how much lower is sport than normal?

ian52

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow
Reaction score
hi,how much lower is sport suspension on a 2000 a4 quattro sport?i need a new front spring but may just buy a full set of aftermarket springs.

About 20mm from An SE. I would be tempted to go aftermarket for the cost, its prob the same for a pair of OE springs as it is for a full set of aftermarket jobbies

About 20mm from An SE. I would be tempted to go aftermarket for the cost, its prob the same for a pair of OE springs as it is for a full set of aftermarket jobbies
Byzan, i'm looking at lowering mine by 40-50mm but i'm on a budget, can i get a spring/damper kit for less beer tokens than coilovers?

In short yes you can, however the Vmaxx coilovers are around £200 ish. I am running them on my car, without any problems at all

How low have you gone and what size wheels? I'm going for 17's. A few people on here say any lower than 35mm and the handling is crap

i have to say i'd rather i was running a set of koni/billies and eibach springs than a £200 set of coilovers

and yes if you lower it much more than about 30-40mm the handling will get worse, it may feel like "its on rails" but the actual limit of grip will be reduced as the suspension geometry will be away to ****.

I find that most people with modified cars that are lowered seem to think they handle really well. "on rails" is a common description. I find however that this generally just means the car has no body roll. My brother had a nova on coilovers which felt similar as it was very hard, but if you threw it round a roundabout that was slightly uneven it would start to understeer badly as the car was actually bouncing off the ground over the bumps. My astra 1.4 on standard suspension with decent tyres (uniroyal rainsports) could go round faster, albeit it felt ****, and was leaning over on the door handles, but it still went round quicker.

I would bet that a stock S4/A4Sport suspension setup would handle better than something that was on its ring and really stiff, simply because the geometry would be correct and the springs and dampers would actually be working to keep the car on the road.

Trust me i tried eibachs and shock combo and it struggled to lower my car by 20mm, not sure why??

It is deffo better on the coilovers and she is not sat on her **** IMO,and it does handle well, but hey, it depends what the OP wants out of a set of springs i suppose !!
I agree with what you say to a point i would like to see a set of sport suspension handle as well as mine on its CO. Too low is bad for handling on a road car, some travel is required for us to clear potholes etc, but lower centre of gravity does have its place.

For decent handling i would have it around 35/40mm lower and a set of anti roll bars for the unltimate road car handling IMO

Ok thanks for your opinions fellas. Originally i wanted it slammed but now i think i'll go for a 40mm drop on coilovers as handling is important to me.. looks are not everything i suppose. Thanks again, much appreciated.:thumbsup:

Glad you've come rount to my way of thinking, Floyd, with regards to suspension height.

byzan, im curious as to which eibachs you had? I was looking at these for mine and notice they have two versions, Pro and Sport iirc, i presume ones not going to lower it my much and the other will lower it more.

tbh 20mm over the normal sport ride height would suit me perfectly, i had a pile of tools and crap in the boot last week and it had dropped the rear by around that and it looked pretty spot on. I've driven slammed cars and having the A4 on its standard ride height i find is just so much less hassle, no scraping over speed bumps and pot holes or dips in the road, and while firm the car actually absorbs bumps instead of jarring me constantly

I'd like 20mm lower but i wouldnt want to compromise the ride by much at all. I had koni sport adjustables on my last astra and some cheapey springs and felt the konis set on full soft made the car drive pretty nicely given the crappy springs. I was hoping the combination of eibachs and konis or perhaps bilsteins would give me what i want.

My car's running RS4 Bilstein Sport dampers (yellow) and Eibach Pro springs.

Ride comfort is pretty similar to stock, but turn-in is a lot sharper,and generally, the handling's great.

My car is a '96 A4 2.6 QS, so wasn't exactly high to begin with.

Guys,
My sport was lowered 20mm over a standard a4 after measuring.

I replaced the dampers for bilsteins and replaced the springs for a -40mm kit from GSF. It lowered the car roughly 20mm but it sits lovely now and still handles well ( i often carry alot of kit so any lower and it wouldn;t be fun)

Ian52 I still have my old sport springs lying around if you need a replacement front.

Pm me.