Launch control - gearbox overheating

Dandanfings

Reaction score
bit worrying, so my car "might" have a stage 1 remap ;)
Did a launch last night and it made a horrible juddering noise which sounded like it came from the rear, car wasn't really going anywhere, then it squated and shot off like a rocket, but it was slower than just putting my foot down without L/C because of the time wasted juddering.
Did it again a second time and once again the same thing.

So I drove around a for 10 minutes and decided to give it one more go..... Same thing again only this time ky display flashed with "gearbox overheating adapt driving style"

Now this is quite worrying, wondering if my haldex is having issues handling the power or maybe even my DSG slipping... I'm hoping it's the rear wheels struggling for traction?

Car drives and pulls fine, takes off like a rocket without issue in S from a standing start but launch control makes it do this weird noise.

Any ideas?

Indeed if there was a remap audi might refuse a warranty.
Though I now remember it doing that when it was stock.
Of course this is all hyperthetical about the remap ;-)
Wondering if it's the tyres spinning then?

It's not though really is it as its obviously been mapped :p

Is it ok when not launching?

I've not launched yet, may wait for the snow I think haha

Nooo it's not obviously mapped... I'm just a fast driver!

It's perfectly fine for launching normally, it's incredibly fast and just grips.
But launch control causes this juddering.

When u say remap, do u mean remap or a box that gets plugged in? If its a remap you're screwed if its a dtuk box or similar you should be fine if you remove all hardware

Ok remap discussion and warranty aside please.

This is just a post to see if anyone who has used l/c has had similar things happen.

No issues with my LC. Did a few last night and occasionally the odd "slip" on one wheel if it struggles to get traction but once the haldex kicks in its off

Doing three LCs followed by some spirited driving and a final LC could well cause the overheating message to come up. The likelihood of receiving this message increases if you're remapped due to the extra forces involved.

D
No issues with my LC. Did a few last night and occasionally the odd "slip" on one wheel if it struggles to get traction but once the haldex kicks in its off

Does that slip sound like juddering?

Nothing to worry about I know I have clutch slip when launching and I know a few others that have had that message just let the box cool down. What you need is a gearbox map when they get released.

just take the map off if your going in for warrenty work and you should be fine despite the opinion of this forum that unless you have a box your screwed :/.

Reactions: Dandanfings
D

Does that slip sound like juddering?
Guess you could mistake it for a light judder but not really. More like a scrabble of tyre but its very brief before it locks and your off

don't like the feeling when the computer cuts power, i am more than capable with my own foot.

Reactions: s1ldn_
Got to be jealous of someone that thinks quicker than a computer

Reactions: AudiRace, abmat, TonkS3 and 2 others
Extrasensory perception or ESP, also called sixth sense, includes reception of information not gained through the recognized physical senses but sensed with the mind.......

/sorry ;)

Reactions: abmat, Martinbanshee and Cymru09
bit worrying, so my car "might" have a stage 1 remap ;)
Did a launch last night and it made a horrible juddering noise which sounded like it came from the rear, car wasn't really going anywhere, then it squated and shot off like a rocket, but it was slower than just putting my foot down without L/C because of the time wasted juddering.
Did it again a second time and once again the same thing.

So I drove around a for 10 minutes and decided to give it one more go..... Same thing again only this time ky display flashed with "gearbox overheating adapt driving style"

Now this is quite worrying, wondering if my haldex is having issues handling the power or maybe even my DSG slipping... I'm hoping it's the rear wheels struggling for traction?

Car drives and pulls fine, takes off like a rocket without issue in S from a standing start but launch control makes it do this weird noise.

Any ideas?

Hi Dandanfings,

Came across your thread as i researched the same issue you experienced going for a spirited drive and doing a couple of launches. How you explained your experience mine was 'Exactly' the same. I was just wondering if you have fixed the issue or what to do.

Car is a Late 2013 model and is Stage 1 Remap but NO DSG remap. Does that fix the issue? what did you do after the experience?

Kind Regards,

Jason

If I remember rightly he moved the car on pretty quickly ...feel sorry for the new owner of that one !!

Oh really :grimacing: Do you have any idea then on what to do, Ive been quite cautious with my car since.

Sorry carnt help you with your car ..But his was heavily modified with big turbo.

I haven’t see @Dandanfings on here for a long long time and has moved on to a different car now.

Not sure if you will get a reply.

