Had it for less than a week :(

You can stop all but the very, very determined thief, don't make it easy for them.

But sometimes it's better if they just do that and take the car without harming the occupants in the house, as it could have ended very differently if the couldn't find the keys.

Insurance can pay for a replacement car, but not much help if you loose your life!

I'm talking about properly securing entry points and belongings, not necessarily battling in the lounge with a thief and I certainly don't think it's a good idea leaving car keys on a table next to the letterbox just because you're scared they might come in your house. Why not leave the keys in the car while you're at it.

Look, I know some people don't want to confront a thief, I understand that, but they will go for the easier targets. Make it difficult enough and they'll look elsewhere...unless you've got a £150k Lambo.

Whilst you may not want it back it's unlikely that in this case the car will have been mistreated as it would affect the price these people would get for it. Now if it's stolen for fun or to be used in crime then you really don't want to get it back.

Liquidfusion, I have a gun in the house and would never consider using it on a person all of a sudden you become the criminal. All guns are classed as Firearms under the law, whether or not they need a licence. So misuse is treated very seriously indeed. The gun your brother has to be legal must have a power less than 12 ft lbs or would need a Firearms Licence, so may just about kill a pigeon but would have little impact on a human unless fired at very close range or shot into a very vulnerable area.

Make getting the car and entry into the property as difficult as possible. Improved locks and more secure doors, never rely on a single lock, always fit bolts to the top and the bottom of doors. A professionally fitted burglar alarm doesn't cost a fortune and may even save you a little on your house insurance.

As Bristle Hound has said if you leave your car outside the use of a Disklock can be a good visual deterrent. Might make them look else where......

Any news by the way?

Last edited:
Reactions: Martinbanshee and Liquidfusion-S3
Pleased I got that 4th dan (yon-dan) in Judo ... ;)

Reactions: Martinbanshee
Gutted for you hooray33!

I had a good friend have his RS6 knicked in the same way a few years ago.... they moved his wife's A3 and drove off in the 6.
All the furniture downstairs had been turned upside down, this apparently causes confusion when you get downstairs and gives additional time for the Scum to get further away.

If it's any consolation the Police said the Thieves were more than likely stood at the side of his Bed with a Knife waiting to see if he woke up! Very Scary indeed!

As Bristle Hound has said if you leave your car outside the use of a Disklock can be a good visual deterrent. Might make them look else where......
I'll be using my Disklok on my Audi inside my garage when ever I leave it for extended periods too (ie holidays) :thumbs up:

Does anyone have any useful links for adding security/extra locks to uPVC doors? I would be interested to hear peoples recommendations. I live in quite a secluded part of the village and I have security lights, the doors are quite sturdy but I don't think they would stop a good thief with some gusto and a toolkit. I do have quite a savage cat mind.

If it's any consolation the Police said the Thieves were more than likely stood at the side of his Bed with a Knife waiting to see if he woke up! Very Scary indeed!

Exactly right, I doubt any thieves using this method of stealing cars would break into your house un-armed, as they know the occupant of the house is at home, and a confrontation is possible.

Well and good to make your house look difficult to break into, so that they select a different target, but I doubt it would have been random break in though.

Surely the safety of your family and love ones is more important than any car!

It sounds like a bit of a catch 22 to me. You could go down the route of making your house like fort knox, only to have your car robbed from you as you step out of it on your driveway, which inherently attracts greater risk to your health - Or, you leave your keys in plain view so that anyone who is determined to take it gets in and buggers off quickly, leaving you and your loved ones none the wiser until morning.

A lot of how you view security depends on individual circumstances. If you live on a busy street you may prefer the fort knox option, as a determined thief is going to cause a racket trying to break in. I don't think that method is particularly effective in isolated properties in the country, as a criminal may be less averse to causing a scene? I don't know, I'm just trying to find a middle ground between not making it too easy and making it too hard so they resort to more frightening methods.

Chub have Locks for UPVc Doors.... Homebase and B&Q stock them! Just fitted on on my Ex Wife's Apartment!

Makes me sick reading things like this and I'm absolutely gutted for you hooray33.

All this has really made me think about secure the family's properties are...the answer? Nowhere near secure enough. I think theres going to be some serious fort knoxification for me in the next few weeks. Hope anyone that has the audacity to even try and take someone else's car, let alone break into the person's home for the keys gets what they deserve :angrymod:

Reactions: hooray33
Think I'll move my mates dog in, this is an old picture when he wasn't even one!!!

Attachments

• conan.jpg
    conan.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 238
Reactions: Blackwhite, Martinbanshee and Liquidfusion-S3
Nobody should ever be able to get into your house without you knowing, especially your bedrooms when you're sleeping. Just think, in theory someone could break in and kidnap your kids, far fetched but possible.

Secure doors and windows, fit a proper alarm with panic buttons at the front door and your bedroom and add a couple of sound bombs.
Fit a dialer to the alarm, a GSM one if you have overhead phone lines.

If they still enter the house the choice is then yours how you deal with the situation, but you can at least protect your family.

I would beat them into a coma with a bat and then call it self defense, rather him than me!

Deal with the consequences after

When I got my first house I caught some teenagers braking in. After i had restrained them I was told that as long as they are in the house your ok, outside and you get arrested for assault. The copper said just make sure you drag them back inside before we get there.

Reactions: benhock101
The law should be - the minute someone breaks into your property they immediately loose all of their rights, and shooting to kill is fair game. Unfortunately its the exact opposite!

