Armrest Stuck...

Pete20vt

Supermoto Junkie
Reaction score
My armrest is stuck in the up position (2003 S3), when i press the button it feels like one side is as it should be but the other side is locked. I have no problem taking it apart but cant figure out how to, have popped the circular covers off the sides but the whole assembly is held together by a pressed on washer which i cant remove. I have searched on here but cant find any info with regards to removal??

golf said:
Tried searching? :whistle2:It's come up on here a fair bit.

YES i've tried searching, as it says in the 1st post. Searching didnt come up with a guide on how to sort it. Thanks very much for your constructive input though.

Last edited:
The first time I had this, it cam down to a penny being caught in the mechanism where the hinge is - how it got there I do not know.

The second time I had this I used brute force to push the armrest down in doing so i snapped the fcuker and so now have no armresst. If you do this - you can replace the armrest; you will need to buy the special adapter and then need to remove the entire centre console to get to fitting it.

After trawling the internet the only fix I know of is this one to repair the button that assists in moving the armrest up and down: http://00626e1.netsolhost.com/formoshun/s3/Armrest.htm

Will this fix your problem - I don't honestly know. But it is the only fix I know out there for the armrest.

If you do manage to do it and it fixes your issue - make sure you post it up so that others know about it.

And the part numbers for the bracket and adaptor: 8L0 864 283 B and 1J0 711 354

As you say, the button on the front works to unlatch it and may have broken - once the plastic under the handle breaks thats it. The button needs to apply pressure on two sides on the metal underneath and one side is not enough.

Easy enough to take the button off, as it is held on by four small torx screws inside the compartment behind it - these are disguised with the felt lining on the head so you may have to feel for them.

There is a repair kit available from Audi for this, so it's just a new button rather than full armrest - price about £15 max. Alternatively there's a DIY repair http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int56.shtml

Took the button off and found a little bit of plastic had broken off (not the usual bit that breaks) and had jammed the button. All good now :)