Only time I have had a warning for gearbox temp was when I hadn't the brake buried deep enough before launch

Been on numerous drag racing days with 10-15+ launches with no issues. The more you launch, the more the gearbox needs serviced so you may have burnt your oil. The juddering as well could be haldex related or a combination of both so I would get a full service on them.

What is your opinion of the Revo tune considering one ?

I'm Revo Stage 3+ and have been since October 2018 - car driven daily 50+ miles and nothing tuning related has given me bother.

I've Revo mapped all my cars since 2009 and will continue to do so, I have great faith in the company.

Reactions: Marcrs3
Personally, even if I had launch control I would NEVER use it especially on a modified car. It's so mechanically unsympathetic. I mean, are you really trying to kill expensive components just so you can get to 60 maybe a few tenths of a second quicker?

It is possibly some kind of weird interaction between the haldex, wheel spin, traction control, auto box trying to work out what to do with flying revs. Mine is stage 1.5 and manual and easily lights the wheels up in the wet without launching just from the sheer amount of torque when it kicks in. Yes, the traction control is annoying but with it switched off all it does is spin up to oblivion and smash into the ridiculously abrupt rev limiter. This is even worse than the TC kicking in and it happens so fast there is literally no time to react. I have learnt that it's best to leave the TC on and just let it do its annoying but sympathetic thing

@Damo S not wanting to tempt fate on my own gearbox but personally, I have launched 100+ times at various events with 480bhp and no issues.

As long as you have a decent TCU map, keep on top of servicing and be mechanically sympathetic i.e. dont launch after launch, have a break between them, it should be fine to withstand multiple uses

I think in my ownership though I have only ever launched the car twice on a public road, always been on track/drag strip

It is possibly some kind of weird interaction between the haldex, wheel spin, traction control, auto box trying to work out what to do with flying revs. Mine is stage 1.5 and manual and easily lights the wheels up in the wet without launching just from the sheer amount of torque when it kicks in. Yes, the traction control is annoying but with it switched off all it does is spin up to oblivion and smash into the ridiculously abrupt rev limiter. This is even worse than the TC kicking in and it happens so fast there is literally no time to react. I have learnt that it's best to leave the TC on and just let it do its annoying but sympathetic thing
That sounds just like how my Stage 1 behaved when the Haldex was borked. Doesn’t sound right to me.

An 8V S3 should just grip and go with no TC interventions, nor wheel spin with it off. Mine drove completely differently once my Haldex was fixed - the interaction between TC, throttle etc is such that a broken S3 will hold back a lot.

Personally, even if I had launch control I would NEVER use it especially on a modified car. It's so mechanically unsympathetic. I mean, are you really trying to kill expensive components just so you can get to 60 maybe a few tenths of a second quicker?

Have never launched mine they are quick enough without.

Reactions: Damo S
That sounds just like how my Stage 1 behaved when the Haldex was borked. Doesn’t sound right to me.

An 8V S3 should just grip and go with no TC interventions, nor wheel spin with it off. Mine drove completely differently once my Haldex was fixed - the interaction between TC, throttle etc is such that a broken S3 will hold back a lot.

It does have 400lbs foot of torque to deal with, and when it comes it hits pretty hard. I'm kind of not surprised it can struggle in the wet in 1st and 2nd if the surface isnt great or the wheels aren't pointing dead straight.

But, you may well be right. I have the haldex serviced every 10k and it had a new pump about 20k ago but that doesnt mean the haldex itself isnt guffed. Was it a replacement pump you had or an entirely new haldex?

It does have 400lbs foot of torque to deal with, and when it comes it hits pretty hard. I'm kind of not surprised it can struggle in the wet in 1st and 2nd if the surface isnt great or the wheels aren't pointing dead straight.

But, you may well be right. I have the haldex serviced every 10k and it had a new pump about 20k ago but that doesnt mean the haldex itself isnt guffed. Was it a replacement pump you had or an entirely new haldex?
400nm big difference to 400lbs foot

My actual Haldex unit had an issue to do with insufficient machining internally - never heard of that elsewhere - but the pump wasn’t too good either. The car seemed like it drove quite well apart from wheelspin in the wet and TC light on hard acceleration… which is why it took me 4 months to work out something was amiss. Fixing it transformed the way it drives.

400nm big difference to 400lbs foot

indeed, I really did mean 400lbs foot too. It's a huge increase over stock figures and can really unsettle the car. I found it a bit dull in stock form as it didnt really have the torque to do anything funky but now it does.