AEB & AJL Engine Differences

hardhitter

Reaction score
Can anyone list the differences between the AEB and AJL 1.8T engines. Interested in compression ratio, cylinder head and internal featuers really.

Thanks

yep, even the early AJLs share the same sensors too, the later ones have a different set of sensors with different sensors inc the oil quality sender in the sump for the AVS rubbish. Mine doesnt :icon_thumright:

yep, but thats because Audi simply remapped it from the factory. There were no hardware changes to get the increase in power.

Any ideas for mapping a AJL? I have been wondering about if you go big turbo who is best to map it as most places are just interested in the flashable A4's nowadays.
Anyone in the US will probably not have heard of an AJL as I do not think they got this engine.

R-tech or unicorn are your best bet they both seem to know there stuff with these ecu's.

Or convert to ME7 and get it tuned anywhere that does 1.8t tuning.

Rtech know these ECUs inside and out, I think Rick can do chip tuning, not 100%

Its not a "link" or "howto" job tbh, its fairly involved.

You need to swap the pedal box for a DBW version, swap the throttle to a DBW version, aquire a suitable ME7 harness from a DBW A4 and a suitable ECU, tweak some wiring to add the various electronic throttle specific stuff, swap the MAF and injectors to suitable versions, add a boost sensor, swap in a wideband lambda and probably various other bits i've forgotten.

Speaking of which, any progress on your conversion Kev?

Almost there.

Marks is up and running, albeit on Me7.1. I just need to find some time to swap out the pedal box then i can get stuck in with the wiring.

I assume the only wiring needed is the DBW pedal loom for the ECU itself?

You need the entire engine harness, then inside you need to add the loom for the pedal, as well as the clutch and brake switches and cruise control if you want that.

Given ME7.5 A4 Wiring looms are like hens teeth, then you'll probably end up with an ME7.1 loom, and have to modify it to take the wideband lambda etc as well.

I think that should be easy enough if it's like the transverse platform conversion too. Just add the pins for the WB to the ME7.5 ECU. Considering the placement of RHD ECU & the WB bung you could just put it completely in it's own loom instead of going over the trans and into the rest of the harness.

Looking good, might go find me an APU parts car.

Eurodyne (Chris Tapp) do a drob in ME5 ECU (DBC) with a 630cc MAF driven file for AEB
I got one for the build I had to sell

I have just sold it back to some guy over there!

The new Maestro version runs on ME7

I dont like the idea of these "one-for-all" files that the yanks seem to love. They're simply a compromise, brought about by a serious lack of proper custom vag tuners in the states. Theres really no need to use them in the UK as theres a number of decent tuners over here that will sort you a file properly tuned to the cars equipment.

If your going to mess with Maestro, you might as well just do some reading and tune the ECU properly with the knowledge/info thats available on the likes of Nefmoto. This is what i plan to do hence switching to ME7.

dont see the problem.
its flow based. fuelling based on airflow and boost

doubt most tuners will get any more out of you car just because you are running a 3" cat back vs a 2.75" or a big plenum Inlet mani vs stock

No, but individual setups are all different. It could be anything from an GT2860 to a 3076 and they're all running on the same file... Ignition timing cant be anywhere near optimised, fuelling will have to be really rich to keep things safe, and boost control will be non existent meaning more cash wasted on external boost control. Plus M3.8/5.x cant see boost, it bases everything on MAF and calculates boost/load using a model, so again more fuzzyness and guesswork.

Even running my slightly larger than stock K04 on my car with the stock K03 tune doesnt run perfectly, It runs well enough, but not perfectly, so how can you suggest the same tune can run a whole range of massive turbos just based on flow and get the best from them.

Its a bodge. Its not done in the UK because there are folk here who can tune your car properly (although granted, some of them are ****e!) and produce a map tailored to your cars exact spec.

Agreed

JCB, did your car ever run?

Maestro is also available for ME5 but in a very limited form.
There's so much more programming possible to do with ME7+

no, unfortunately not.
I had to sell the engine/parts or risk losing my house!

gutting but I had no choice. another day