S4 opinions plz

Buxton2901

Reaction score
Hi guys, seriously considering selling my A6 after the alternator issue and due to mileage getting close to 100k and very much want something petrol, less complex and fast obviously. Is the B9 S4 avant a good all round car. I would appreciate some owners opinions please and what you like and dislike and also are there any know big issues? I'm aware of the Rocker arm failing which I believe is a large bill

Thanks
Paul

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

If you watch VAG Technic on YouTube - you'd never buy another performance car again. I do think a lot of this is attributed to Audi cutting corners with newer models. Its not that long ago that the whole dieselgate saga unravelled, so VW Group are actively recovering costs for shareholders. Also the newer diesels are chasing rainbow unicorns on what is likely to be phased out technology. Even B9 platform Audi A4s are cutting corners, no open door warning lights, no aluminium front or rear valance (switch to plastic trim), no headlight washers on LED, unless its LED Matrix, and that's just the stuff I know about.

I've never driven an S4 Avant, but given you've come from a A6 TDI with 286hp, then you are used to low-end torque, and performance on tap. Given you have been potentially burnt with your A6, than my take on things is either after something in warranty or a car that you can continue to cover with an approved Audi warranty? This has been covered recently.

The S4 isn't gong to be as fuel efficient, but no one buys an S4 for efficiency.

Reactions: Buxton2901 and Jonfun
If you watch VAG Technic on YouTube - you'd never buy another performance car again. I do think a lot of this is attributed to Audi cutting corners with newer models. Its not that long ago that the whole dieselgate saga unravelled, so VW Group are actively recovering costs for shareholders. Also the newer diesels are chasing rainbow unicorns on what is likely to be phased out technology. Even B9 platform Audi A4s are cutting corners, no open door warning lights, no aluminium front or rear valance (switch to plastic trim), no headlight washers on LED, unless its LED Matrix, and that's just the stuff I know about.

I've never driven an S4 Avant, but given you've come from a A6 TDI with 286hp, then you are used to low-end torque, and performance on tap. Given you have been potentially burnt with your A6, than my take on things is either after something in warranty or a car that you can continue to cover with an approved Audi warranty? This has been covered recently.

The S4 isn't gong to be as fuel efficient, but no one buys an S4 for efficiency.
Haha I do watch vag technic and I agree it scares the hell out of me.
I wouldn't be buying an S4 for mpg and as long as high 20s are achievable then it's not an issue.
I just want something with less added systems that can potentially go wrong like dpfs and adblue and mild stupid hybrid systems.
Am I correct in saying all the b9 Petrol S4s between 2016 and 2018 don't have opfs?

Doesn't seem to be many for sale, I presume that's due to them not being available for long before they switched to the diesel

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk