Aftermarket HU in A3 8L

circa2014

Reaction score
Hi there I recently bought a 2003 1.9 TDI which is non Bose, having read around threads on here I have come to realise the general parts I need in order to replace the Concert HU with an aftermarket one. One thing I was wondering was if I were to change this over, would I only have control of the front speakers through the HU, and therefore be unable to change the levels of the stock sub and rear speakers?

If this is the case what would be my way of getting around this issue? I am generally competent with this sort of thing but if it gets too tricky I might have to get new speakers and a new sub fitted/ or perhaps have all the speakers amped together?

I was hoping someone would be able to advise me on the best course of action in order to ensure all the speakers and sub are working and controllable from the HU? And whether or not either upgraded speakers/ sub would be a good option and then whether this would be best installed by me or a professional?

Many thanks!

You have active rear speakers so an adapter is needed to get them to work sorry I can't remember what one but you should be able to look it up and secondly you need an Aerial booster as the std unit has it built in
It's a very tight squeeze behind there you have to tuck the adapters behind the glovebox so deffo worth taking that out

Hope this is of at least some help I'll try find out the adapter you need

You have active rear speakers so an adapter is needed to get them to work sorry I can't remember what one but you should be able to look it up and secondly you need an Aerial booster as the std unit has it built in
It's a very tight squeeze behind there you have to tuck the adapters behind the glovebox so deffo worth taking that out

Hope this is of at least some help I'll try find out the adapter you need
Cheers buddy, I believe it was the PC9-404 or the PC9-410, apparently there are about 8 types of configuration for the speakers and amp and sub, whether it be bose, sport models etc so this has been very confusing trying to find accurate information! Thank you for your help though I really appreciate it.

When I switched mine over, I believe I used a PC9-404, and then also had to have another adapter for a Sony stereo. The sub stopped working - I had no idea that I had one for months. It's only by amping it that it worked for a while, although it has now been swapped out for a better sub. Good luck to you; changing over the head unit definitely shouldn't be this damn hard!