2005 A3 3DR - passenger door won't unlock

jrsteeve

Reaction score
Had this problem for a while now, everything else unlocks but the passenger door doesn't. Won't unlock using the key fob or the button on the drivers side, but does when you pull the door handle from the inside. Still makes the noise but keep having to get in the car and open it from the inside.

Hope that makes sense, any ideas what could be wrong?

Any help appreciated!

Do you press the button on the key fob just once?

If you do, it only opens the drivers door, press it twice and it should open the passenger door and the boot

Doesn't matter how many times it's pressed, it won't unlock the passenger door. Did work a while ago but not any more. I'm guessing it's something in the lock mechanism for the door that's dodgy as everything else works fine, just don't know exactly which bit needs looking at.

Sounds like the central locking motor is playing up, when you pull the handle from the inside this isn't using the motor which is why that works?

Ta robby. Are they quite simple to fix/change? It's due a service anyway but obvs want to keep the cost down if poss!

Sorry, never changed 1 - have heard this problem on a few VAG cars which is why i "think" it could be your problem

Pressing the key fob once only opens the drivers door??...Don't think so!
I think Robby has touched on the problem. Opening the door from the inside is just working the mechanics of the door - no electrics involved.
It sound's like the solenoid in the electronics of the door has failed. This could be due to damp corroding the wired contacts of the doors electronic system and might be cured by taking the door panel off, disconnecting the terminals and giving them a good clean and a spray of Servisol.
If that doesn't cure the problem then the next step would be to replace the door unlocking unit. If you were handy with a voltmeter you could check if an operating current is actually reaching the door by measuring the voltage across the electronic door mechanism while you press the unlock button on your fob.
Before doing this you could unlock all the doors and try the internal locking button to see if the passenger door locks. If the pass door doesn't lock then its either the electronic mechanism or the operating current that's the problem. This is where the voltmeter comes in. If you do try this don't forget to disable the interior motion sensors first. This is probably done using buttons on the drivers door located just above the latch..check your users manual.

Cheers for that, i'll have a look later on. It seems to lock fine with either the internal button or on the key fob, just won't unlock. Will let you know if it works!

Yep it has that, had to double click it pretty quick to unlock the passenger door!

I find it annoying - you unlock the car and go to the boot then have to unlock that before you can open it, i think if the car goes in for any work i'll get the feature changed so everything opens with 1 press

Sorry SMUDGE - didn't know that....oops....:sorry:
It is a stupid setup!

Last edited: