ipod connection help

Matt

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on an ipod connection for my 8P A3 with standard headunit and BOSE speakers.

I've got the audi ipod interface fitted but I dont use it as in short its rubbish.

Been looking at this kit
http://www.incaripod.com/Vehicle/Audi/DICE_Electronics_Audi_iPod_Integration_Kit

it reckons I would be able to fully control the ipod with the standard headunit. Does anyone know if it will display track and album information on the headunit? Thats what I'd like ideally. Any other kits I should consider?

Is it easy to route the wires behind the headunit and how hard is it to remove the headunit itself? I used to dabble in ICE a few years ago but never in a car as new as this.

Also the Brodit clips for mounting the ipod in the pic below

653991.jpg

When you come to remove them will it not leave a gap?

Any help appreciated and if possible pictures of other peoples set ups! If it was possible to control and see everything on the headunit I might be tempted to try and put the ipod in the glovebox out of sight.

That's the one everyone seems to use, although I'm pretty sure it won't display track info. Controlling the iPOD from the HU is a suitably vague description, again I imagine all you can do is shift up and down tracks, I doubt you'll get folders or playlists as the HU knows nothing about folders, although I could be wrong, I'm sure someone who's actually done it will be along to correct me.
Removing the HU just requires buying the removal keys, probably best to get them from Audi as the generic ebay ones are notorious for knackering the spring clips on the HU and then you end up stuck with the HU jammed in the dash. I'd also recommend removing the glovebox first and pushing the HU out from behind. Don't pull it out using the keys as this can knacker the clips as well.

The only sort of ipod interface I would be interested in is one that doesn't involve looking at the ipod when scrolling through. Without being able to see the albums and playlists you are scrolling through its going to be as pointless as the Audi ipod interface I've already got.

May aswell just get an aux jack fitted as per the newer A3s and control it all through the ipod. Is it possible/easy to fit an aux input do you know?

I have just taken delivering of a new A3 Sportback and I have the standard Audi glovebox ipod connection which is adequate for my use.

But I have taken the radio out and fitted a bracket (from my previous A3) to one of the fixing for the radio surround and then added a Brodit mount for my TomTom in a similar place to your diagram. I removed the radio just by using the normal radio keys and had no problems at all. The main thing is to remember to remove the keys from the radio before you put the radio back into place.

Here is a picture showing my setup...

A3-2009 wiring01 (Medium).jpg