Porsche Cayman Edition 1 vs Audi S3 Phase 2

Dazzeroo

Reaction score
My brother has just bought a Cayman Edition 1 and I was wondering how my car would fair against his on a private track :p. Apparently it does 0-60 in 5.1 and thats all I know performance wise...my car has a Milltek TBE, Dbilas Intake, Autotech Fuel Pump & Custom Code Phase 2 Software...just hypothesising a straight line and twisty race!???

Any ideas?

:happy:

To be honest I really think u smoke him, he might have 200kg less weight but you have 4wd and more power.. you got like 70nm more torque than him too.

If not it really is a 50/50 thing on this one :)

Edit: sorry for my use of the word 'smoke'.
but you will slightly push away indeed

they cayman may have an upper-hand through corners, but if you were to fit new suspension n maybe a haldex, then the s3 may be a winner!

Thrown in a bit of rain or drizzle and we'd have a clear winner.

Reactions: Gops
the cayman 0-100 time is superior to the S3 tho so he will most probably catch you on the straights, the cayman is not too bad a handler so would be pretty close.

Oh no, please not again, here we go the S3 & Cayman discussion comes back to haunt us, lol

lol, just buy a haldex, 30/70 front/rear power distribution, lowered bout 15mm n new anti roll bars then go on track, beat him n tell us how good it felt!!!!!!

Can somebody please ask the question which one will be more fun, Oh !! I just did...........

probably the cayman as the s3 is a very forgiving car, its very quick but can be drien quickly pretty easily, whereas your more on the edge with the caymen being rear wheel drive you can pop the back out through the corners. cayman more fun and more dangers, s3 very quick, still great fun n safe

I think it was a great thread! :nyah: It helped me decide and you were (IIRC) the only one that saw me going for the S3.

For the record, S3 Vs CaymanS (v1) up to 100km/h it was a pretty equal match I'd say. I tried it once :)

lmfao I actually put your name in the post above, then deleted as I couldnt remember if was you who started the previous one, lol, that was a fun thread for sure & tbh mate it was fairly obvious where you would land overall given the practicality requirements, no brainer but still fun discussing it, now where's my best friend, will he stoke up on this one.....................

To add, the cayman is the 1st porsche that actually makes me look more than once, I quite like it tbh, not practical, but people that buy them arent exactly looking to stick tools in the back are they, just in the drivers seat, quick run, cayman chasing me :undwech:

S3 quicker off the line (4wd helps), Cayman round the twisties.

because the porshe is much lower surely it will handle better less drag less roll.......will it

First of all the 8P S3 will handle nowhere near as well as the Cayman. It might be good but it's no Porsche. It'll just be wobbly understeer in the corners if it's pushed anywhere near it's limit. It's under powered too with it's little blown 4-pot and will never sound as good or be anywhere near as much fun to drive as the Porsche.

Then there's running costs to consider. The S3 will cost a fortune and may even be more to run and maintain than the Porsche. The Porsche will get through tyres a lot less quickly than the S3, as the car is so much more balanced . Items like suspension components, clutches, brakes, etc will last much longer in the Porsche too, they're designed to be driven hard rather than being based on a £14k hatchback.

It's no contest, Porsche wins every time.

interesting debate....once i've given it a go i'll let you know how i get on!!

fancy my car on a straigh tho

:)

To be fair Mitch he's only asking about performance, not living with it.

I think in the right hands and in the dry the Cayman would win everytime. Close call on the straight though.

I dont adam & eve it. A moderator, siding with the S3??? :O

Call the cops!!!

My money is on the S3, its the fastest thing on 4 wheels!

Joking aside, I'd love to see them go hammer and tongs round a circuit in capable hands. I would think it'd be a close call?

The S3 will haul *** through the corners blanmange style, the Porsche will be smooth as silk..

UPDATED - added BMW 135i Coupe where available...

Standard S3 v Cayman S laptimes v BMW 135i Coupe

Hockenheim Short: 1:17.5 v 1:15.5 v 1:17.4
Oscherlsben: 1:49.12 v 1:47.9
Autozeitung Test Track: 1:46.0 v 1:41.2 v 1:46.9
Bedford Autodrome West Circuit: 1:30.4 v 1:26.85

So, add a chip and some suspension mod's and I think it will be pretty close actually.
Granted - Cayman driver will have the biggest smiles... but also probably more likely to bin it lol

You're all missing the point.

I don't care what the figures are that Jamie has posted, no S3 is ever going to be as quick, or good to drive as a Porsche, no matter how much development Audi put into it, or how much you spend on it, never mind just sticking on a new map and a few bolt-ons.

Your argument is completely understandable, but Dazzeroo asked which is quicker...

An S3 will never be a Porsche, we agree, but especially with the Cayman, I think the S3 CAN be as fast, depending on many things. Am I the only one here? :uhm:
No

The Porsches we are talking about are no supercars Mitch so were does that leave it? Somewhere in between a sporty 2 seater (MR2) and full on sports car?

Id rather have a full on top of the range top the marque car like the S3, than a halfbaked sportscar :undwech:

The Porsches we are talking about are no supercars Mitch so were does that leave it? Somewhere in between a sporty 2 seater (MR2) and full on sports car?

Id rather have a full on top of the range top the marque car like the S3, than a halfbaked sportscar :undwech:

A halfbaked sports car that handles better than a 911, and a swap to the engine from a 997TT is pretty straight forward too, then you've got a car that's faster than a 911, handles better than a 911 and costs less than a modified 8L S3. You really do seem ignorant, dense, foolish, dull-witted, slow, simple minded, vacuous, vapid, idiotic, imbecilic, obtuse, doltish, thick, dumb, dopey, dozey, moronic, cretinous, pea-brained, halfwitted, soft-in-the-head, brain dead, boneheaded, thickheaded, wooden-headed and ever so slighty daft at times Wizbit.

Somebody got a Thesaurus for their birthday

Reactions: Gops
I thought "soft-in-the-head" was a pretty accurate description of Wizbit:

22de049343afb4c55353d68f52c56195.jpg

I really can't compete with that LOL!!

Did I just get pwned?? :)

:thumbsup:

Own a mapped S3 and love it but would still gladly swop for a Cayman S.

I took my bro's Cayman out last night and it is definitely not quicker in a straight line, granted it is a great car to drive though...the biggest thing for me was the lack of torque..it almost felt a little flat but I guess the two cars are two completely different beasts. The noise it made was amazing and the handling was first class.

I never intended for this thread to be a comparison between the two cars..merely, I wondered if my car would compare in a straight line drag race or round some twisty back roads and after driving the cayman I would argue that in capable hands my tuned S3 would match it...just my opinion though of course

:)

Didn't realise that you could pick up caymans from 20K, I was thinking about a sportback S3 for next year, but looks like I could keep my current 140ps tdi add some performance upgrades, get a cayman as well and still be slightly under S3 sportback cost... food for thought that!

Not sure who'd win the race, but would be fun to watch... make sure you vid it if it goes down! :o.k: