Brake issues...

Ibzzzzz

Reaction score
Basically went to change the Discs and Pads on the A3 and when I took the caliper off I saw that the nearside top hex bolt holding it in was not tightening at all checked the threads on the bolt they were fine, however the threads in the hole it go's into are F'd! How do I go about getting this tight? As the big metal it tightens into is basically part of the Hub which I really am not in the mood to change!

Unfortunately I don't think you have must choice. You could weld the hold, redrill and recut the thread, but you might as well replace the hub assembly for all the work that is involved. Either way I suspect it's going to have to be removed.

Oh man! What other parts are needed to come off if the hub assembly is coming off?

It's quite straight foward. Loosen the large drive shaft nut with the car on the floor. Jack up and remove ball joint, steering tie rod end connection, caliper, disc and clamp bolt that holds the assembly to the shock.
Spread the slot at the rear of the hub where it meets the shock with a screwdriver or similar and it will drop out. Slide off the drive shaft.

You might be able to get a complete hub, otherwise you'll need to take the assembly to a garage to have a new bearing pressed in and your ABS ring with hub swapped over.

Straight forward for you maybe....But i will give it a go, Cheers matey!!

I've just had a thought. You could try a thread insert. You drill and tap a larger hole then screw in a sleeve which has an internal thread size and pitch the same as your bolt. The insert has a left hand thread to the hub so when you screw in the bolt it doesn't come loose.

I thought that but I get well baffed over the sizes...:blush: