17inch Alloy over the larger front calipers?

VeeReihenmotor6

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking ahead for winter wheels - just wondering if anyone knows minimum size wheel fitment for cars with the larger calipers on the front, is 17inch possible?

Thanks,

Don’t have an answer but following this thread as interested in doing the same. What’s on the car just now, 18” alloys? Have you you searched for winter tyres based on existing set up?

Mine has the 18in "sport" style alloys. I'd like to go down a size for a winter setup to give more tyre sidewall protection/pothole damage control!

Reactions: spartacus 68
Just got round to changing my winter wheels for the summers. The tyre placard on the drivers door should list the compatible wheel sizes for your car.
Mine are the 245 40 18" official Audi winter wheels but when I bought them another option from Audi was the 17" Gravis design with 225 width tyres which would have been ok on my car. My car is the 252bhp 2.0TFSI quattro and came with the 245 35 19" RS alloys, I'd have thought it would have had fairly decent sized calipers.

These are the winter wheels for mine:
Audi winter wheels

Reactions: VeeReihenmotor6
Hi,

Looking ahead for winter wheels - just wondering if anyone knows minimum size wheel fitment for cars with the larger calipers on the front, is 17inch possible?

Thanks,
Why don't you just measure your current caliper to inner-rim clearance as that at least will give you an indication. More than 13mm then you've a chance, less than 13mm no chance.

PS: we run 19inch summer/winters on our TT, 19inch summer/winters on our RS3, and 21inch summer/winters on our SQ5. Simples...

Last edited:
There is definitely more than 13mm but I'm more concerned with, I guess it is called, the offset. Looking for something factory/no spacers.
824b743f99b46357255adcdadbf4d659.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990B2 using Tapatalk

I have 272 v6 TDi (4 pot brakes in front and 338mm discs) with stock winter rims 17" with 225/50 stock winter Pirelli Sottozero 3AOs tires.
80c853934af11295d095e36cdf222cea.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: spartacus68 and VeeReihenmotor6
Thanks @Sibmets, that is exactly the sort of wheel I am looking for and sounds like we have the same setup. It seems the quattro and higher powered ones have thr bigger brakes on the front.

I had looked at the usual 17in wheels found on the normal 2wd sport model but the front calipers are a lot smaller.

This is from Audi Allroad brochure (2017) and lists 17-19" wheel packages for engines including 2.0 TFSI and TDI plus 3.0 litre variants.

Attachments

• Wheels.jpg
    Wheels.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: VeeReihenmotor6