That's terrible news, I can imagine the anger and upset you must be feeling about it all. Hope you get a new car as soon as possible.

It's not quite the same but two weeks after buying my 2008 A3 (4 months ago now), it needed a new Turbo, which was gutting enough. I can't imagine how I would have felt if my brand new car got stolen after less than one week.

I love hearing about all these people with dogs, I remember watching an episode of Beat the Burgler on bbc1 a while ago. The reformed Burgler in v8's YouTube broke in and the owner was giving it some about how his German Shepard would tear him apart, all he did was break in the kitchen door, the dog came he opened the fridge and chucked it a packet of ham shut the door and carried on.

I'm not saying all dogs would do this but I bet a large amount would.

All this Rambo stuff might be great if your young but some of us last saw young many years ago.....life is precious, mine in particular.

So I agree with Martin in making it difficult to get in. I think you can still contact the Crime Prevention Officer to come and review your security.

All this Rambo stuff might be great if your young but some of us last saw young many years ago.....life is precious, mine in particular.

So I agree with Martin in making it difficult to get in. I think you can still contact the Crime Prevention Officer to come and review your security.

Exactly right Steeve, young or not, you can count yourself very lucky if you get a second chance in life, confronting a panic or calculated thief/ves that is armed can be very dangerous, best to avoid that scenario in the first place, but if it arises, best would be to let them take the car!

A car can be replaced.

A life, yours or your family, can't.

A car can be replaced.

A life, yours or your family, can't.

Yes, without doubt protect your family and don't get out of your depth protecting insured belongings, but be prepared (security not baseball bat) and it will deter all but the very determined thief.

In reality most people will never be confronted by a thief so I wouldn't stress too much about it.

Definitely review your security and improve it if required to give you peace of mind and definitely don't confront a thief if you're not sure you can deal with them.

Reactions: Phil-1
Sorry to hear the OP incident. You will feel better in time.
Make sure you get another decent car too....otherwise the to55pots have won.

And the worst thing to fear is fear. When something like this happens (and I have had a right old experience in 2007) it can get on top of you. Try not to let it........it just make the bad incident continue.

Lastly, they were after the car not you (or your family). The last thing they want is confrontation.

Reactions: hooray33 and A3_Rider
Best people not announcing stuff like attacking intruders with baseball bats etc on a public forum.

Your defence is screwed if it happens in the future, as it will now be classed as pre meditated.

Just saying..l

Reactions: A3_Rider and Liquidfusion-S3
Exactly right, I doubt any thieves using this method of stealing cars would break into your house un-armed, as they know the occupant of the house is at home, and a confrontation is possible.
Most of the people doing this either already know who you are or they've been staking out your house, so pay attention to anyone hanging around your house or sitting outside in a car for any length of time. These people are stealing to a particular order more than likely, so they're determined f******.

Beyond that, most are opportunists. If they look inside your letterbox and see a table with keys they'll do some fishing, or they'll peak through the windows to see anything obvious and if it's a lock they feel they can break on your front door they'll try that method. Beyond that, if it looks too difficult and they can't see an easy enough path they will generally move on to an easier target.

Also, get yourself a good side gate so no one can easily look round at that avenue because getting around the back is a great way of entering unobtrusively. Take it as an opportunity to review your locks, general security, the look of your house (getting some net curtains can do wonders) and your insurance. Your local crime prevention officer and police can provide good free advice if you need it.

That totally sucks, my best wishes that it comes back to you.

This is the exact reason why insurance is more expensive if you say you park your car on the drive. If you say you park it on the street it's cheaper because when the criminals break into your home they don't know exactly where your car is once they have the keys. It's even cheaper if you select on the street away from home.

When I got my first house I caught some teenagers braking in. After i had restrained them I was told that as long as they are in the house your ok, outside and you get arrested for assault. The copper said just make sure you drag them back inside before we get there.
Yes I've had something similar where we battered the guy that broke in. When Police came he was ****** and bruised and was crying to the police officer 'they hurt me'. Officers response "your lucky. If you had come into my house I would have killed you".

Reactions: benhock101, Martinbanshee, Phil-1 and 1 other person
And just another thing. Most people have no idea how they will react if they are woken up in the middle of the night, and not trained for such stressful situations.
The crims (how many are there? Are they tooled up? Etc) are full of adrenalin, wide awake and alert.
You were fast asleep a few seconds ago' and probably in your boxers. Completely disorientated.

You don't necessarily react in that situation, anything like how you would in the middle of the day. Your body will make a decision without much thought...... Fight or flight.
If you want to test this, get someone you know who works shifts to come and batter on your front door at 3am-4am (crims favourite time) and see how game you are.
Or put your phone on a really loud alarm right next to your bed (where it should be!!) to go off at that time.

Last edited:
All good advice. And I agree that at 3am most people will be disoriented, but after several years of military service I know how I would react.

A weapon next to the bed is only good if your prepared to use it. It could also be used against you If your not ready.

A good alarm, and proper security will always make them think twice

That's some mean looking dog lol
He's soft as a brush if he knows you! Saying that, there have been times when I've been to my mates house and walked in and Conan has come running straight at me and I've thought 'he does know it's me doesn't he???' and actually shouted "Conan it's meeeeee" just to make sure he knows who it is as he's landed on me all excited lol.

He's got a girlfriend who's almost as big...this is her with him as a puppy:

Conans girl

Reactions: Blackwhite
My keys are hung up in the same room as my mutt... Love his face in this picture

But seriously, sorry to hear about the car :(

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413382005420.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1413382005420.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Reactions: Blackwhite