Help with my a4 b8 problems please

badayuni83

Reaction score
I purchased a b8 2.0 tdi manual from what I thought was a reputable dealer. I have had the car a few months and I am slowly starting to notice certain things that don't seem right. I would be so grateful if anyone could tell me what my problems are

The car is 1 owner from new with 62k miles full Audi service history 2.0 tdi manual 2010 year

Problem 1

If the car is stationary and in neutral if i push the clutch in and release it slowly as if I am in gear setting off the rev counter moves as if it thinks I need the biting point but I am in neutral. If I release the clutch the rev return to normal but there is a delay

I also noticed that sometimes the clutch squeaks when being pressed. Not sure of this is anything to do with the problem.

Problem 2

When the engine is underload high gear low speed I can hear an awful rattle sounds like the exhaust. Nothing is loose I have been told that the baffles inside the backbox have collapsed is this a possibility or a more serious problem?

Problem 3

When i accelerate sharply I can hear a whistling noise from the engine only occurs under sharp acceleration in high revs

Problem 4

Occasionally the idle speed is 1000 rpm then after sometime returns to normal. Not sure is this is related to the clutch issues I mentioned

Problem 5

Terrible fuel economy. Getting 26mpg around town

Any help would be so appreciated

Last edited:
First port of call, I'd say get it scanned for any logged faults with VCDS ( there's prob someone near to you hopefully who can help in exchange for a coupla beer tokens)

Here is a couple of videos showing my Problems one with the clutch thing and one loud engine and alternator

First port of call, I'd say get it scanned for any logged faults with VCDS ( there's prob someone near to you hopefully who can help in exchange for a coupla beer tokens)

+1 Get it scanned first with VCDS or similar, will give you lots of information. Where about's are you located?

There is a VCDS map on this site, so check it out and see if you can find someone local.

Hi guys thanks for your help. I am in Sheffield would anyone be willing to do a vcds scan for me in exchange for beer tokens please be so grateful