Modified OEM Intake - 8V S3

RO65ERS

Reaction score
Now, i've had circa 1,543 PMs about this. (ok, maybe 5 or 6)
when I've gone to forward the PM to the next person, the pictures don't work so i think its easier to make a thread.
now i didn't take pictures when i did it, maybe one or two on my phone, so I'm going to use some online images for this as well. this is BRIEF, as its self explanatory when you start doing it.

Quick brief of what i have done, and my results / personal findings.
(at no point will i take responsibility if you do this and 1, don't like it. 2, don't feel you have gained the same results as me, 3, **** it up and require new trim or parts due to damage caused, 4, void any warranty. this ISNT a noticeable modification, they would have to open the inlet tube on the slam panel to see that its been cut, and they have no need to do this during servicing! and most people wouldn't notice the resonator missing when changing the air filter at service. BUT i will not state its warranty safe on any trim, or the intake system.)

So, there are a few restrictions on the standard intake - from grill to air box. (I've not changed my inlet pipe or elbow in anyway, but i plan to in due course.)
There is a restriction on the actual grill itself - its blocked.
there in a restriction on the the inlet piping on the slam panel - its blocked.
and also one inside the box - a resonator / grill.

I opened up the two blocked restrictions and removed the resonator / grill.

I have found, (no other mods at this time) smoother and stronger pick up from 2k, induction noise - very noticeable, sounds like i have an open cone CAI, a very nice sucking noise, and turbo noise which is absolutely stunning. a nice dump on lift off. Will i get an induction kit now. simply no. i plan on a performance foam filter! that it is. I am very VERY happy with what i have done.
( i will stick the go pro in the air box at some point and record it)

so we start by popping the bonnet and removing a few torx screws.
the top two, is just a cover, this will tilt/rock/fold/pivot towards you, and then lift up.
the next two down, will release the next section (shown next)
the bottom three, will then allow you to pull the grill towards you approx 1 inch. this will give you enough room to get behind it, when we need to.
10600603 207147686321461 8563292592796721485 n

the section you are going to remove here, is held in place by the 2nd set of screws. it will simply pull out, BUT it is clipped into the air box, so wiggle it from there and take note when re fitting.
when it pulls out, you will see that the left hand side is open, and the right hand side is blocked off.

i don't care how you do it, but id advise a dremel if you have one. i used a small jigsaw which did it in about 2 minutes.
then it'll look like this. i went around it with a small die grinder and smoothed it out after, post picture.
Cutgrill

perfect huh. i then put this back in, and put the cover back on. as i left it like this for a few days before continuing.

so, you've removed the three screws on the grill trim.
you want to remove the trim that sits behind the rings, along the top row of slats.
You can see why, it blocks the nice new hole you've opened up! not so much of a direct / ram air getting through is there!

this is the trim we are removing.
12143245 207147672988129 7834439173825291722 n

the clips you can see long the bottom are also on top. they are simply that, clips! if you have a nosey through the grill you can see the bottom ones, push them up and push the trim and it comes loose. The top ones are slightly more difficult to get to, as you need to get to it from the top, so pull the top of the grill towards you and put your hand in behind it.
i found this difficult, so i put a screw driver through the grill, from the front, and pushed the trim backwards, whilst trying to release the clips. it soon fell out of place.

getting it out, is a bit of a pig but it does come out. keep pulling the top of the grill towards you, and you want this trim to be at the backwards slash angle \ <--- and then pull it up and out of the left hand side corner.

it looks and sounds more difficult than it really is.
this took me approx 5 minutes from start to finish, so I'm sure you can do it!

your grill has now gone from this - note the top row.
Audi s3 8v grille chrome 1

to this
Audi s3 8v grille black 1

here is mine
1502508 207147656321464 1260542700319172917 n

put the 3 screws back in and thats the hardest parts done.
not so hard huh.

so, next part, which is super was, and what helps aid towards the noise that you're going to become addicted to is, open the air box approx 8 torn screws and remove the filter.

remove this - its tight, give it a good tug! its under the filter, you cant miss it.
Snowgrill

so your box now looks like this
Box

Put the filter back in
put the top of the box back on

make sure you've put all the trims back together as they should be ( on the inlet pipe)
make sure your tools are out of the way
shut the bonnet

get in the drivers seat, start engine and go for a drive, and admire you're free yet beneficial mod.

yay.

Sorry that its a brief write up / how to, but as said, its very straight forward and when you start, you will think - pfft, RO65ERS didn't even need to post pictures with it.

