PSA Texting while Driving - Warning: Disturbing content

Scott

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted already. I did a search and couldn't find it. A very disturbing PSA video that does make you realise that dangers of using a mobile phone (texting) when driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ttNgZDZruI :scared2:

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I did debate between General Automotive Chat and the You Tube Links subforum, but I decided on General Chat to reach the wider audience... if this is wrong, pls move.

Scott

Last edited:
OMG!! Its a shame they will be unable to put this on tv. It would be "too distressing" I think they should be allowed. At the end of the day, this is real life its what could,has and will happen

Anyone old enough to drive is old enough to see this on TV past 11pm or so. They should be allowed to show it.

I agree ^^

Scott, I think it can stay here for max impact, though it may be worth editing so people know there is some very dramatic scenes in the video

I agree ^^

Scott, I think it can stay here for max impact, though it may be worth editing so people know there is some very dramatic scenes in the video

Hi Mark, I've changed the title to include "warning: disturbing content" :salute:

Not sure if this has been posted already. I did a search and couldn't find it. A very disturbing PSA video that does make you realise that dangers of using a mobile phone (texting) when driving.

Pretty grim stuff, though I consider trying to light a ciggie, fannying around with the satnav or playing with a radio just as potentially dangerous, its easier to demonise mobile phones.

its easier to demonise mobile phones.

I change the radio station but my eyes leave the road for half a second and foot comes off the accelarator,try sending a text message in the same time and with the same level of concentration ?
Pull over if you have to answer the phone ot text.

I change the radio station but my eyes leave the road for half a second and foot comes off the accelarator,try sending a text message in the same time and with the same level of concentration ?
Pull over if you have to answer the phone ot text.

Personally, I can text someone without even taking my eyes off the road, likewise if I need to look at my phone that only takes half a second. If a driver needs to do something that distracts them from driving then sure pull over. My original point still stands though that its just another vid demonising mobile phones, for every idiot who is driving while on the phone theres an idiot trying to fish out a map or cd from the glove box, wind down the window on the passenger door, type something into a sat-nav, find a toy for a crying baby etc etc...

You dont see vids for any of that.

IMHO.

Flipping 'eck.....that is one disturbing video......"hands up" I have texted whilst driving using my moby in a past life, when it was not illegal to use a mobile whilst driving, ....but since becoming illegal to use a mobile whilst driving my mobile is always kept in the boot of my car to avoid any possible temptation...having seen the video I am never going to txt whilst driving ever again !!!!

I fully agree with other posters - this should be put on TV after the 9:00pm watershed !

Last edited:
whilst driving my mobile is always kept in the boot of my car to avoid any possible temptation

Hmmmm....
And what about all the other distractions in your car???
Can't see the other half taking too kindly to being shoved in the boot! :no:

As for mobiles in the boot.... you do that for all journeys.... no matter how short??? Can see that becoming a right pain in the jacksy.
Not to mention the inevitable.... "oh cr*p, i've left my phone in the boot" after parking up and then being miles away from your motor!

Hmmmm....
Can't see the other half taking too kindly to being shoved in the boot!

LOL it's funny you say that as my other half will be in the boot this weekend to try and diagnose a rattle :idea:

Has to be said....I watch the Sweeney on Sky occasionally (I can remember when it used to be on at 9:00 in the evening as a kid and I was not allwed to watch it).....
No computers ...No mobile phones......fantastic !

Jesus...:ohmy:

Is that how ford are crash testing there cars nowadays.

The slogan after that add should read.

Get 500 free texts every month with orange.

The problem nowadays is that people are de-sensitised to these things because people are so used to seeing things like SAW and mega horrific gory films that these videos have no effect.

We have a generation of chavvy, feral, violent youths who will happilly stab you to death as look at you so most wiould take no notice of this.

Last edited:
That's a good idea actually and one that I will consider myself.

RNSE bluetooth is a godsend, i tend to pull over or just ignore texts but i do answer calls occassionally via bluetooth.

Also if you pause that video on her phone i wonder if you called those numbers if you would get through to anyone.

For me it wasn't actually the visual side of this video that shocked me, it was the realisation of the impact and collateral damage the accident had on others who don't always get thought of.
i.e. the child shouting for his mum and dad to wake up.
No amount of watching movies like Saw etc will ever desensitise me to images and thoughts of that.

Hmmmm....
Can't see the other half taking too kindly to being shoved in the boot! :no:

As for mobiles in the boot.... you do that for all journeys.... no matter how short??? Can see that becoming a right pain in the jacksy.
Not to mention the inevitable.... "oh cr*p, i've left my phone in the boot" after parking up and then being miles away from your motor!

Well...my moby hooks up to the Audi OEM Bluetooth that interfaces with my RNS-e.....I rarely make calls from my car...but its handy to receive calls whilst on the move....yeah I have left my moby in the boot of my car a few times....but hey I can live without it :uhm:

Interesting they use young girls in this vid.
IMO this group are the worst offenders for this, the percentage of young girls you see weaving around the road unable to negotiote junctions, while adopting that `one hand`,`head down` and occasional `glance up` driving technique is frightening.
Just because they have the phone in their lap it doesnt mean its not blatantly obvious what they are doing.

Its almost as if its Ok to text as a passing Police car wouldnt identify this stupidity as readily as a phone stuck to some ones ear.

