Power steering noise

disk0

Reaction score
Just noticed this yesterday, I thought at first it was a front wheel bearing due to the whine seemly coming from the front drivers side.

However I starting the car today its very obvious the power steering is making the noise. When I was just stock still it started whining as soon as I fired up the ignition, turning either left or right seems to change the tone of the whining. The car's done 98,000 now so perhaps it just requires some attention, not sure of the last time the steering fluid and brake fluid would have been changed.

I love this car but its fast becoming a money pit, hopefully this will not be an expensive job.
Any ideas or suggestions welcome as I really do not have a clue until I take this to my local garage on Monday.

No will have a look tomorrow, just assumed it was mechanical as it came out of nowhere

Also, if you don't know when the fluid was last changed, probably time to get it changed (especially the brake fluid).

Reactions: disk0
If possible can you get a recording of the sound attached to thread?

It was the steering fluid, it appears I have a leak at some point. I park on the road so have not noticed any oil spots until now

Mine does this every few months, still not identified where the leak is however. Just needs topping up and it lasts a few more months.

had a very similar issue with mine, fluid was disapearing slowly with no real sign of oil on the ground or in the engine bay, level dropped off the dipstick, steering behaved really bonkers aswell with some odd noises even when the oil was between max-min mark, anyway, turned out steering rack was a bin job and had to be replaced last week at 34k miles.

Surely at 34k it should be replaced under warranty??

Has anyone tried any of the 'leak stop' fluids which are available? Seem to work wonders on lots of vehicles but no conclusive proof that they work on modern Audis?

Surely at 34k it should be replaced under warranty??

Has anyone tried any of the 'leak stop' fluids which are available? Seem to work wonders on lots of vehicles but no conclusive proof that they work on modern Audis?

some will be replaced if under warranty, but a lot wont, all depends on what the exact problem is and what the warranty is and covers.
there does appear to be a few issues with racks that are covered under warranty, best check with audi for full details.