Intermittent radio reception

polar

Reaction score
I have been having a problem with the radio reception.

Every couple of days I loose radio reception, if I turn the volume right up then can hear something with the usual crackle.

Does any one have any ideas.

I was looking at checking the aerial lead but I am not sure how to access the rear of the stereo

I can't help you with the problem itself, but a set of radio keys will allow you to pull the radio out and check the connections behind it.

Lift your boot and to the left hinge is a rubber tube surrounding a loom. This contains your ariel. On the cabs this is a common problem. The ariel gets kinked/broken with the boot opening and closing. Needs cutting at the week point and rejoining.

The radio is original, I will look at the wiring loom under the boot lid first. Will let you know how I get on

I agree the aerial wire in the boot hinge rubber is where i would start looking

Can anyone give anymore details of which wire to look at.

I have looked at the left hand side as i look from the rear and can only see one brown and a couple of black wires. Which one is the aerial.

Does anyone know where to get the keys to remove my original stereo?

its not the radio, if yours is a cab, its deffo the loom going from the car to the boot..... done several of these now

Which cable is the one to replace, I can see a brown cable and a couple of black ones on the loom

It's one of the black ones. You need to peel back the rubber and fiddle about with each one individually , you'll know when uve found the one as your radio will come and go whilst wiggling

No real need to replace. Just find the damaged section and cut it out and re join the cable.

I can absolutely confirm that the problem is both the black aerial leads which are running through the rubber wiring protector from the boot lid. I have just bought A4 Cab and had same problem. Went to my mate at Audi Worcester and he told me it is really common and audi sell the replacement aerial cables for £93 each and you need 2. He told me an easy fix. Heres how i did it. seperate all the wires from the rubber, cut them but remember which goes to which and buy some cheap car aerial cable from ebay etc and connect to either ends. it is only where the aerial cable runs through the rubber protector. mine is now perfect and only cost about £8. Thanks

ive done a fair few now, always just cut out the broken section and re joined, same effect really i suppose. and yes its a very common fault on the cabs

Hi, I registered on Audi-Sport net simply to respond to this thread which I found via google.

I have the same problem and my local Audi dealer has just told me it will be £500 to fix. I do get the odd station in town but reception is fuzzy and out of town the radio picks up nothing. I have already stipped out the boot and wasn't sure if it was the wire connection (considering i do get some limited reception) o an aerial amp so have just suffered on since then.

But thanks for the helpful advice on the subject here; I now plan to tackle the fix described above in the next while.

Will this be the same fix for a 2002 hard top saloon with hardly any FM reception?

I have been looking at both the leads again, I can't quite find the breaks so I must be both the cables. I shall have another look this weekend.....

polar, ur not looking for a break / split cable exactly, yeh you might have a split but you may just have a broken down cable inside, not neccesarly the out of the cable, more the strands inside, its like a mini coaxil.
you need to playabout with them whilst having your radio on and see which one makes the signal stronger, it wouldnt hurt to repair both !!!

I have some RF cable so plan to just cut both cables either end rubber protection and rejoin. Hopefully that will crack it

Hey polar,
how did Your self fix go? I am having the exact same problem and I am thinking of doing a diy on it. I Am a completely untalented so any info on how you reconnected the cables would be really appreciated. I will need a soldering iron I suppose? Cheers in advance.