in every other way it was a disaster. Sad to say the new one didnt' have any of those problems but I'm getting frustrated with the clicks and rattles. So if I want to get rid of those, is the Volkswagen build quality got better or is it the same same again if I go ahead and change back to VW?

Reactions: George Jetson
As it looks like Volkswagen renewed the Golf user interface, I'm starting to get interested about the new GTE. One thing I need to know is how it's built and how it compares to my current Audi. I've not been totally satisfied with Audi, it's got too much resonances and rattles that I hate. The dealer's done good job fixing them, but it seems like something new always keeps coming up after one gets fixed. I'd like to hear if you have some experiences with the Golf and how's it like compared to the A3. I had a Golf 7.5 before the 8Y and after 2 years if felt like the entire interior got loose somehow. Lots of sqeaks when driving over bumps. When I test drove the 8Y it was like I was driving a solid rock compared to my Golf. Well, the first 8Y I had was like that after one resonance got solved, but in every other way it was a disaster. Sad to say the new one didnt' have any of those problems but I'm getting frustrated with the clicks and rattles. So if I want to get rid of those, is the Volkswagen build quality got better or is it the same same again if I go ahead and change back to VW?

8Y is rubbish. Don’t blame you looking at something else.

Sent from under the bridge…..

Owned a golf 8 gtd nothing but software and electrical problems 3 new steering wheels. But I'm sure the 8.5 will be sorted.
The golf 8 gtd I felt was very heavy handling wise and would skip so to speak if suspension hit a bump mid corner quite didn't give much confidence handling wise. Compared to my.8y which is rock solid much better. Apart from that I find them very similar.

8Y is rubbish. Don’t blame you looking at something else.

Sent from under the bridge…..
Wouldn't call it rubbish, I think the chassis, steering and powertrain are brilliant. Still some software issues yes, but I've sat in new BMWs which also gave some random error messages, so it doesn't look like all the others are necessarily flawless either. But the vague assembly quality is what's bugging me. So if the Golf isn't better in that department, then it's not a solution either.

Reactions: Tzsteve
As it looks like Volkswagen renewed the Golf user interface, I'm starting to get interested about the new GTE. One thing I need to know is how it's built and how it compares to my current Audi.
I don’t think there is that much between Audi and VW these days on built quality. Materials maybe (Audi better imo), but you are talking rattles and squeaks etc. I think you were very unlucky with your 7.5 Golf. I have a 7.5 GTi that is still rock solid after 7 years.

No-one knows about the Golf 8.5 yet, other than to say that VW have seem to have sorted most (but not all) of the problems with that awful infotainment system. And they have replaced those annoying capacitive switches on the steering wheel. The GTE is no GTi, but it has lots of power if you are coming from a regular A3.

Reactions: JKP
Question is...can you deal with the climate control being entirely via the touchscreen (likewise the steering wheel buttons being touch only)? Been very happy with the A3, where I have buttons and can feel without taking eyes off the road to increase temp / fan speed, or turn on AC etc. A3 is now 3 years old... yet thought I heard a rattle/clunk sounded like rear suspension, turns out it was the rear armrest down with bottle in it making that sound. Stowed, and sound was gone. Then again, (touch wood) otherwise the current A3 has no squeeks or rattles (yet), but then neither did my previous 2 cars, Volvo V40 and Seat Ibiza, however my first ever car (Seat Leon 63 plate), oh that was rattle central, door trim, A pillar, instrument dial area etc, all had vary degrees of sqeaks, trim vibrating, or similar. Still thought the preivous A3 with the round vents was much better interior wise....

I was always going to choose a Golf or an A3 in 2021 when i ordered, I chose the A3 over the Golf 8 down to physical buttons and that i thought the interior layout looked better than the Golf (my opinion)
I hated the options method used by Audi, i wrongly thought a few things were standard but turned out they weren't, so i missed out on a few bits i wanted. Apparently the details were always there but i didn't realise.
The only rattle/noises i have is the drivers door card caused by the bass from the speaker and an odd noise from the rear springs but not sure if its something in my boot as its not happened since.
I have 1 year left so am trying to decide what to do for my next car, fancy a BMW but really like my A3 so might keep this one. I have a year to decide so reading everything with a bit of interest.

Thanks for the answers guys.

I test drove one of the first Golf 8s when it came out. The touch screen controls and also back then very laggy software put me off instantly and I considered Golf dead to me. Later I had one as a substitute car, the software had been enhanced but it was still ridiculously bad to use. The new system seems to be on totally different level so I'll give it another try. If it's still not good enough I'll stick with the A3 and maybe wait how's the new BMW 1 going to turn out. The current one is not an option because there's no powertrain for me. The 3-banger is a tractor motor and the next option up is the performance model with a double price.

