Dolphin grey

Free

Reaction score
hi has anyone got a picture of a dolphin grey a3 or s3 with the de chromed grill? tried searching but couldnt find anything. would like to see a pic before doing it to mine. cheers

Hey Free.

I just fitted my body-colour grill surround yesterday. Haven't taken pictures yet but when I do i'll send one to you.
Got the paint from Stafford Audi on eBay btw, about £17 and i've still got enough left to do my wing mirror too.

There's a Dolphin Grey S3 with black grill surround in a recent thread - i'll see if I can find the pic for you...

Maaan, that was harder to find than it should've been!

GreyS34.jpg

From...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?89207-8L-S3-Black-Grill-De-chroming

I will be adding a pic of mine to that thread tonight (if I can bloomin find it again!).

i did this upgrade to mine....looks loads more modern and so subtle...defo recommend...just make sure you layer it enough and use matt laquer if you can get some.... mines chipped a few places even with 4-5 coats of plastikote

cheers for that, tht pic looks really good, dolphin grey is definately one of the best colours. one other question: i have a facelift a3 but would a facelift s3 grill fit my car or is the fitment different? main reason for wanting the s3 grill is because the mesh surround looks a lot nicer.

i seem to think its not as straight forward as that...wait for confirmation but im sure it wont given what others have said........

my car :)

P1000635-1.jpg

cheers animal, that looks pretty nice, is their a how to do it guide on the forum?

probably, all you need is a small flat blade and guts.....the chrome outer just slips off but you need to lever it, pull and lever etc etc till its off..... then sand down to make rough....i just used plastikote black primer from halfrauds, 5 coats and then refitted, although next time its off im gonna use matt laquer too to make it more resistant to chips

halfrauds. lol. ok sweet. do you think it'll look alright with the a3 looking grill? also the car exterior is completed standard so would you say it be best to do the de chroming once i've got some new bigger alloys so that its done all in once and doesnt look stupid.

personally id wana see an A3 with it done mate.....although without seeing id suggest doing the bigger alloys first personally as its a finishing touch...but then you never know :)

Don't worry too much about which to do first - the grill is such a subtle mod that probably nobody will notice except you anyway!
The A3 and S3 grills are a different shape i'm afraid. Why not make yourself a custom one with different mesh?

ive always wondered what a facelift A3 grill would look like in black....obviously the A3 chrome covers a much larger area than pre facelift

took of the chrome surround this morning, couldnt find screw driver so used a spoon. lol. next day off i will start spraying it. will try and post up a pic with it done, looks alot different without the chrome on it already, but obviously the a3 is no s3 so the look will be alot more different.

Before
DSCF0807.jpg
Done the Grill what do you think, sorry for image quality After
new.jpg

Last edited:
cheers mate, what do you think of fitting an lcr splitter?

It's very much a personal choice thing.
I've got one in the shed but haven't tried fitting it yet as i'm not 100% sure it suits the car.
I quite like the roundedness of the front end and the LCR splitter kind of breaks that up...
...might fit it (when there's 0% chance of snow) just to see how I like it. Easy enough to remove and doesn't cost much.

cheers there mate, wasnt to hard to do. i used audi volcano black as the colour and came out nice. hopefully when i get a few other mods it'll be looking gd, wouldnt say no to the lcr splitter, bit more mean looking even tho its just an a3. lol

Hi Free. Car's lookig good. I also have a facelift A3. Does the chrome come away from the rest of the grill quite easily ?

thanks

Yer 10 minute jobby pulling it off. pain in the bum cause i couldnt find a screwdriver so i used a spoon to wedge it off. start from the corner. Cheers for comments