Suspension woes

airbus319

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I got a VWR spring upgrade on my S-Line the other day which has helped massively with the handling issue I had but it is bottoming out the shocks.

my question is if I convert to S3 shocks would this improve the setup? I really don't want to go aftermarket at this point.

Car is a 2014 2.0tdi S-Line

thanks

David

Were the bumpstops removed? Should of been cut down.
Why use S3 OE shocks just get a set of Bilstein B8, and not have to worry about OE shocks running on a shorter spring.
My two cents.
As your changing I'd also suggest new mounting hardware.

Reactions: Rob2k68
I really don't want to go aftermarket at this point.

Didn't you already do that?

These springs don't sound for for purpose to me. Are they specifically designed to be used with OEM shocks on a TDI? If yes then the manufacturer needs to be contacted about why their product doesn't work properly!

Didn't you already do that?

+1. The OP already went aftermarket with the VWR springs.

Hi folks,

I got a VWR spring upgrade on my S-Line the other day which has helped massively with the handling issue I had but it is bottoming out the shocks.

my question is if I convert to S3 shocks would this improve the setup? I really don't want to go aftermarket at this point.

Car is a 2014 2.0tdi S-Line

thanks

David

The S3 shocks are the same as the S-line shocks (assuming you have the S-line suspension). You need Bilstein B8, as someone else stated. There is no reason to go with the inferior S3 shocks when you have VWR springs installed.

Spookily when I told my insurance company about the springs they didn't consider the VWR brand aftermarket.

I've had ongoing issues with woolly handling which is why I opted to try new springs, the dealer claims everything is fine but I had no confidence in the car. We have 2 cars the same in our family and the other half's drive much better but we both have the exact same suspension.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Spookily when I told my insurance company about the springs they didn't consider the VWR brand aftermarket.

I've had ongoing issues with woolly handling which is why I opted to try new springs, the dealer claims everything is fine but I had no confidence in the car. We have 2 cars the same in our family and the other half's drive much better but we both have the exact same suspension.

Now I understand...

Well, if you have the S-line shocks, you are not going to notice any difference with the S3 shocks. You can either leave it, go B8, or if your insurance company is okay with it, go with VWR coilovers.

This is what is installed - https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-...line-performance-sport-spring-set-audi-s3-8v/

I think I've answered my own question, I'll need to move over to S3 shocks to gain the benefit of the Springs without the bottoming out.

If anyone has completed the VWR upgrade can you let me know please as I'm keen to hear how they performed on the S3.

thanks

David.

What was the state of the original shocks? I had a brand new Golf GTI MKV back in 08' after 6 months of ownership I put in a set of Eibach Pro Kit springs, gave me a nice comfortable drop, after 3 months and about 3000kms, one of the OE Sachs shocks had started leaking.
Out the box lots of lowering springs say they are made for use with the OE shocks but to me it's a gamble, fair enough some people have run them without problems for thousands of miles and years, for me it only lasted a few short months.
From the original post it seems your shocks are 3 years old, having them run on a shortened stroke may have been the proverbial last straw.
My suggestion would be go the Bilstein B8 way or get a new set of OE or uprated shocks the likes of Bilstein B4 or B6 and see if that helps.
Main thing is getting the setup correct that it will give back the confidence in driving, also I'd suggest getting an alignment done after all that.

Cheers

So you've installed S3 springs on a TDI? Which isn't an S3. Caveat emptor.

I would imagine that the diesel engine is heavier than the petrol one and would require springs more suited to that particular application ie FWD diesel, not AWD petrol.

I had a quick gander at the Eibach website and the spring kits for 2.0 TDI and S3 do not have the same numbers...