Less than a month, new windscreen required :-(

Neil C

Reaction score
Driving between work and Lincoln on Friday evening, at the end of a hectic day,minding my own business, and this happens :

NWP 160529 0002

NWP 160529 0003

2 motorbikes and a car were coming in the opposite direction. The next thing I know "bang", and my replacement windscreen virginity has gone. What annoyed me as much as anything was the fact that I was miles from where any roads were being resurfaced :sign unfair:

Spoke with AVIVA windscreen department when I got home, and they passed on my details to National Windscreens ( even though the AVIVA website states that Autoglass are their designated repair company ).

Saturday morning I receive a call from National Windscreens, and the car is booked in for a replacement 'screen next Saturday morning. They could have done any weekday, but only up to 5pm, which is no good for me. I asked the NW representative if the replacement would be a genuine Audi part, and was told "no". The glass will, however, be the same as a genuine one, just without the Audi logo. Well, having read some of the issues that fellow Audi-sport members have had with non-genuine windscreens, I have, today, spoken with AVIVA and asked if I could have the real thing fitted. As it's a Bank Holiday weekend, they were unable to speak to NW, to find out why a genuine part was not being used, so I have to wait until Tuesday to see what is going to be done.

That happened to me last year, dangling tree branch on the road which the pickup truck driving in front of me ran underneath fast enough to cause the branch to violently swing downward and it hit my windshield.

My GEICO insurance covered it, they use Safelite Auto for the repairs and since my A3 has the Activelane camera on the windshield they had no choice but to replace it with a Genuine Audi windshield.

They tell you the glass will be the same as a genuine Audi screen, but trust me, from experience it isn't. I asked for a genuine screen (and insurance "would not agree", so I spoke with Auto Windscreens and said I would pay the difference between their screen and the genuine article. They faffed about for a couple of weeks and the cracks in my screen got so bad (I had had ballast hit it from a cement lorry coming the other way) that I stupidly agreed to have their "same as Audi" screen fitted. BIG MISTAKE. Windscreen Wiper sensor worked, but the sensitivity didn't work the same at all, on lowest setting, slightest bit of rain and off went the wipers. Spoke with my dealer service dept and all I got was "well you don't have a genuine screen". And they were right.
Fortunately the M25 came to my rescue and a few months later my screen cracked again. No messing this time, I had an OEM Audi screen fitted and harmony was restored once more.
If I were you, I'd enquire of your local dealer how much for them to fit an OEM screen. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, its nowhere near what you may think, and then claim back the maximum you can from your insurance (I got £125 back from Direct Line for not using Auto WIndscreens), taking the "hit" yourself. Trust me, if you don't get an OEM screen you will regret it.

Sorry, but just relating my personal experience. No doubt glassman will be along soon to confirm as well.

I am insured with aviva and just had screen replaced insisted on manufacturer glass as car less than two years old and had heated elements. No issues they approved and used auto glass to fit as they are also an approved aviva fitter along with national. Cost same £75 excess. This was on my wife mini last month. Two years ago had same on the audi a1 I owned and aviva did same then approved audi screen. So you can use auto glass and get original screen for same price just push for it with aviva.