Grille decision

Lee_R

Reaction score
So I own a pre facelift 2004 S line, I've got a standard Sportback front bumper and votex front splitter which will look good ( like that combo better than the S line bumper, it looks deeper)

Now I just need a grille. From what i can find out I have 5 to choose from

1. Standard big grille
2. S-Line big grille
3. S-line Black optic big grille
4. S3 grille
5. S3 Black optic grille.

The man at Audi says the S3 ones wont fit. Is this true? If thats the case then are the S-line grilles a direct replacement because he says they 06 onwards only and my bumper is off an early 05 sportback?

I'm confused typing this!

And yes I do know i also need a bonnet! :)

Lee

I did the S3 conversion front/sides but mate MattAndrew is guy to ask on the Sline front to be sure, I havnt reinstalled Etka/Elsawin as yet so cant check, I'll msn the thread link to him for a reply.

Cheers, I PM's him about the rest of the conversion, just need to know which grille would be best!

If its money then I'd get the black sline, but if you want best look then S3 optic grill as I have this, but whats colour of car cause sometimes the silver grill looks good & the s3 silver grill is cheaper.

Its Akoya SIlver, they both look good I reckon! but I dont think the S3 grilles fit

I think they do just a small gap round it thats all, Matt knows this answer

Your best option is one of the Sline grills as it will look better, the S3 one will fit BUT you end up with a gap at the bottom and the fixings are different. The S3 is screwed where as the Sline is cliped but you should be able to get around this

The screw/clips etc at the top (the ones you can see) all line up.
It’s the ones along the sides and bottom from the inside that don’t.
From memory I did fid a couple of places to use self tappers though and that’s all that holds my grill on for now.
Had intended to use long numberplate screws to hold it on as well but been lazy of late due to construction of new home.
Taking pics so close make it stand out more than it does in reality
Ive got some pics sumwhere of an sline with a S3 grill ill dig them out
Edit here they are

grille1.jpg

grille2.jpg

grille3.jpg

Ps how was the bumper match or have you not tried yet

So I own a pre facelift 2004 S line, I've got a standard Sportback front bumper and votex front splitter which will look good ( like that combo better than the S line bumper, it looks deeper)

I was thinking the same, have a 2005 single grill car, not sure if to go for the Votex spoiler, or change the complete front for the an s-line apron,

The votex does look lower but maybe not as OEM.

Thanks for the pics guys, I think I will stick to the S line grille.

This is the look I want, Votex Lip + S line grille

abf9_1_b.jpg

I have found a chrome S line grille on Ebay for £20 so will try and win that, if not I will probably order the black optics one from Stafford Audi, should get 10% off there, they normally play ball if I'm cheeky!

Lee