Older but lower mileage or newer but higher mileage?

aj84

Reaction score
Hi all,

In a slight dilemma, I have two options of pretty much the same car (SQ5 3.0 tfsi)
Option 1:
Jan 18 with 26k on the clock

Option 2:
May 18 with 36k on the clock

Both have an identical spec but Option 1 has two extra bits (B&O and advanced key - neither of which I'm fussed about)

Condition - both are the same. Both have had MOT recently (strange for option 2 as first one is not due until next year) and both have advisories on a couple of tyres and chip on windscreen.

Source: Both a main dealer with Option 1 being an Audi dealer and Option 2 being a Merc dealer

Warranty: Option 1 is out of its initial 3 year but will have the standard 1 year Audi, Option 2 also has a year but 6 months of it is the original manufacturer warranty.

Owners:
Option 1 has 1 owner, Option 2 has 2 owners though looking at the MPC checks, it changed hands 2000 miles in suggesting it might have been a demo car for Audi?

Which one would you go for?
I know previously there was talk about an older car with lower mileage still having more wear on rubber/seals etc given its still exposed to the elements but in this case, we're talking about 6 months apart and 10k apart.

Thanks in advance!

Always buy on condition, spec and history, if that is equal I go for less miles generally.

of those two I'd go for option one lower miles, better spec, 5 months is not enough age to make me think twice.

Reactions: Raiden and Bishop187
Option 1. What’s the price difference between them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was buying my first car, a MK4 Golf 1.8T. I found a low mileage one. 90k km back in 2017. Being the idiotic person I was back then (am not a whole lot better now lol) I thought, ''WOW OMG a low mileage car OMG I need to have that''. Living in Spain cars barely have any rust.
I didn't realise that it may have been better to buy a higher mileage car as the higher mileage car would have majority of the things broken and replaced that the lower mileage hadn't broken yet and was about to break. AND YUP. In first 6 months of owning it I had to throw a couple hundreds into it for Timing belt, bushings, suspension etc.
Sometimes its better to buy a higher mileage car, but then you may run into the risk of having a head gasket leak lol.

I know its off-topic but I just wanted to put this out :D

Cheers
S.Pellegrino