Wipers on go slow

redspudder

Sparky
Reaction score
I switched my wipers on this morning and they seem to be running very slow could bearly make it to the top of the screen and back down again,they seemed to get back to a normal speed on setting 1 after a while but when ive switched up to setting 2 they down seem to be going any faster than setting 1 any ideas?

Its a fairly common problem, the wiper mechanism seizes up.

Have a read of THIS Audi-Sport.net thread, or THIS Audiworld thread.

That should sort you, not a job I would envy you on though!

Cheers for the info James :thumbsup: I will have a go if it ever stops raining,not looking forward to dismantling the mechanism though :( but ill give it a shot,think ill try the WD40 first seems a little easier.
I had them on,on my home tonight and they seemed o.k but im still not to sure if the 2nd speed is correct just doesnt seem right.

O had this problem, not easy to solve, sprayed the mech with WD40 worked ok for 24 hours then seized again ended up stripping it down.

I got a quote from a local independant and then got local Audi dealer to price match....£117 which included new wiper mechanism....

In a past life when I had loadsa time I would have done the job myself....but now a bit of a lazy ar$e :lazy: and I don't know what it is about Audi's but they seem bleedin difficult cars to do anything on...even changing a fricken light bulb !

Got to strip mine down tonight as the linkage is playing up so a good grease should do the job.

DIY

[FONT=verdana, arial, geneva]Slow Wiper DIY fix[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]x1rider[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, geneva]2008[/FONT]I started getting the "sticking wipers" problem a few days ago and decided to fix it.
First, I marked the windshield with tape so that I could put the wipers back into the right position.

Pull the rubber strip off the 1rst firewall.

Remove the plastic piece that covers the battery.

Remove the caps, nuts, and remove the wipers.

There are 3 metal clips that hold the plastic piece at the bottom of the windshield (only one left on my car!), remove them and remove the plastic piece.

Remove the ECU plastic cover.

You can see the wiper linkage fairly well in this pic.

You can see where the 2 linkages attach to the motor, pry the 2 arms off the ball end.

Remove the 3 bolts that hold the linkage to the car (I suggest you use an extension, I ended up hitting the positive pole on my battery with the ratchet while unscrewing the bolt and I had a little spark show).

Unplug the wiper motor connection.

Wiggle, curse and scream real loud, and remove the linkage assembly from the car.

You can see how badly rusted part of the linkage was, the spindle wouldn't even turn in the bushing.

I had to knock the crap out of spindle to remove it from the bushing (there is an c-clip, a flat washer, and an o-ring, make sure you remove the c-clip and don't lose the o-ring).

Before you continue, make sure the nut will still screw on the spindle. After all that banging with the ball peen hammer, my threads were screwed up. It gave me an occasion to break-in my brand new tap and die kit and re-thread the spindle.

I sanded, filed, and cleaned everything up real well and used some molypaste I had left from my previous bearing job on the Jetta to lube the spindle.

Everything ready for re-assembly.

Reverse the instructions and put everything back in the car and... voila!!!
...or you can just buy a replacement wiper linkage and swap it!!!

Mine did not had to buy new main linkage the ****** was stuck on for life and chances are you will nack the head where the arm sit hitting the crap out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks to docurley for the photo sequence - very helpful, and to Quattrojames for the correct diagnosis and links. Thanks Guys. Chrisavant

Hi I got the same problem on an A6 Avant, and have been told its a poorly designed linkage that allows for water ingression, and that the new one fitted has been 'redesigned' to prevent it happening.

Audi don't want to know when you relate this to them and you have to foot the bill in full for replacement, £138.00. what happened to the quality design? Come on Audi do something right and admit there is a problem and get them sorted.

Pigs might fly!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

When I first noticed mine were slowing I lubed them heavily with GT85 - which contains PTFE lubricant - and left them run for 30 minutes so it could work into the joints. I find WD40 displaces water (hence the WD bit) but tends to dry out rather that lubricate in the long run.

They've been fine now for over a month, touch wood. I'll probably give them another squirt next time I have to open the bonnet.

My wipers stopped dead on the M25 in the ******* rain on Saturday, scared the life out of me! They kicked back in again after about a minute, but needless to say I was crawling most of the way home just in case it happened again!

MAJOR design flaw if you ask me. Ridiculously dangerous.

WD40 has helped, but they are still slow and sometimes don't make it back down to the bottom of the screen. I am going to strip mine down asap. I really do not need a £140 bill for a new linkage right now. I'm in the middle of servicing the RS4 brakes I got of stoaksey, and need my cam belt doing in the next few weeks.

Looks like my friends and family are getting home made gifts for Christmas this year, lol.

wasnt this part of a recall? just checked my paperwork the recall number is 51B7 recall service plenum chamber as required, maybe worth a check at your local audi dealer, mine was done free, hope it helps

Ive just rang my audi dealrship and asked them about the date for this "recall" , he said they didnt write to audi owners it was called a audi workshop campaign, (still states on my invoice recall service plenum chamber and the code!) so when your car was in for a service (if you use audi dealers that is) they would automatically carry it out for you f o c. He recommended that you ring your audi dealership with your reg and see if it was done (if your not the first owner) as there maybe other audi workshop campaigns that need doing on your vehicle. hope this helps.
cheers mark

Last edited: