Front Dome Light Upgrade/Retrofit

Hi I had to wired from sc8( fuse box behind the glove compartment if it's right hand drive) to the main roof light unit wx3 and 3 wires from wx3 to rear light w43, everything was fine except the light time while driving, light go off after 2 sec but from next day everything worked fine, a bit strange.
Roof module

Last edited:
also I had this

Female Crimp terminal Connectors, J519 car terminals for VW,2.8mm Pin terminal​

Crimping Tools For XH2.54 Tab2.8 4.8 6.3 /Tubular/Insulated Terminals With 8 Jaw Kit​

Attachments

• indeks.jpg
    indeks.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 140
  • indeks1.jpg
    indeks1.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 134
Hey guys,

Just swapped out my "normal" interior for full soul black S-line interior. In there was a LED interior light (I'm still waiting for the rear light to arrive). Would this be a plug and play? Because I now connected the front interior light and it didn't work, does it need the back light to create some kind of a full circuit?

To be clear, I got a normal standard A3 8V. I had the beige looking interior light with the headliner and the rearlight with red connector. It's now swapped for the black interior light with a big black connector. Do I need to repin some things or code?

I did read about the KL30G, will code that tomorrow and see if that helps

Hi henkkeumus did you manage with it or you need some help?

Hi henkkeumus did you manage with it or you need some help?

Hey Ogi,

Thanks for asking.

No sorry, I didnt got it to work though. Let me explain again as my last post was from my phone.

I bought a A3 8V 2014 Sportsback which had the beige headliner and pillars. I'm all about that S-Line :D so I bought the nice black headliner, pillars and the headliner. With that I need some interior lights, so I bought them of a partsdealer (second hand). The parts came of a A3 Sportback (8VA/8VF) Hatchback 5-drs 2012 / 2020 (WAUZZZ8V1DA033104) All connectors were the same so I think that shouldn't be a real issue. The only difference is that the unit I bought has a roof control button but I dont have the pano roof, but that shouldn't be an issue I guess..

I switched it all this weekend and thought it would be a plug and play just like the 8P was (also did a conversion on that one). However turns out it doesn't gehe. All connectors fitted into the front interior light but no luck, it got no power.

I then started to Google and search the forum where I found this post. My interior lights got no power at all, no button works or LED on them nothing. At the moment of testing I didn't had the rear interiorlight connected as I wanted to make sure it worked all before putting things in my headliner.

Looking back at the fact that it didn't work and has no power it's sounding like a wiring issue. I get it that this will be guessing withouth partnumbers so I will disassemble the light this evening and get some partnumbers. Does the rear interiorlight need to be connected to create some kind of a full circuit before both will work?

So, I had the normal beige interiorlights first which had the "normal" hallogen bulbs. I didn't even knew these units came with LED so the lights I now have obviously are LED units. Do they require re-wiring?

I'm kind of new to the 8V, I'm coming from the 8P model and I know all ins- and outs from that model. Time to explore the new one.

For the records, I drive a pre facelift car. So not sure if the wiring for the interiorlights changed over the years.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
So, I think I've figured it out :)
To update the topic and maybe help others ill share my findings.

So I had a Pre facelift A3 8V with the beige headliner and "normal" controls. I bought a 2015 LED unit (see photo below).
note: I bought one with the sunroof but my A3 doesnt have that option. Doesnt matter as the button will be there but purpose no function.

photo-2021-07-05-21-00-24.jpg

photo-2021-07-05-21-00-31.jpg

I tried it by just plugging in the connectors. Unfortunatly nothing happend. At first I thought I needed to connect the rear lights aswell to create some kind of electrical circuit but that didn't help either. I then went and took the unit out of the car and checked the wire that comes from the car and goes into the LED unit (the 6 pins connector). I made a photo (see below).

photo-2021-07-05-21-00-29.jpg

photo-2021-07-05-21-27-53.jpg

I remembered the ElsaWin posts in this topic so I booted up my own Elsa and checked the differences (see below).

Variation 1:
This is the pinout for the wire that goes into the unit when you have the "normal" unit, mostly found in the beige units and NON LED units. In ElsaWin this connector is indicated as "T6am".
photo-2021-07-04-11-15-56.jpg

PIN 1 = Brown
PIN2 = Green
PIN 3 = N/A
PIN 4 = White/Purple
PIN 5 = Grey/White
PIN 6 = N/A

Variation 2:
As you can see this is for the LED unit as the 12PIN connector to the rear interior light is on this one. The wire that goes into the unit from the car is indicated as "T6d".
photo-2021-07-04-11-13-56.jpg

PIN 1 = Grey/Purple
PIN 2 = Green
PIN 3 = Brown
PIN 4 = Blue/Red
PIN 5 = Purple/White
PIN 6 = Grey/White

This means that the LED units has 2 more cables coming in. I then looked at what all the wires in the connectors are for.

Variation 1:
PIN 1 = Brown goes into '367'. That is the GND (ground).
PIN 2 = Green goes into 'J519'. That is the BCM (body control module) that controls electronics in your car.
PIN 3 = N/A
PIN 4 = Purple/White goes into 'B467'.
PIN 5 = Grey/White goes into 'B731'.
PIN 6 = N/A

Variation 2:
PIN 1 = Grey/Purple goes into line 'B316'. This is a Positive connection (30amps) in main wiring harness.
PIN 2 = Green goes into 'J519'. That is the BCM (body control module) that controls electronics in your car.
PIN 3 = Brown goes into '367'. That is the GND (ground).
PIN 4 = Blue/Red goes into 'T8a'.
PIN 5 = Purple/White goes into 'B467'
PIN 6 = Grey/White goes into 'B731'.