Hope it helps you guys out though! ill be interested in hearing how you find it :)

P.s. the grill trim removal and trim cutting, is worth while if you are fitting aftermarket intakes as they don't change this, so you're spending £300+ on an intake and its still restricted!

Reactions: dp_motley, Ordinary23, michael pash and 9 others
Cracking write up mate. Would love a vid to hear the sound. On my blast out yesterday, was gagging for a bit more turbo spool noise!

Cracking write up mate. Would love a vid to hear the sound. On my blast out yesterday, was gagging for a bit more turbo spool noise!

its been belting it down today, so i don't think i'll be out much!
im not at work at the moment, so the next good day i get, ill throw the go pro or my phone at least into the air box, and make a video.
i will also get the mrs to stand out whilst i drive past :)

Reactions: Rumpelkillskins
Great write up but could of saved a lot of time and effort by handing your car into an Audi dealership and letting them fit the revised Intake front panel, I did the same mod as you myself only to be told by an Audi master tech that there is a revised plastic front section allowing more air flow, I've now changed to a v600 Intake

Reactions: RO65ERS
Great write up but could of saved a lot of time and effort by handing your car into an Audi dealership and letting them fit the revised Intake front panel, I did the same mod as you myself only to be told by an Audi master tech that there is a revised plastic front section allowing more air flow, I've now changed to a v600 Intake

1 i didn't know there was a revised intake panel
2 this was way more fun lol.

i will look into this piece and question my main dealer about it. if its available i will get it and mention it on here. (but i probably won't use it)

Reactions: Rumpelkillskins
1 i didn't know there was a revised intake panel
2 this was way more fun lol.

i will look into this piece and question my main dealer about it. if its available i will get it and mention it on here. (but i probably won't use it)
I was told this information at an Audi showcase event, I got talking to the Audi master tech and it was him who told me about the less restrictive revised front panel after we were talking about how stupid the original design was

Also changed the front grille now to the rs honeycomb version so I don't need to alter the top row of the oem grille

Reactions: S3 Turbo, Rumpelkillskins and Rob2k68
yes the honey combe grill is the other option, but not everyone fancies that and this doesn't require front bumper removal.

Reactions: RedRS3Reilly and Rob2k68
Defo after me a honeycomb grille!!!!! I'd be interested about the upgraded oem intake mod too! Keep us posted!

Reactions: RedRS3Reilly
Defo after me a honeycomb grille!!!!! I'd be interested about the upgraded oem intake mod too! Keep us posted!

it does look great, but i cant help but think, i don't have an RS3, so why would i do it lol.

when I've gone to forward the PM to the next person, the pictures don't work so i think its easier to make a thread.
now i didn't take pictures when i did it, maybe one or two on my phone, so I'm going to use some online images for this as well. this is BRIEF, as its self explanatory when you start doing it.

(at no point will i take responsibility if you do this and 1, don't like it. 2, don't feel you have gained the same results as me, 3, **** it up and require new trim or parts due to damage caused, 4, void any warranty. this ISNT a noticeable modification, they would have to open the inlet tube on the slam panel to see that its been cut, and they have no need to do this during servicing! and most people wouldn't notice the resonator missing when changing the air filter at service. BUT i will not state its warranty safe on any trim, or the intake system.)

So, there are a few restrictions on the standard intake - from grill to air box. (I've not changed my inlet pipe or elbow in anyway, but i plan to in due course.)

I have found, (no other mods at this time) smoother and stronger pick up from 2k, induction noise - very noticeable, sounds like i have an open cone CAI, a very nice sucking noise, and turbo noise which is absolutely stunning. a nice dump on lift off. Will i get an induction kit now. simply no. i plan on a performance foam filter! that it is. I am very VERY happy with what i have done.

the top two, is just a cover, this will tilt/rock/fold/pivot towards you, and then lift up.
the bottom three, will then allow you to pull the grill towards you approx 1 inch. this will give you enough room to get behind it, when we need to.
View attachment 85561

the section you are going to remove here, is held in place by the 2nd set of screws. it will simply pull out, BUT it is clipped into the air box, so wiggle it from there and take note when re fitting.
when it pulls out, you will see that the left hand side is open, and the right hand side is blocked off.

i don't care how you do it, but id advise a dremel if you have one. i used a small jigsaw which did it in about 2 minutes.
then it'll look like this. i went around it with a small die grinder and smoothed it out after, post picture.
View attachment 85563

perfect huh. i then put this back in, and put the cover back on. as i left it like this for a few days before continuing.

you want to remove the trim that sits behind the rings, along the top row of slats.
You can see why, it blocks the nice new hole you've opened up! not so much of a direct / ram air getting through is there!

View attachment 85564

the clips you can see long the bottom are also on top. they are simply that, clips! if you have a nosey through the grill you can see the bottom ones, push them up and push the trim and it comes loose. The top ones are slightly more difficult to get to, as you need to get to it from the top, so pull the top of the grill towards you and put your hand in behind it.
i found this difficult, so i put a screw driver through the grill, from the front, and pushed the trim backwards, whilst trying to release the clips. it soon fell out of place.

getting it out, is a bit of a pig but it does come out. keep pulling the top of the grill towards you, and you want this trim to be at the backwards slash angle \ <--- and then pull it up and out of the left hand side corner.

View attachment 85565
to this
View attachment 85566

here is mine
View attachment 85567

not so hard huh.

so, next part, which is super was, and what helps aid towards the noise that you're going to become addicted to is, open the air box approx 8 torn screws and remove the filter.

remove this - its tight, give it a good tug! its under the filter, you cant miss it.
View attachment 85568

View attachment 85569

Put the filter back in

make sure you've put all the trims back together as they should be ( on the inlet pipe)
shut the bonnet

get in the drivers seat, start engine and go for a drive, and admire you're free yet beneficial mod.

yay.

Sorry that its a brief write up / how to, but as said, its very straight forward and when you start, you will think - pfft, RO65ERS didn't even need to post pictures with it.

Hope it helps you guys out though! ill be interested in hearing how you find it :)

P.s. the grill trim removal and trim cutting, is worth while if you are fitting aftermarket intakes as they don't change this, so you're spending £300+ on an intake and its still restricted!
Tidy and informative write up R065ERS..:friends:
Just a quick question...Does the removal of the front grill cause any issues with rain water/road spray getting into the engine bay and air filter??

Reactions: SJ43, Rumpelkillskins and S3 Turbo
it does look great, but i cant help but think, i don't have an RS3, so why would i do it lol.
Think it looks nice as the bottom side grills are also honeycomb
Just a quick question...Does the removal of the front grill cause any issues with rain water/road spray getting into the engine bay and air filter??
I know that the r600 intake has a drain hole at the bottom for any water that is drawn in, I'm not 100% sure about the oem air box having a drain, will take a look at it tomorrow as its boxed in the garage somewhere

Reactions: pburv
Amazing guide!
I've done every step you describe + aftermarket filter, except removing the plastic plate behind the top row of grille.
Definitely agree on performance improvement (although some may just be running in of engine) and louder sound. Don't hear any turbo noise or such though.
Easy mod no doubt worthwhile the effort!

You will hear more turbo noise with a turbo muffler delete and an r600 intake

Reactions: S3 Turbo
[WouldTE="RedS3Reilly, post: 2699311, member: 104407"]Great write up but could of saved a lot of time and effort by handing your car into an Audi dealership and letting them fit the revised Intake front panel, I did the same mod as you myself only to be told by an Audi master tech that there is a revised plastic front section allowing more air flow, I've now changed to a v600 Intake[/QUOTE]

Have part number for the revised front panel??

Reactions: SJ43
[WouldTE="RedS3Reilly, post: 2699311, member: 104407"]Great write up but could of saved a lot of time and effort by handing your car into an Audi dealership and letting them fit the revised Intake front panel, I did the same mod as you myself only to be told by an Audi master tech that there is a revised plastic front section allowing more air flow, I've now changed to a v600 Intake

Have part number for the revised front panel??[/QUOTE]
No mate, just a conversation with an Audi master tech, I don't need one for my car so I've not looked into it as I've changed my intake to the vw r600, out of curiosity I'm going to check next week when they are back open for a part number.

Reactions: pburv, azibux1, SJ43 and 3 others
So will the rs3 grill give some performance gains? small i know may be more at higher speeds due to air being forced in think i will take that top row out later.
my only concern is water ingress?

Thanks.

Now water ingress is my biggest fear, and if anyone should test it, it should be me! Seeing as where I live it rains over 300 days of the year.
It was hammering down last night and I covered approx 50 miles in it, I plan on checking the filter to see if it's damp, but not till my foam panel filter arrives hopefully next week. The opening still sits higher than the grill, I'm not saying it isn't possible but I still think the chances are low.

I'm under the impression the OE box has a drain hole, but hands up, I didn't check. If this isn't the case I will get a drill in there.

Be interested to see if any brand new S3's automatically come with this revised panel already in place? Anyone got one to check? :)

Be interested to see if any brand new S3's automatically come with this revised panel already in place? Anyone got one to check? :)

i cant find anything about it, my only other option is to speak to the parts department.

Reactions: pburv and azibux1
16 plate ...... Still "blocked"

With the worry of water ingress etc, it would be interesting to follow a similar pattern to that behind the Audi rings, but with them slanted downwards slightly.

On my very limited knowledge on this subject, it would allow greater air flow but restrict water/objects entering the system?

Reactions: pburv and azibux1
my reasoning for not having much concern about water ingress, is that the RS style grill has no restriction behind it.

simply that reason. BUT, seeing as I've done a fair few miles last night in torrential rain, i will go and check my air box today.
I'm sure this will help people. (but again, the honeycomb grill has no restriction on the grill like the slat version. That put my mind at ease.)

Reactions: pburv and Gazjs
Perhaps the "product improvement" due out will be the first to see the new grill spoke of.

There's definately a drain in the bottom of the OEM filter box - a pipe with what looks like a one way valve at the end of it clips to the air box which is what you have to remove and refit to the VWR600 intake I had for a short time.

Reactions: RedRS3Reilly, pburv and RO65ERS
Thanks for checking @Gazjs ! Shame it's not 'fixed' on your car though

Would be good to speak to parts department to see what they say (I would, but don't have a car yet lol)

There's definately a drain in the bottom of the OEM filter box - a pipe with what looks like a one way valve at the end of it clips to the air box which is what you have to remove and refit to the VWR600 intake I had for a short time.

saves me going out in the rain and having a look.
thanks for clearing that up!

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Thanks.

Now water ingress is my biggest fear, and if anyone should test it, it should be me! Seeing as where I live it rains over 300 days of the year.
It was hammering down last night and I covered approx 50 miles in it, I plan on checking the filter to see if it's damp, but not till my foam panel filter arrives hopefully next week. The opening still sits higher than the grill, I'm not saying it isn't possible but I still think the chances are low.

I'm under the impression the OE box has a drain hole, but hands up, I didn't check. If this isn't the case I will get a drill in there.
Sorry mate ..Didn't mean to put my foot in your build thead....:whistle2:

Reactions: Rob2k68
Sorry mate ..Didn't mean to put my foot in your build thead....:whistle2:
now now, no need for that. You raised a very important and valid question, and due to my thinking of the RS grill, i failed to raise it as a potential concern for anyone else.

I'm still not going to check it till my foam panel filter arrives though. i trust @Rob2k68 comment regarding there being a drain hole.

Lol it's raining here now too. Just to save pulling it apart this is the drain tube right at the front (and lowest point) of the air box just to the right of where the front scoop attaches :-

Reactions: RO65ERS and pburv
@Rob2k68 once again comes in with a top post!

and that carbon looks luuurvly!

i have my GoPro ready to put in the air box at some point. I will probably do it tonight at some point.

I have fitted a 2" velcro strip to the inside of the air filter box (hook side), and the loop side, so the GoPro case, so it doesn't slide around!

the aim of this is so you can hear the induction noise and turbo noise - ok, louder as it'll be direct from the airbag, But it'll give you a good idea of what to be looking out for, for those who have said they cant hear it. (window down slightly and listen, I'm partially deaf, so if I can hear it, you're doing something wrong)

i will report back once i have a few minutes of film made up :)

If the noise is noticeable, that's an even better reason to hope that the dealers know about this revised panel haha... They can do it 'properly' all for free :D

You've done a good DIY job though haha

Reactions: Rumpelkillskins, pburv and RO65ERS

View attachment 85561

View attachment 85563

View attachment 85564

View attachment 85565
to this
View attachment 85566

here is mine
View attachment 85567

not so hard huh.

View attachment 85568

View attachment 85569

Put the filter back in

shut the bonnet

yay.

I remember using a small hole cutter on the oem front intake panel, was only on the car for a week like this before the r600 was installed

Reactions: RO65ERS and pburv
nice post, but,are there real gains ? I mean, some logs of increased g/s ?

thanks

nice post, but,are there real gains ? I mean, some logs of increased g/s ?

thanks

on the butt dyno there are gains.
I'm more impressed with the noise it gives!

Reactions: batch