Camshaft Position Sensor (Hall Sender) - No Comms - Anyone had this before?

FactionOne

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
OK, Not likely any of you have had it on the same engine as the one I'm looking at is a 1600 AKL; just wondering though if any of you have ever had this fault before on an 8L of any description? I'm curious about the possibility of there being a simple/known problem/resolution that I can investigate before I have to get all oily and have a crawl around under the bonnet?....

Regards,

Rob.

Well its actually positioned very easily to access & doesnt require any dirty hands IMHO, on my S3 of course it was on the left hand side towards the front top under the cambelt cover if I remember rightly, its easy to change & not expensive, now this is from my S3 experience but I doubt its in a different position, I would change it TBH, I actually got parts to get me one & I tested it & found wasnt faulty & gave back, so if your friendly with the local stealers parts guy they might do that for you as it might be a shelf part, with no comms its more than likely gone or may need a clean up on the contacts, to take apart & clean isnt a hard job anyway.

If you check this image below, you can see the oil cap, if you go directly to the left towards the cam cover, its literally under the cam cover on that top corner, covers a pain in **** to take of as has a foil covered pipe at bottom, so be careful not to damage the pipes at bottom, the hall sender just unbolts easily, need to remove the long tube from intercooler on left on top of engine to get to properly but thats a doddle aswell, oh thats if you have intercooler that is.

IMG_0517.jpg

Thanks mate - It's always nice to find well documented (and even illustrated) responses :)

Of course the layout's gonna differ a bit between your S3 and my mrs' A3; but lets hope not too much. Without looking at ETKA/ELSA I was expecting it to be burried deep in the bowels somewhere. The A3 likes to throw curves at me like that!

I'll have a nosey around tonight and see what I can find...

Thanks again, and regards,

Rob.

Hiya mate!

Yeah not so bad thanks bud - settling in pretty well.

The pace of life is a bit slower down here, but that's often a good thing. New job keeps me busy when I want to be and not when I don't, so musn't grumble. MB is keeping me on my toes but nothing new there! ;)

How's everyone your way mate?

Regards,

Rob.