Boost Stepper gauge install

Mindak

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys recently bought a boost gauge but came with no instructions and wondered if anybody can shed any light on the wiring!
its an electronic stepper gauge and had a black, white and red at the sender and red, black white and purple at the back of the gauge itself!

any ideas?

Thanks

If the colours are at all standardised then Black is ground, red is ignition, white and red or purple could be illumination. I'd advise u to contact the supplier. Also im interested to know how u plan to get ur boost pressure signal, i want to install a gauge myself

I bought it 2nd hand do could be tricky! Lol
What do you mean how will I get the signal, the vacuum goes to the sender then the signal is sent to the gauge I think!

Look it up on youtube,lots of vids on how to fit them.
Im in the same position as you I have the gauge and nothing else!!
Ive got other things to do so its pretty low on my to do list at the moment:ermm:

Iv got the sender mounted in the engine bay and gauge in the vent, waiting for vacuum pipe to come but want confirmation of where the wires go before I ruin anything! Lol

As far as I can see this is how I would wire that gauge.
Wire the black white and red on the gauge to the black white and red on the sender.
Then Connect the red to an ignition switched supply, the black to negative and purple on the gauge will be for the illumination so connect that to a point that goes live when the lights are on. The white wire is the signal wire from the sender to the gauge.
If you can find something like an interior illumination feed on a switch or a vent these are usually connected to the dimmer circuit so the gauge will dim when you adjust the dimmer on the dash.

Karl.

That's what I was thinking although heard it's best to do the positives and earths separate! Eg. Sender to battery and gauge to fuse box, and just been advised the purple could be for dimmer!
Where would I wire the dimmer so it worked properly?

Thanks

Dimmer circuit for other dash lights.
I had mine wired so it was always on. Was not too bright and worked great.

Now I've Torque on the Android which is way better, easier to install, more flexible and not considered a mod by insurance company.

Reactions: LEE69
and costs far cheaper than the gauge alone, and takes minutes to "fit"

I bought it 2nd hand do could be tricky! Lol
What do you mean how will I get the signal, the vacuum goes to the sender then the signal is sent to the gauge I think!

this is the bit i dont fully understand. U going with a digital signal from the ecu? or are u running a proper boost tap off one of the pipes/intake mani to get ur signal?

To my understanding you run the vacuum from wherever to the boost gauge sender which is mounted in the engine bay, this then transmits the signal to the gauge through a wire! Think that's how it works!

You wouldn't want to wire the battery and earths seperately that could cause issues. If you had a differential voltage between the earths this would probably cause the gauge to be innacurate.

Yes, that's how I wired it. Sensor wire out of engine bay, around wing, then simply laid between door and it's seal. No issues with wind water or crushing.
Another connection was ingnition on,power, feed from fuse box in end of dash.

To my understanding you run the vacuum from wherever to the boost gauge sàender which is mounted in the engine bay, this then transmits the signal to the gauge through a wire! Think that's how it works!

I had a question about this as I'm also going to install my boost gauge with stepper motor. If you wire the sensor to the battery would that not drain the battery? Does the boost signal then get transmitted wirelesly to the boost gauge?