So the final rewire I need to do is;

PIN 1 =
PIN 2 = Green
PIN 3 = Brown
PIN 4 =
PIN 5 = Purple/White
PIN 6 = Grey/White

This means I "miss" 2 wires.
- Blue/Red goes into 'T8a'.
- Grey/Purple goes into line 'B316'. This is a Positive connection (30amps) in main wiring harness.

I assume the Grey/Purple one is needed for constant power to the unit and the Blue/Red to control the sunroof button. Meaning I will need to run a cable to the fusebox (location SC8) for a permanent +12V. Hope anybody can confirm this.

Sorry for the long post, hope anybody can make use of it :).

Last edited:
And can anybody tell me what the two things in front are? 1 should be the mic but I cant figure what the other thing is..

So I pulled the fusebox out and saw SC8 was already occupied. I spliced into the loom that was already there but the LED's wont work. They do for a quick split second. Not the 2 seconds you guys are talking about. I did code the PWM and set it to active but I think it had something to do with not enough power coming through?

SC8 had a 10A fuse in it, maybe there need to be a bigger one in it?

Put in a 30A fuse but no difference..

Anybody who can help? I wired it up like Elsa is telling me.. However like I said SC8 was already occupied in my fusebox and not sure where that goes into. So I spliced into that loom.

Hello!! I m trying to retrofit led interior with the original dome lights and harnesses. I changes the pin as they said above and wired direct for a fuse with permanent power and the result is not working of course and when I press the buttons lights come up and close in one second!! Help me please

Hi all,

I’m trying to make this retrofit but I’m not sure how to connect the red original 3 pin connector to the new premium dome port (12 pin).

Thanks in advance

A5A619E7 397B 4E5B 9498 AA365B26ADEA

F23DC005 5A25 4586 BB74 22687DC49F27
A43BE472 EE74 4FCD BA34 311C411C9C20

Hello,

I have just modified the dome with the connections as indicated on the 1st page, everything works but I have the problem of the lights going out after 2 seconds when the motor is on.
Nobody has solved the problem yet, (except by magic when the next day it worked normally lol (for me the magic didn't work)).

Hello,

I have just modified the dome with the connections as indicated on the 1st page, everything works but I have the problem of the lights going out after 2 seconds when the motor is on.
Nobody has solved the problem yet, (except by magic when the next day it worked normally lol (for me the magic didn't work)).

Yes,

You need coding:
Access module 09
Security 31347
Adaptions
Then look up something called Interior light -KL30G ohne PWM

Reactions: fOomad
Oui,

Vous avez besoin de coder :
Accéder au module 09
Sécurité 31347
Adaptations
Recherchez ensuite quelque chose appelé Éclairage intérieur -KL30G sans PWM
Thanks for your reply, it's true that I haven't tried that, as I saw that it hadn't worked on one person... I'll try it this evening, thanks buddy

Yes,

You need coding:
Access module 09
Security 31347
Adaptions
Then look up something called Interior light -KL30G ohne PWM
I'd like to thank you because that was indeed the problem.
After I did the manipulation, it works without any problem even with the engine on

Merci!

I've rearranged the pins like it says in the thread but it didn't work, when i put the white and purple into pin 1 it works but it flickers, is this where i need the 2nd power source

also i doesn't turn on when the door is opened or car is unlocked, can anyone help me please

I've rearranged the pins like it says in the thread but it didn't work, when i put the white and purple into pin 1 it works but it flickers, is this where i need the 2nd power source

also i doesn't turn on when the door is opened or car is unlocked, can anyone help me please
At home, I followed exactly as indicated in this thread, at first nothing lit up but after adding the +12 wire directly from the battery, everything worked

At home, I followed exactly as indicated in this thread, at first nothing lit up but after adding the +12 wire directly from the battery, everything worked
Do you remember what fuse location and amp you put the 12v line from?

Vous souvenez-vous de l'emplacement du fusible et de l'ampli à partir duquel vous avez branché la ligne 12 V ?
I don't remember the fuse because I was already using it for something else.
But it's easy to find on the internet

Do you remember what fuse location and amp you put the 12v line from?

I don't remember the fuse because I was already using it for something else.
But it's easy to find on the internet
Hi i got the illumination light working but the main lights only work if i swap the illumination and 12v pin for some reason but then i lose illumination, it also doesnt work when the cars off and instantly turns off when the car key is taken out

I've just checked for you, I've connected to fuse F7 (I own a 2013 A3 8V Sportback)

I don't know if this changes anything but i placed the beam between the front and rear dome with the 8V0971100B (others have used the 8V0971100C, I think it's the same)

And for the connection, I followed this:

Originally my pin assignments into the T6 dome light connector were this:
Original stock:

Pin 1 - Brown
Pin 2 - Green
Pin 3 - [empty] (Personally I had a wire here (Red w/ blue))
Pin 4 - Purple w/ white
Pin 5 - Gray w/ white
Pin 6 - [empty]

Modify as follows:

Pin 1 - to +12v [run dedicated lead to fuse box constant power]
Pin 2 - Green
Pin 3 - Brown
Pin 4 - [empty] (So I put (Red w/ blue) here, it was the only free place anyway lol)
Pin 5 - Purple w/ white
Pin 6 - Gray w/ white

Normally, everything works, except that when the motor is switched on, the dome switches off. So you need to code with VCDS like this:

Access module 09
Security 31347
Adaptions
Then look up something called Interior light -KL30G ohne PWM, change the value to "activate" if I remember correctly.

I've just summarised as accurately as possible what I did and it worked for me (A3 8V Sportback 2013).
But I've only summarised everything that's on this thread :)

Bon courage mon ami