Have I Made A Mistake???

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
At the beginning of the month i put a deposit down on and audi s3 and im due to pick it up on the 24th of january(insurance reasons) and to be honest i couldnt stop smiling but the more posts i read on here the more im starting to slowly regret it, there seems tobe not alot good said about it. I personaly loved the car but aspose only time will tell what its actualy like when i get it. Anyway thats me just speaking out loud.

All comments etc welcome

Cheers Dani

Why are you starting to regret it? The S3s are brilliant cars! Is it a new one, or the older one?:s3addict:

From the 5+ years i've been on here, I tend to find it's rare that people post about how good their cars are, it's generally "help i've got a problem with x"

Even the latest S3 will be over 5 years old now so parts will need replacing as a matter of course but at the end of the day If your happy with the car (and it sounds like you are) does it really matter?

Forums are for people to ask for help with their cars generally as previously said, dont worry about it just enjoy it :)

Why are you starting to regret it? The S3s are brilliant cars! Is it a new one, or the older one?:s3addict:

just from the problems people seem to have with them and it looks like the handling quite poorly set up. its on a 99 plate

yeah im over the moon with it and ill be loving it even more when i pick it up

i had doubts when i got my a3 quattro. but with a few little mods, it became a great car to drive.
its a 10yr old car almost, so parts will wear and tear, same as any other car. if you drove it, and liked it, thats all that matters. your the one who has to live with it.
go for it :yes:

Every single time I get into mine (also 99 S3) I get a rush....not once in 3 years have I regretting choosing it, and as for the handling...I havent managed to unstick it except when really pushing it!!

You'll Love it even more when you get it!!!:racer:

At the beginning of the month i put a deposit down on and audi s3 and im due to pick it up on the 24th of january(insurance reasons) and to be honest i couldnt stop smiling but the more posts i read on here the more im starting to slowly regret it, there seems tobe not alot good said about it. I personaly loved the car but aspose only time will tell what its actualy like when i get it. Anyway thats me just speaking out loud.

All comments etc welcome

Cheers Dani

Don't worry dude! Thought the same thing after i bought mine a year ago and had a load of difficulties to begin with -mainly because of a poor dealer/cambelt change. However it's been all smiles since then, I've covered 14K and the car doesn't miss a beat -even after the remap which is a must!

Trust me:
  • whenever you get out of it you'll turn to look back
  • look forward to getting in it everyday
  • enjoy heads turning as you cruise along
  • love the fact that they're pretty rare and have an air of exclusivity about them.
  • know that it can hold it's own with any company
Good times are ahead!!! :icon_thumright:

you have not made a mistake...trust me you will be warm and fuzzy when you go out in it.

Thanks guys, its kind of nice to be reasured, i thinks its due to the amount of time its taking to actualy get the car

Dani theres going to be problems with every car..... personally i agree with every comment above...... the S3 is a very nice car, if i had the cash id be having the new shape one as my next car - thats my thoughts on Audi's, cant fault them as an excellant day to day'er - just wish id bought an S3 sooner instead of wasting time purchasing a house:)

i agree with them being nice cars, my parents have a 06 a3 2.0t sline and its stunning part from it being 2wd

they will love you having a faster car then haha.....my old fella has a 4.8 grand cherokee and is gutted that he has a slower car than me:)

Trust me:
  • love the fact that they're pretty rare and have an air of exclusivity about them.

Totally agree with you there, I thought it was just me!!!!!!!

In my experience out of my Corsa (ok not a great comparison LOL) MGF and Mk4 GTI the S3 is the best car I've ever owned in every single way. Absolutely love it you'll have no regrets providinfg it's been maintained and kept to a high standard. (Which is the case with any car you buy)

I had my 99 plate S3 for 4 years until I sold it this year, in that time it only let me down once, and even then it was just in limp mode for 2 days.
I needed a bigger car because I go fishing and the S3 was just a wee bit too small, I got a Scooby Forester 2.5 turbo which hits 60 in 6 seconds.
However, I find myself now looking in Autotrader for another S3, I'll just have to buy smaller rods.

As for the handling, I have an A3 and cant fault it. I went from a 1ltr polo though. Why am I going to upgrade? Probably put plainly... because of this very forum, if it handles better then great, if not, at least the suspension wont need done any time soon after it's done.

All the other mods I have done are because of this site.

