no power!

vrbob

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!
Reaction score
Hi all,

Need a quick response here if poss.....

On my way home from work all is ok for the first 5mins of the drive, i get to the roundabout that gets me onto the motorway sliproad and put my foot down and i get no power and the car is juddering badly.

i pull over turn it off and restart with the same issue but no lights or anything on the dashboard.

It sort of sounds like an air cooled VW when you rev it if that makes any sense.

Could this be coilpacks if so where do i get some from and how much do they cost??

If not coilpacks what else?? I don't have VAG-COM to test it.

Thanks in advance

Thats what i thought but before i went off and bought new ones i thought best to confirm with you guys....

When replacing is it advised to do all four?? Plus are they engine specific parts eg do i need APY coilpacks??

just spoke to Southampton Audi and he can get 4 coilpacks in for Saturday for £120 but i need to call him back in the next 20mins or so for him to order them.

Should i order them as it does sound similar to others with similar symptoms and should i do all four??

When mine went i opted for changing all four for piece of mind, as the ones you get now are supposedly better quality. So not essential to change all four mate but i would.

When mine went i opted for changing all four for piece of mind, as the ones you get now are supposedly better quality. So not essential to change all four mate but i would.

Cheers Steve,

Gonna go order 4 now and get them Saturday as i can't drive the car and need to get to work next week!!

will keep the old working ones as spares

I kept the old working ones as spares too mate, 3 years later and they are still in the garage not being used.

Ok ordered new ones (£122.76 inc VAT) and will get them Sat morning. just removed the old ones as the car can stay in the garage till Sat. The part number on them ends in an E which is the same as the new oredered parts so that looks ok plus it does say S3 after the part number too.

I guess mine will sit in the garage as spares too but i like to replace things like that with a whole new set.

Cheers again Steve with the advice

I thought the new ones ended in R???

Unless they are different for a Pre facelift??

Dont think its anything to worry about tho dude :)

my mate had a beezer cupra r and the coilpacks went so he purchased the cheaper ones from GSF and it still was running crap so he took it to Stealth and they said the cheaper coilpacks blew straight away! one of mine went a month later....bit strange the hot hatch chugging like a tractor.

i asked the parts guy and he said different engine codes have different part numbers the BAM engine coil packs end in an L whereas the ones for my APY engine are ending in an E.

Yeah i thought for the extra money it would be best to get OEM Audi parts as i have heard of the cheaper ones not being as good.

i asked the parts guy and he said different engine codes have different part numbers the BAM engine coil packs end in an L whereas the ones for my APY engine are ending in an E.

Yeah i thought for the extra money it would be best to get OEM Audi parts as i have heard of the cheaper ones not being as good.

You need the E ones because they screw down with allen key bolts, think the L once just push down... waiting to be corrected on this one.

thats about £20 more than my dealer charged me Rob... although i had 1 go and another intermitent so changed all four as didnt want tit happpening again, plus when you run it on less than 4 cyli9nders you risk burning out the CAT with the unburnt fuel raising temps

Yeah mine do screw down with allen key bolts so Cheers Jojo that makes me feel better that i ordered the right bits.

Yeah i limped home down the motorway and the car has been sat in the garage since then, not sure why i am paying £20 more than you did but others have said they are about £30ea so sounds about right plus i want the genune audi ones.

yup me too mate, theres are several prices...even when someone says they are getting VAG parts at trade, they aren't getting the best price possible as VAG always make a profit on them regardless....not entirely sure how it works but know several in trade and only person i know who can get 'proper' trade is the ex head mechanic that i use - incidently he didnt get my coil packs that was retail but on push down ones....

Well had to do a little trip to portsmouth as Southampton only managed to get 1 coilpack on their delivery.

Got all 4 now and fitted them and its all good car is running nice n smooth again!!

Cheers for the advice guys :)

Love it when its something easy to get a car up and running again!! :)

Glad its all sorted.

Nice simple fix. Glad to hear it. Nice that there are only 4 of them too!