cam belt

jays3

Reaction score
i am lookin 2 buy a 2001 s3 which has done 72k miles, only thing is it has not yet had the cam belt and water pump, should it have been done by now or is it fine until 80k, i would be just my luck for it to go on the way home.

i bought mine at 71k 2001 s3 june last year,i got the cam belt done staright away for peace of mind.you should do the same mate.

Why dont you see if they can have it done as a part of the purchase if its at a garage??

Or if its private, agree to only buy it if they get the cambelt done??

Either way if they cant do it for you and you do buy it, get it done straightaway, i got mine at 56k and i got it done next day, for the cost of it, its not worth risking it as the damage caused will end up costing you ALOT more.

I was told 80k by my Audi dealer, also says this in the manual

I'd get it done straight away too ! haggle the price down on the car to compensate what it's going to cost to get the belt/pump done....

its an expensive job I think, you could drive the car 2 minutes down the road and it could snap, it happened to the guy who bought my BM, he was coming up to view my car in his Vectra and the chain snapped and ****** his engine. Worst thing was he had sold the Vectra and was waiting for the guy to collect it. Lucky the buyer was delayed or that would have been 1500 quid down the toilet.

Get the vendor to do it or knock 600 quid off.
I'd always do a cambelt at 60k, never anymore.

Yea it does say 80k, but when i went to get mine done at Midland VW, they had a letter on the wall stating that it should in fact be less than that and im sure that letter was from VW/Audi (one of the big companies)

At the end of the day its upto you, you can get it done at 80k (if it lasts that long), but as mentioned in my previous post the cost of doing this compared to repairing a snapped belt is alot less...

Also you have to remember that the manuals were made a while ago and since then alot of research has continually been made, not to mention people complaining as theirs had snapped, so as a precautionary they may have issued a statement saying to do them alot sooner, just to cover their backs.