Lost It

rxs1407

Reaction score
So i posted on here sometime ago about how much engine oil my new 2.0 tdi might use, well on a trip back from Warwick today my dash came to lif saying low oil.

So i got the bottle of oil out the boot and the oil was on the low mark on the dipstick, so i put some in.
then i knocked the oil bottle cap and down it went..

I could see it but couldn't get me hands down there, it was sitting on the tray at the bottom of the engine.

So what does this tray do? apart from catching stuff you then can't get to.

To me it's pointless, but is it needed?

Dodge

Its to improve the areodynamics of the car and also acts as a noise insulator, oh and stops your driveway getting covered in oil !

Or if you drive a Mk IV Golf it's used to judge how fast you can't go over speed bumps, before any of you try it though I'd like to add that anything over 2mph WILL dislodge this very annoying (& expensive) piece of compressed cardboard. Having replaced it and the various fittings a few times I suspect the A3 version will be similar although mounted higher, it shouldn't be too difficult to work out where the fixings are and drop it a little to fish the cap out, there are belts and pulleys in this area so it's probably better to remove the cap before it gets caught in something.