I've indeed had some bad luck with new cars. I traded an old 8P A3 to the Golf 7,5 because it started to have something to fix all the time and I thought let's have a car with warranty for a change, so at least few years with no workshop bills. Golf was a potentially good car but I should have bought the higher bhp version of the engine and Highline trim. I've thought few times I might still be driving that car if I had chosen better. I got fed up with the 1st gen "mild hybrid" with the traditional starter motor and the squeeks. The 8Y seemed to fix those both, it was even better to drive overally, looked amazing and it still had the physical controls, so it looked like a no brainer. The first one got all the teething troubles and this second one those rattles... I like the car but not so much I wouldn't be looking for a replacement already. The GTE is interesting because of the electric drive, could be useful for me. Never considered the 8Y PHEV because it felt so much heavier and unsharper than the petrol-only variant I had already got used to.

Seems like if I want a car with no rattles I'd better have a better luck next time.

Question is...can you deal with the climate control being entirely via the touchscreen (likewise the steering wheel buttons being touch only)? Been very happy with the A3, where I have buttons and can feel without taking eyes off the road to increase temp / fan speed, or turn on AC etc. A3 is now 3 years old... yet thought I heard a rattle/clunk sounded like rear suspension, turns out it was the rear armrest down with bottle in it making that sound. Stowed, and sound was gone. Then again, (touch wood) otherwise the current A3 has no squeeks or rattles (yet), but then neither did my previous 2 cars, Volvo V40 and Seat Ibiza, however my first ever car (Seat Leon 63 plate), oh that was rattle central, door trim, A pillar, instrument dial area etc, all had vary degrees of sqeaks, trim vibrating, or similar. Still thought the preivous A3 with the round vents was much better interior wise....
Thought I read the new golf 8.5 is going back to buttons on the steering wheel - I have a Cupra with the touchscreen (buttons on the steering wheel) and to be honest the sliders (mine don't light up the new ones do I believe) are easy to find without taking your eyes off the road just feel for the slope and tap it but I just use voice control if I need to change the temperature etc - There is a bit at the top that takes you straight into climate as well so you don't have to go through lots of menus

I was apprehensive at first, but you find you rarely use it once it's setup

Once the A3 changes after this facelift it will probably go the same way - You know how Audi are lately with penny pinching (they don't light up the climate control buttons either) so getting rid of buttons will save them loads

Reactions: 8YARWY
There is a bit at the top that takes you straight into climate as well so you don't have to go through lots of menus

I was apprehensive at first, but you find you rarely use it once it's setup
I had a serious windscreen misting problem with the substitute car. You had to go through 3 menu pages until you could select the demisting function, which went off automatically after few minutes. That's not tolerable. In A3 there's a button for that and it stays on as long as you need it. Was that way in Golf 7 too.

I think the climate control in Golf 7 worked better than the one in A3 8Y. In Golf I set the temp to 21 ºC and almost never needed to adjust after that, nor the vents. In A3 you have to adjust both to keep temperature nice and even, if the outside temp changes much.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8YARWY
I had a serious windscreen misting problem with the substitute car. You had to go through 3 menu pages until you could select the demisting function, which went off automatically after few minutes. That's not tolerable. In A3 there's a button for that and it stays on as long as you need it. Was that way in Golf 7 too.

I think the climate control in Golf 7 worked better than the one in A3 8Y. In Golf I set the temp to 21 ºC and almost never needed to adjust after that, nor the vents. In A3 you have to adjust both to keep temperature nice and even, if the outside temp changes much.
My 8Y RS3 always fogged up quickly on a rainy day if I left it for 10mins then got back into it to go somewhere.
The warm up cycle on a cold day was laughable, you’d be waiting ages for a frosted screen to clear, never had that on the previous 8V.

No such issues in a Cupra Born I just bought the wife……

The Cupra has the Demist and Heated Rear Screen on the light switch cluster so you don't have to go into the screen for that - Does the Golf not have that option

Checked the press photos and they are there. I didn't notice them there during that short period I had the car, so my bad, but a bit odd place for them since there's a shortcut spot for climate control menu unter the central screen.

The 8Y 35 TFSI isn't having the fog problem, just some I think is normal and the demist is effective. I've heard in 30 TFSI it's bad in some kind of winter weather.

Checked the press photos and they are there. I didn't notice them there during that short period I had the car, so my bad, but a bit odd place for them since there's a shortcut spot for climate control menu unter the central screen.

The 8Y 35 TFSI isn't having the fog problem, just some I think is normal and the demist is effective. I've heard in 30 TFSI it's bad in some kind of winter weather.
I think it's because you'll need them quickly they moved them to there - There's definitely room for some physical buttons that's for sure and my S3 8Y 2020 were hardly taking up any space - I agree that the 8Y isn't as good as the 8V at clearing though and now that the patent has finished with Ford's get the Heated Front Screens in for goodness sake

Having carried out a number of retrofits on 8Y's and Golf 8's there is a significant difference in build quality and materials between the 2. The 8Y is much better in comparison to the Golf 8 on many areas, quality of the plastics, quality of the clips and fixings, and the way the trim panels are designed to fit together.

Reactions: Dan_G
Thanks a lot! That was exactly the kind of an answer I was after. Sounds like I might not gonna try my luck again with the Golf.