Power Steering/AC Noise

READER84

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a couple of issues, possibly related. My steering whines when under strain or on full lock. And also noticed a difference in engine noise when i turn the air con on. Like an intermittent whirring sound. Could it possibly be belt related? Ive had a quick look at alternator belt and it seems fine as was only changed last year. Any ideas anyone?

Its an 05 2.0tdi B7

Thanks

It's normal for the air con to put extra strain on the engine, happens when the aircon clutch engages (feels like a lumpy idling), also the electric fan will run all the time with a/c on.

Steering whine could be normal when going lock to lock but it depends how noisy that is, difficult to tell from here.

Both noises are new, and excessive. Even the wife noticed the extra noise from aircon the other day!

Then you need to take it to someone who is good with Audis, get an informed opinion on how noisy is noisy.

READER84

Check the pulley on your alternator.... It is very likely that this pulley has to be replaced if not done so lately...
I had my alternator bearings checked and the pulley replaced at the same time... The noise will only be heard
once the power steering gets to the maximum left or right hand lock position with engine idling....

malan128