Scratches in the clear-coat...

rcb27

Reaction score
Curious how everyone's paint is holding up. I've had my A4 3 weeks now and it seems to attract scratches like there's no tomorrow. Pretty sure the dark grey colour is not helping things but its pretty devastating to find them!
  • 2-inch scratch just under the headlight, no idea how but has polished out.
  • massive but very very light (hard to see unless you are close up) scratch on the bonnet. Suspect the jetwash and some grit are the cause. Mark is so slight I plan on doing nothing about it.
  • 8-10 inches of scratches on the boot door - again, no idea, they just 'appeared'
Our parking is a free for all in our estate - some resident bays and some on-street parking - nothing reserved. But LOADS of kids playing around. So it could be that or I might just have as neighbourhood who both dislikes me and is 'bad' at keying cars.

I can only hand-polish out as I don't have access to power to use an orbital polisher. Any ideas what is happening?

D16d941e 08f2 4e4d 960b 51a775c2cab4

Looking at that scratch I would say it has been 'induced', audi paint tend to be be quite resilient but darker colours will always show them up more...

Pram & Pushchair

Last edited:
Would hit bumper first surely
Think about when get Pram & pushchair(may be suitcase etc)out of car boot, especially parking behind closely.

Last edited:
That happen quite a lot in shopping centre, one day my old car did hit twice when I was sitting in:blink:

That happen quite a lot in shopping centre, one day my old car did hit twice when I was sitting in:blink:
They’d be picking their shopping up off the floor when I rage flipped their trolley over if I saw them do that!!!!

This is exactly why I run a number of cars. It doesn’t matter where you park someone will go out of their way to park right next to you or brush pass your car wearing a suit of armour. My new a4 sits on my drive and is used to drive to work or only places I know where it won’t be parked out in public or where I can see it. My old Golf and TT that are absolutely battered are used when I go shopping, football etc.
Other people won’t look after your stuff so you have to. The world we live in. You’d know if you made that scratch on a car. Could be the handle of a push bike. I’d be mortified if I did that to someone else car or my kids did it. Id leave a phone number for sure

I’d agree. I’m really anal about where I park, and it in the driveway at home rather than the street and I still pick up scratches. One, about that size with 24 hours of pickup!! What I will say though is that they have all come out with a decent machine polish so far, I think the clear coat on these Audi’s is pretty thick, so if you have a decent DA polisher go yourself. I found a recent big one (at least it looked awful to me) and last week, 10 mins in a body shop and all gone no bother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk