fitting fbsw to 54 plate

felixtcat

crash test dummy
Reaction score
I apologise in advance but I'm still farily new to this but ....
I have a 54 plate A3 and want to fit a flat bottom steering wheel , i dont have dsg or multi function (so do not require these on the fbsw) and would like to find a flat bottom wheel that fits straight on without having to get into the whole airbag fiasco .
Does anyone know of a wheel that fits straight on and if so what is the part number so I can start my trawl of ebay/breakers etc.
Or even better does anyone have one for sale ?
(is there a wanted section on this forum or do you just post in the classifieds?)
I have spent a while searching through previous threads and still havent found the info i need .
Any help would be much appreciated.
thanks

The tt/s3 fbsw will physically fit no probs with the airbag held in place by 2 screws but the you'l need to change the slip ring and even then iv read that the airbag wont work!

its a debate if it will or wont work, i see no reason whyit wont when both stages are roued together, that being said best not to tempt ate with that one, simply put you are always gonna need an airbag, if youre brave enough you can buy an airbag cover and attempt to make your own fromyour old airbag, again not reccommended only other option is to convert your airbag system int dual stage, i haven't seen this done, i know nhn was working on it though

Ok , just to clarify , a 3 spoke normal wheel from a 54 plate contains a single stage airbag , but all flatbottom wheels contain 2 stage airbag?

54 is 2004? (different here in northern ireland)

If so, it will fit but you need the control module (£115) and the slip ring (£55/60) and then it is a straight fit

But you will then need vagcom to program the module to tell it you now have multifunction capabilities or what I had to do since I had an aftermarket head unit was to tell the module to light up the control on the MFSW but to disable them.