BV39 or GT1646V

Mujnu

Reaction score
I've been looking all over the net for some information on this but can't find anything at all so thought I'd turn to everyone on here :).

I have an A3 1.9tdi BKC 55 plate (registered in 06).

I've been trying to find out what turbo is in my car, I've been told for my engine code, turbos were sourced from both BorgWarner and Garret, I think I've narrowed it down correctly to either a BV39 or GT1646V (correct me if im wrong) but not sure which would be on my car :/

Also, which would be the better turbo?

Thanks in advance :)

I believe you should look for a sticker on your turbo with model printed on it :/
Usually Garrets are more durable.

I don't have a clue where my turbo is let alone a sticker! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Thanks for the reply Keram

If you're looking for an upgrade then tge gtb1749vc or bv43 is the way to go...drop me a line if you're thinking to upgrade...

I'm not really looking for an upgrade Chris, more so a better equivalent for what I already have. I'll definitely drop you a line though. The two turbos you mentioned are they direct bolt on and no other mods needed? And is the gtb1749vc off the 170bhp?

Yep, both turbos are off the 170 Bhp 2.0 tdi engines, both quattros ! Neither turbo
will be plug and play but it doesn't take a long time to fit-minor modding !

Yep, both turbos are off the 170 Bhp 2.0 tdi engines, both quattros ! Neither turbo
will be plug and play but it doesn't take a long time to fit-minor modding !

Then I'll have to also change my clutch etc. I'll give those two turbos a miss lol what turbo would you reccomend for a 1.9tdi?

See the posts above...gtb1749vc would me my candidate however the exhaust manifold would not bolt to your car so welding a flange to the turbo will make it plug and play...
Bv43 off the longitudinal CR engine is also good turbo, with early exhaust manifold from sharan or golf gt tdi will also be reasonably easy to fit...most things will go in with a large hamer and a welder !

Reactions: Mujnu
See the posts above...gtb1749vc would me my candidate however the exhaust manifold would not bolt to your car so welding a flange to the turbo will make it plug and play...
Bv43 off the longitudinal CR engine is also good turbo, with early exhaust manifold from sharan or golf gt tdi will also be reasonably easy to fit...most things will go in with a large hamer and a welder !

Would a bigger turbo require me to buy new injectors too? Thanks Chris.

Nope, a bv43 or gtb 1749vc will run happily on stock injectors and hardware...

Oh I didn't know that, would I need a sports clutch and another remap? As I'm on stage 1 now pushing 140bhp but that's on a standard turbo and clutch

Here's a gtb2260vk going on a 2007 Audi a3 2.0 tdi Quattro... Getting the old turbo out was a mission as the transfer box needs removing to make room for removal of the DPF and egr cooler + the oil drain pipe doubles up as a support bracket for the turbo and it's such a rubbish design... I won't be touching another Quattro soon ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 350
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 218
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 265
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 228
Reactions: Mujnu
Here's a gtb2260vk going on a 2007 Audi a3 2.0 tdi Quattro... Getting the old turbo out was a mission as the transfer box needs removing to make room for removal of the DPF and egr cooler + the oil drain pipe doubles up as a support bracket for the turbo and it's such a rubbish design... I won't be touching another Quattro soon ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    852.7 KB · Views: 274
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 245
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    941.8 KB · Views: 205
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg