changing OEM intercoolers for 1 R33 gts-t skyline inter cooler

FumaS3

Reaction score
saw this most in a very nice s3 in redline mag about a year ago but at the time had no reason to look into it.now i have been offerd the intercooler from a mate for next to nothing soooooooo. any one got any advice,tipes,or info on how im gona be abble to fit it is it a easy swap or do you have to remove stuff other then the norm(grills ect)

I spoke to Rob at Redline a bit ago about this and sadly he didn't have much info on the install but he did say that the owner said it was a easy fit and from the pictures i've seen it would be a better fit than the ebay cooler.

If you have been offered a GTR cooler for free then take it, not sure if the GTS-T is the same as the GTR one?

Its a bumper off job if you want to fit fit a cooler

The R33 gts-t intercooler... skyline i take it?
They are small. Ive got one at home and wouldntuse it on anything bigger than a starlet im building

small??
I dont know the dimensions of it but an S3 on stage 2 doesnt need a very vig intercooler neither.

dimensions on the Skyline cooler you are pointing at plz

Would this be the white S3 that was stripped out, caged with a fresh paint job that was taken to the 'Ring for the photoshoot, and then smashed it up on a corner before they'd taken any photo's?

This one:

s3crash.jpg

The GTS cooler is a front mount if I remember rightly. Looked an ok size aswell.

im fitting a long slim fmic inconjuction with both smic,s, i think it should work pretty well, and i dont have to cut the crash bar, and more importantly it is 100% efficient, not 50% hid by the bumper :think:

im fitting a long slim fmic inconjuction with both smic,s, i think it should work pretty well, and i dont have to cut the crash bar, and more importantly it is 100% efficient, not 50% hid by the bumper :think:

Be interested to see what pressure drop you get from that.....

<tuffty/>

and what is the gain of leaving the 2 smic if you will have a FMIC that will be 100% efficient?
How slim it is? i will be fitting a 63 mm width intercooler and i dont think i will need to cut the crash bar

and what is the gain of leaving the 2 smic if you will have a FMIC that will be 100% efficient?
How slim it is? i will be fitting a 63 mm width intercooler and i dont think i will need to cut the crash bar

to help with the cooling as it is only a slim fmic, if you are deleting the smic,s and dont need to cut the crashbar i would suggest your cooler is to small? imo of course :)

no it aint :D
and with AH fab intercooler you dont have to cut the crash bar neither.
the space is limited so you cant have too many intercooler sizes options but let me give you an idea that a 500mmx240mmx63mm intercooler would fit tight.
and even...the S3 2 smic's arent doing a great job anyways so even with a medium/small core fmic you will be doing better and it all depends at what stage of mod's your car is
your idea is very interresting too but im concerned in the pressure drop you might get and the more lag too....

The standard intercoolers will just heat back up the air that the fmic would of just cooled down though surely?

no it aint :D
and with AH fab intercooler you dont have to cut the crash bar neither.
the space is limited so you cant have too many intercooler sizes options but let me give you an idea that a 500mmx240mmx63mm intercooler would fit tight.
and even...the S3 2 smic's arent doing a great job anyways so even with a medium/small core fmic you will be doing better and it all depends at what stage of mod's your car is
your idea is very interresting too but im concerned in the pressure drop you might get and the more lag too....

Wow ive just fitted the AH cooler and id love to know how you can fit it without cutting the crash bar or having the bottom section sticking out below the bumper???????

i did say you dont need to cut the bar...i didnt say that the bottom section wont be sticking out below the bumper
did you cut your crash bar to fit your AH cooler?
maybe im wrong but when i took my bumper off to have some measures....60mm was doable between the crash bar and the rad

my bad mates :S lol maybe too many beers when doing the measurment conversions :D
you are 100% right the crash bar does need to be fitted

the one i will be fitting is around 700x180x63 and the core size is just a bit smaller (560x160x63)
I will be trying to make it fit mostly under the crashbar. The size isnt universal it is being made by a company here in the usa. I would say the quality would be good but not excellent

Last edited:
The standard intercoolers will just heat back up the air that the fmic would of just cooled down though surely?
?? how can they heat it back up?it is not going near a heat source when it enters the first smic.... it will go through one smic then forced air front then the other smic

Last edited:
Would be interesting to see what a small fmic with the two smic's would do. I would imagine though that if it was worth doing, one of the tuners would have already done it.

Would be interesting to see what a small fmic with the two smic's would do. I would imagine though that if it was worth doing, one of the tuners would have already done it.
well for a start there wont but much profit in it, as it is a simple job with little pipework, wip the connecting pipe off and join the 2 ends....done.. looking at it i dont think there is much more volumetric air in the fmic from the originalconnecting pipe...so happy days, when i take the pipe off i will fill it with water and see how much it holds compared to the fmic..
by the way if anybody is interested i got a super deal from this guy on ebay.... uk-performance-uk some cheap stuff going on there

i apologise to the OP for the hyjack i will start my own when i get round to it :tapedshut:

Last edited:
Would this be the white S3 that was stripped out, caged with a fresh paint job that was taken to the 'Ring for the photoshoot, and then smashed it up on a corner before they'd taken any photo's?

This one:

s3crash.jpg

The GTS cooler is a front mount if I remember rightly. Looked an ok size aswell.

this is the 1 yes i couldnt remeber spec and the cooler im offerd is the gts 1 not seen it yet but eould prolly want to run the smaller gts 1 witrh the ome ones if its that small as im planing on make it a sleeper and a huge intercooler sorta gives away the game lol i havent looked at all posts yet only just got in

Jus paint it black and you won't be able to see it unless you know it's there. Alot of people have done that with their ebay jobbies and AH Fab's ones. Looks good.