What I am trying to say is that yeah, people get problems with cars, new and old, but thats not everyone. And if the bad does happen to you, which I hope it does not.... then guess what, you could not be in a better place to get help! I have had plenty of help from this forum, all the guys are great. Seen some petty arguing of recent on it which I don't really care for but apart from that, this is the place to be for help if you need it, or just ideas and info (some mod want to bung me a few quid for that plug :jester:), well done for getting the S3 and I am 100% sure you will LOVE it! (so may your bank manager too hehehe)

:o.k:

i've had my 99 s3 for bout a month now and i love it! Better than my focus rs i had and that was a monster, s3 is really smooth and solid! though 've had a couple of probs i still look at it and think, wow!!!! So mate dont worry your'll love every minute of owning it!!!!!

Dude, chill, whatever car you get if you go on a forum about it you will see people have problems with them, its the case with anything, dont be disheartened, look forward to it and enjoy the wait, believe me its worth it!!!

Good luck with it...where abouts are you by the way??

I came from an 03 STI before and the S3 does virtually everything that did just as well or even better(especially with revo).

Recently went out in an 07 S3 and although it was a good car it didn't seem any different to my 52 plate, not £20,000 better anyway!

You will love it DONT worry fella!

Hmmm, Handles like ****, it's as slow as ****, the centre consel digs into my left leg and it goes through petrol like nobody's business...............and I ******* LOVE IT!!!!

lol scoobs..... centre console digs? comon fella i have 35inch legs and am 6'3 and manage not to dig into the damn console:)

lol you tried putting seat back? i'm 6ft and theres plenty of room :blink:

Don't worry dude! Thought the same thing after i bought mine a year ago and had a load of difficulties to begin with -mainly because of a poor dealer/cambelt change. However it's been all smiles since then, I've covered 14K and the car doesn't miss a beat -even after the remap which is a must!

Trust me:

fully agree there. i absolutely love my 2000x reg s3. love it. the class that i think comes with it is undeniable!

i've had a mk4 golf gti, then my a3. the build diferance in build quality is huge. i wish i'd got the audi sooner!

in south yorkshire. why you ask? yeah ive noticed of late theres quite alot of people who seem to have petty arguements and chips on their shoulders for no particular reason but ha ho

The S3 is a pleasure to drive. Not quite fast enough for me but Im hoping to get Revo in a week or 2 so that should be solved.

Yeah, there's a lot of people slating the S3 on here. But I think you'll find that on any forum, because its the owners and enthusiasts that tend to discover the limitations of their cars.

I've had my car for over 5 years now, and still love how it drives....

Just enjoy the car, and ignore the negative comments from people.
There was a good reason why you decided to buy it right...

Crystal Peaks wasn't she in that movie Debbie does Dallas??

Barnsley, but spend alot of time in Rotherham due to the misses. nice to know there's someone close by

You're lucky that Dave Bayern has all but disappeared and Grathies rarely posts otherwise you'd probably be asking for your deposit back.

The S3 is a decent car, that does nothing brilliantly but most things well. Just don't expect too much and you'll be more than happy with it.

It's no R32 though...:undwech:

They don't handle very well..
The brakes are poor...
They wear tyres/brakes/suspension bushes like nothing else...
Thery are dull as dushwater to drive hard...
The image of the Audi driver may well be dropping...

But damn I miss mine.
Once sorted it was amazing. A really able, quick car.
Still dull to drive, but probably because it did things just a tad too well to be entertaining.

I'd have my old S3 back in a heartbeat.
Still the best all round car I've ever owned.

They don't handle very well..
The brakes are poor...
They wear tyres/brakes/suspension bushes like nothing else...
Thery are dull as dushwater to drive hard...
The image of the Audi driver may well be dropping...

But damn I miss mine.
Once sorted it was amazing. A really able, quick car.
Still dull to drive, but probably because it did things just a tad too well to be entertaining.

I'd have my old S3 back in a heartbeat.
Still the best all round car I've ever owned.

I think some of the cotton wool members will have to print this one off

LOL...this is such a good thread, well done Dani....

Everyone is always moaning about their car doing this and doing that wrong and its blah blah blah, but look there is still alot of love in the world for the S3 (even from Glen ;))

Was asking where you were from as assumed the B19 in your name may have something to do with your postcode, (Brummy postcode)

got to remember on a forum no one really posts that their car has been fine for years, people generally post with problems so thats all you get to read. Im in Huddersfield btw so only just over the hill from you.

You're lucky that Dave Bayern has all but disappeared and Grathies rarely posts otherwise you'd probably be asking for your deposit back.

The S3 is a decent car, that does nothing brilliantly but most things well. Just don't expect too much and you'll be more than happy with it.

It's no R32 though...:undwech:

thats a point where are all these old names nowadays??

r32....humm up for discussion although personally never driven one, would like to though to compare.

in all seriousness i love the s3, like veryone says doesn't do anything spectacular but does everything well in my opinion, everything that i wanted in a car anyways. Enjoy it mate. (then get a REVO and enjoy somemore!!)