This `stealth` way of using the phone might reduce the chances of getting rumbled by a passing cop car, but it will dramaticaly increase your chances of killing some poor b*astard in the process.

iirc there were 2 seperate cases in the media in the last 12 months where young girls have been involved in a fatal collision because of texting.
One even had the orragance to say her texting wasnt to blame for the fatal smash as she can text without looking:wtf:. Theres classic modern day remorse for you.
Im sure the families of the deceased felt much better in the knowledge...

Where as many young lads (not all of course) adopt the blatant ear to phone/elbow out of window/gangsta, driving technique.
Fcuking idiots, boils my p!ss.

End of rant.
Clearly a very emotive subject, credit to the OP.

cheers
Paul

iirc there were 2 seperate cases in the media in the last 12 months where young girls have been involved in a fatal collision because of texting.

Didn't see that, but a girl that used work where I work stepped out from between to parked cars and got hit.
Tried the "Where there's blame, there's a claim" route but got thrown out of court cos it turned out she was texting at the time...

IMO this needs to be watched by all new drivers when they take their theory test, it should be the first thing they have to watch, before going through all the questions they have to answer to qualify for a driving test.

The devestation such a stupid thing can cause is so terrible. Punishment for such a crime should carry a lifetime driving ban.

That is certainly a very shocking but hopefully effective video. The babies eye's are what did it for me ......

Sadly I have been first on scene to situations similar to this, and still now the continuous sound of a horn going goes right through me.

its a shocking video but straight to what can happen.
It is one of my pet hates and also people who don't where their seatbelt....
I hav someone close to me who dose not wear one and can not see the danger. no matter how much i tell them about it they still very rarely wear one...
some people just don't listen

wow what a video, powerful.

i actually work in a hospital, im now in main theatres and emergency theatres, but before that i worked in A+E and Neuro Critical Care Unit (NCCU) in Addenbrookes in Cambridge and boy have i seen some awful sights, unfortunately ive seen alot of people my own age, 18 - 22, die just because of them or theyre mates driving stupidly.

Im not one to speak i do speed, if the roads are quiet etc. But having seen some of the things ive seen it has made me completely think about driving on roads and thinking of my safety and of others.

its dealing with the family and seeing how much it upsets and how it affects all theyre relatives, thats the bit i found really tough.

this vid should be shown on tv or something.

Personally, I can text someone without even taking my eyes off the road, likewise if I need to look at my phone that only takes half a second. If a driver needs to do something that distracts them from driving then sure pull over. My original point still stands though that its just another vid demonising mobile phones, for every idiot who is driving while on the phone theres an idiot trying to fish out a map or cd from the glove box, wind down the window on the passenger door, type something into a sat-nav, find a toy for a crying baby etc etc...

You're totally missing the point. Texting, especially for the younger drivers, is back and forth, sometimes for the whole time they're driving, you change a cd once maybe twice, it's a mundane task that doesn't require your attention. Texting requires far more of your attention as it's not just the physical distraction of using the keypad, but also the mental distraction of composing the message. Of course mobile phones are demonised, that's because they cause far more accidents than pretty much anything else!
Also when was the last car you drove that had manual front windows?

What was the fiesta that hit them on the passenger side doing?! he was on the wrong side of the road, not looking either!

It keeps freezing while im playing it, very annoying!

scary stuff. Phones are a just one of the dangerous distractions, like kids & Satnav etc but its an easy one to avoid.

Chris, I know what you mean but I belive it was just to make the point of the knock on effect, you coud say the say about the original collison being avoided by other car too.

You're totally missing the point. Texting, especially for the younger drivers, is back and forth, sometimes for the whole time they're driving, you change a cd once maybe twice, it's a mundane task that doesn't require your attention. Texting requires far more of your attention as it's not just the physical distraction of using the keypad, but also the mental distraction of composing the message. Of course mobile phones are demonised, that's because they cause far more accidents than pretty much anything else!

Im not missing the point at all, you've just not read my posts properly, go back and try again.

If a driver needs to do something that distracts them from driving then sure pull over. My original point still stands though that its just another vid demonising mobile phones

So mobile phones cause more accidents than speeding or not leaving enough breaking distance?

funny-pictures-cat-finds-your-lost-marbles.jpg

You dont see vids for any of that.

IMHO.

100% mate :yes:

Someone with common sense...

So mobile phones cause more accidents than speeding or not leaving enough breaking distance?

More fatal accidents easily. Speeding only accounts for 7% of traffic accidents, but is an easy one to police with technology, breaking distance causes accidents yes, but not usually too serious, phones are far harder if not impossible to police which is why they are "demonising" them. Not everyone has your wonderful talent for texting without looking, and also reading texts without looking as well it would seem, I guess you have some sort of text to speech software?
I really don't know why you're getting so upset by this thread. You can carry on doing what you do as they clearly can't police the activity to anywhere near the same degree as speeding, it's just a public awareness campaign dramatising what has actually happened too often in this country. I agree it's just one of many distractions for a driver, but it's a new one, it's proved deadly and it's an easy one to stop.

Last edited:
I really don't know why you're getting so upset by this thread.

Im not getting upset by this thread one bit, I just thought I'd explain my point of view a bit better. As for the subject of the thread I just found the video unrealistic and a bit patronising BUT yeah show it to young drivers that are inexperienced hopefully they will take heed of the dangers of not concentrating on the road while they are driving and the importance of seatbelts. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the subject of mobile phones...