How much to lower ?

Cruz

Reaction score
I want to lower my 99 2.5 tdi avant, Gonna be using the eibach pro spring kit but want to know how much it is likely to cost me for the labour to get this job done??????????

P.S
Sorry to post yet another thread on lowering

Last edited:
why dont you do it yourself and save a few quid mate, springs aint hard to change

I would give it a go but her indoors barely gives me the time to wash and polish it yet alone fit a lowering kit. lol

Plus the fact she doesn't know im gonna lower it so when it goes off for it's service soon and comes back slightly lower and stiffer it's too late for her to say
"We can't afford that"

Plus the fact she doesn't know im gonna lower it so when it goes off for it's service soon and comes back slightly lower and stiffer it's too late for her to say
"We can't afford that"

That's exactly what I did :rock:. Went to "get the car checked over":racer:

lol good skills that man, took me about 3 hours to do but i changed the front susp arms as well so i'd say a garage would be looking at 1 1/2 hours prob?? or im just to quick one of the two

you should be able to lower just as low as you want,
I did the same here hehe.. put on some 35mm h&r's, thinking it will be noticed rather quick, but nono...

even when I started teasing like "oh look how low it looks" they were like
"huh?, low?" :p

...i'd probably get, 'I'm sure you'd still fit under it nicely'...... :ohmy:

I'm considering swapping out my rear tow pack/heavy duty/mits. shogun rear coil for standard sport ones, you reckon about 1 1/2 fatal?, is that per side or both total barring; siezed bolts, wrong tools and just general bad luck? I've heard the rear are easiest? No broken fingers in the spring compressors then?

I found that the rears were a piece of p!ss. Just 2 13mm bolts on top, and a 16mm nut and bolt on the bottom.

The fronts were the pain. Well, getting the strut out... undid the Anti roll bar link and teased it out. Other than that though, not bad to do all round. We managed to get the rears done in an hour and fronts took about hour and half - 2hours.

The rears were just ten mins on mine (think I was very lucky and it helps if you have ramps and air tooks!) but when I took the fronts out, I replaced all the arms at the same time, so took considerably longer!

When fitting the fronts do you have to undo the 3 bolts that are in the engine bay at the top?
I've got LPG fitted to mine and they have put the pumps over the bolts so i can't get to them with out taking it all apart.
Sorry to hi=jack but i hope to get a set of springs in the next week or two.

yes, those bolts hold the top mounting plate to the chassis, and you cant undo the top mounts on the damper without taking that plate off the car.

Oh thats going to make things hard to do. and so the fun begins :think:

I would give it a go but her indoors barely gives me the time to wash and polish it yet alone fit a lowering kit. lol

"We can't afford that"
Well i've had the car back from being serviced and lowered for just over a week now and it looks like i've got away with it.
I had one comment "It looks lower on the front" to which i shrugged off with the reply "must be the new link bars i had to have fitted".....

Now lets see if i can get away with convincing her it's always had 18"s on it..................I somehow doubt it

Olly S4, When I did my fronts, all I took out was the one lower arm strut bolt and the 2 bolts that are hidden under painted in rubber grommets, in the same rough location as the three obvious ones you can see, they're a bit hidden but when you look you'll find em eventually, pop the grommets off covering them and then undo the 2 bolts and your strut will drop straight complete with the topmount, but no messing about taking half the suspension arms and top plate out, sooooooo much easier trust me!

Yeah , its why i do the 3 bolts and drop the plate and the arms, cos i havn't had a car yet that didn't need at least one top arm anyway.

MRC fitted and set mine up, about 3 hours labour though that did include brake upgrades too